we've always been at war with oceania
  • Reply 22 of 29
    we've always been at war with eurasia
  • Reply 23 of 29
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hardeeharhar

we've always been at war with oceania

I thought it was Eurasia we were at war with? I'm so confused.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    ehehhhehhhheh...
  • Reply 25 of 29
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Wow that's interesting. So "conducting business with a terrorist organization" includes relaying their message for free?

Did you know that most people in the united states are violating at least 1 JAILABLE federal law? If they had adequate surveillance, the FBI could jail almost anybody they wanted to. Legally.

Great, so you found an example of the government violating the 1st ammendment.. what about the other 9 in the Bill of Rights?

Well hell, the 4th has been crapped on for decades. The 2nd ammendment started its steady decline under Kennedy.

The constitution is old news. Get used to it. We don't live under a "police state" quite yet, but that'll happen when the next crisis-of-the-day comes along.

Yep, we really are that screwed.. My solution? Stay out of politics.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    spcmsspcms Posts: 407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash

I find this absolutely ridiculous:

http://www.voanews.com/english/2006-08-24-voa54.cfm.

Someone please explain how this is not trampling on the freedom of the press.

EDIT: The link is to a story about a man who is being charged with relaying programs from Hezbollah's television station to NY residents.

Well, the guy who broadcasted the thing apparently owns a media distribution company. If he is paying al-Manar anything for this service, they were probably right to arrest him (under the logic he was indirectly funding terrorism). However, the same can be said for your average oil company, so the mistake probable was to give the label of 'a terrorist entity' to a television station.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    spcmsspcms Posts: 407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by segovius

Except that Hizbollah are not a terrorist organization......

Didn't you get the memo, Greenpeace and the UN are terrorist organizations also these days...
  • Reply 28 of 29
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Sometimes I'm sure glad I live in Switzerland.