Apple Press Conference Sept 25

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celemourn

After the debacle surrounding version 1.0 and 1.1, recall that Apple disbanded the entire development team.

1. Aperture could be better, but is already an amazing app (at least since 1.1). I absolutely LOVE it (granted, I'm just a hobby photographer, but still)

2. The development team was reshuffled, but not as drastically as TS made it appear.

I expect at least an update to version 1.5 as well as support for some cool new hardware.

Edit: oh, BTW, to my taste your posts are way better off without the "predicto" stuff, but maybe that's just me.....
  • Reply 22 of 25
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

<Dons Flame Retardant Merlin Robes and the pointy Predicto!!! Hat>

Predicto Sayeth that Aperture will not see an update. After the debacle surrounding version 1.0 and 1.1, recall that Apple disbanded the entire development team. Sixish months is likely too short a time to do the full rebuild that Aperture requires. Recall that it was said that the code was "a mess".

Rather, at Photokina, we will see the introduction of new display technology. Apple will combine their current Cinema Displays with either a dedicated or a BTO option of a Wacom Penabled digitizer. Making this a standard feature on their displays will revolutionize the way that photographers interact with their computers and their photos.

Apple's displays are currently priced at the top end of what the market will bear, yet LCD prices are dropping rapidly. By adding the relatively innexpensive digitizer option, Apple will be adding tremendous value to it's products and will be able to maintain high profit margins. This in addition to adding yet another distinctive feature to one of it's product lines.

Predicto hath SPOKEN!!!

<Dives for the bomb shelter!!>

iMac with a touch screen?
  • Reply 23 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dutch pear

1. Aperture could be better, but is already an amazing app (at least since 1.1). I absolutely LOVE it (granted, I'm just a hobby photographer, but still)

2. The development team was reshuffled, but not as drastically as TS made it appear.

I expect at least an update to version 1.5 as well as support for some cool new hardware.

Edit: oh, BTW, to my taste your posts are way better off without the "predicto" stuff, but maybe that's just me.....

The predicto tags are to indicate that the predictions don't have a heck of a lot to back them up and therefore shouldn't really be taken too seriously. Meant for fun.

I agree on Aperture. On the user interface side of the program they did a great job. If I recall correctly the issue was code optomization and general housekeeping. Messy code makes for a HORRIBLE time of trying to patch, upgrade, add features, or optomize routines after the initial release.

I wouldn't be surprised by a sub 2.0 update. Do doubt that we'll see 2.0 though.

I think Apple must have something bigish up their sleeves since they called an actual press conference. The fact that they have supposedly not been to Photokina before, or not called a PC there before... not clear on which it is... also indicates to me that something is pending.

RE penabled dispays: It seems like a rather natural thing, considering the size of their graphics proffessionals user base, and the fact that it's really no more complex than slipping a big piece of film with wires printed on it into a slot on the display module, then tossing on a control board and an extra piece of glass on the front. I expect that such an addition would cost less than $200 in raw materials once Wacom puts sensor boards (that piece of film I mentioned) into mass production.

Of course, that also means that it would be stupid easy to add a digitizer to the iMac. And the MacBook, and the MacBook Pro.

It's a fun idea, and I'd love to see it happen. We'll find out soon I guess.

I DO believe that the reports of an Ultra-Portable will turn out to be true, after a fashion. If I were to bet on it, I'd put my money on a ULV Core 2 Duo Tablet with a hybrid touch/pen display, bout 10" diag., with SD or compact flash, and generally low power specs. There is a big hole in Apple's lineup where the portable counterpart to the Mini should be.

I'm gonna go eat my pizza now.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash

iMac with a touch screen?

eh..... TOUCH SCREEN.... I think Apple has developed a proprietary screen which we may see in a tablet by the end of the year... I feel that it might be more likely to see a Wacom digitizer in an iMac though.... but then, if Apple already has the tech in house, why would they go to a third party?

Hmmm......
  • Reply 25 of 25
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

eh..... TOUCH SCREEN.... I think Apple has developed a proprietary screen which we may see in a tablet by the end of the year... I feel that it might be more likely to see a Wacom digitizer in an iMac though.... but then, if Apple already has the tech in house, why would they go to a third party?

Hmmm......

Either way it would be extremely cool. Drag and drop, menus etc. with a pen or finger is waaaay faster than using the mouse... Of course, it would have to be designed to be intuitive, consistent, etc. to really be a good experience. But that's Apple's area of expertise ain't it?