Top Secret Leopard Features for New Hardware?

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 38
    top secret features....





    ummm has no-one noticed that finder was not mentioned at all?



    surely it's time for a (major) finder update.



    especially as it's been a while since apple advertised for those designers to work on finder.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    Topsecret steve job is includind a photot of steve jobs and woz.

    Just kidding.



    Any boddy who descuses WWDC 06 or lepoard; apple will file a sute agenst anysite printing

    therie... .



    Smile
  • Reply 23 of 38
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Hint:



    Edit => Spelling => Check Spelling as You Type
  • Reply 24 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shakerben


    top secret features....





    ummm has no-one noticed that finder was not mentioned at all?



    surely it's time for a (major) finder update.



    especially as it's been a while since apple advertised for those designers to work on finder.





    O.K. not evre one just WWDC 06 people and Leopard holders of there disks.:





    Can no talk to much.

    Dont got leopard did't atend wwdc 06 but I don't want to gess, to much.

    p.s. this was ment to be a replly to the photo of steve woz.

    you could larph at clasifide picture of steve and steve.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TednDi


    Hint:



    Edit => Spelling => Check Spelling as You Type



    /jelous I'm running Firefox on XP. <supresses gag reflex>
  • Reply 26 of 38
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo


    Wow, I actually had that idea the other day. Something that would be seen as a seperate partition or mounted volume in the Finder sidebar, with a little safe icon, that you could drag crap into and out of without encrypting your whole hard drive.



    Just create an encrypted Disk Image in Disk Utility and apply password proetction. That would appear in the Side Bar and I think it'd be encrypted without FileVault and the snags that causes.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celemourn


    Ok, trackin now. I did not mean to imply dependance. That WOULD be goofy.



    I never thought you implied dependance. I think ic wanted the fight!
  • Reply 28 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes


    I never thought you implied dependance. I think ic wanted the fight!



    lol.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Leopard is not all that functionally different than Tiger. It's got the new features, yes, but otherwise the rest all looks and feels the same. Outside of the new features there are some "tweaks" like the revamp of Directory Access to Directory Utility, printer setup all done in System Preferences, new Spotlight-like Help feature, and the battery menu health (which works pretty good by the way). There just has to be some major enhancements coming. Otherwise this looks more like a 10.4 update. Whether they weren't shown for hardware-related reasons or not, I don't know but that's my assessment of the situation.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755


    Leopard is not all that functionally different than Tiger. It's got the new features, yes, but otherwise the rest all looks and feels the same. Outside of the new features there are some "tweaks" like the revamp of Directory Access to Directory Utility, printer setup all done in System Preferences, new Spotlight-like Help feature, and the battery menu health (which works pretty good by the way). There just has to be some major enhancements coming. Otherwise this looks more like a 10.4 update. Whether they weren't shown for hardware-related reasons or not, I don't know but that's my assessment of the situation.



    We'll be finding out here in a few days. I think I read that Merom's official release date was supposed to be the 28th, which is Monday. Intel's website still doesn't list Core 2 Duo as a laptop processor.. Which means that merom was only announced, not launched. So I think we'll likely see a gob of PC manufacturers announce new/upgraded products featuring merom on monday. Apple might be one, but I'm hedging my bets on Tuesday, September 5. We may even see Leopard sooner than we expect (not necessarily in the next month, just sooner.)
  • Reply 31 of 38
    I don't think we see Leopard in consumer hands pre-MWSF. I mean, right now, we have an alpha build. It has some of the Leopard features bolted onto a hybrid Tiger-Leopard kernel. Apple has more in store for us, and those announcements don't just show up on the website with a press release, unlike Macbooks or something. And those features probably have to be in front of developers at least two months before we get them, so I don't expect to see anything in 2006.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,275moderator
    What worries me is that currently Leopard is reported as quite stable, though there are some reports of instability here and there, and if Apple release a whole load of features out to the public without developer testing then it may cause serious problems.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    No, there will be developer testing of the features that could be unstable. But some stuff (UI changes, for example) is superficial and unlikely to cause major bugs. They won't switch filesystems and not announce until release day. I expect to hear more about Leopard at the One More Thing event in Oct/Nov, and at MWSF, with a release a few weeks to two months later.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski


    No, there will be developer testing of the features that could be unstable. But some stuff (UI changes, for example) is superficial and unlikely to cause major bugs. They won't switch filesystems and not announce until release day. I expect to hear more about Leopard at the One More Thing event in Oct/Nov, and at MWSF, with a release a few weeks to two months later.



    Has OMT become annual? or do you know about one comming up that Apple hasn't posted to thier Upcomming Events page?
  • Reply 35 of 38
    There will be at least one major keynote that hasn't been announced. They need to update the iPods, and that only happens at events (the most press). I expect two events, with one iPod at each, and some other stuff at each event.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slughead


    I bet there's going to be a mini file-vault built into the OS that you can stash porn in.



    We already have one of those. On my machine, it's called 'Boring Work Stuff.dmg'
  • Reply 37 of 38
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    A new hardware/software feature I'd like to see: the ever elusive resolution independence coupled with ultra-high resolution screens.



    I'm sick of having to read PDFs on low-res 72-100dpi screens. Text's all fuzzy and blurry compared to books or laser printouts. Wouldn't it be cool to have 300dpi color screens which give printout-like sharpness to text?



    Leopard is supposed to get resolution-independence to a useful level (from Tiger's initial stages). All we need is that 300dpi color LCD tablet and we finally have a perfect eBook reader.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT


    A new hardware/software feature I'd like to see: the ever elusive resolution independence coupled with ultra-high resolution screens.



    I'm sick of having to read PDFs on low-res 72-100dpi screens. Text's all fuzzy and blurry compared to books or laser printouts. Wouldn't it be cool to have 300dpi color screens which give printout-like sharpness to text?



    Leopard is supposed to get resolution-independence to a useful level (from Tiger's initial stages). All we need is that 300dpi color LCD tablet and we finally have a perfect eBook reader.



    All that we need? Do you know how hard a 300 dpi color LCD would be to make?



    Although Samsung, I think, just came out with a 3", 200 DPI screen.
Sign In or Register to comment.