The time is ripe for a 23" iMac

Comments

• Reply 21 of 101
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    I would not buy one for myself, but I could argue that a 23" iMac is the ideal size. It would be about the same size as a 20" iMac, but the display area would have no large border. It would be better looking than the current iMacs, but heavier.

I don't think we can make a good argument for anything larger, however.
  • Reply 22 of 101
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Having purschased a Dell 24" for my PB G4, i can tell you that a 23" iMac would be very nice indeed. Im enjoying the viewing enhancement. That said, im considering a MB and not a MBP (partner has one anyway), since the 13" allows better portability or a 23" iMac for better performance ('borrow' the MBP if the need arises). Although id have to ebay the Dell if the specs of the '23" iMac' blow me away!
  • Reply 23 of 101
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    The 23" iMac would also have the space for a second hard drive, which would be used for back-up /Time Machine use.

mrtotes
  • Reply 24 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes

The 23" iMac would also have the space for a second hard drive, which would be used for back-up /Time Machine use.

mrtotes

i like your thinking.
  • Reply 25 of 101
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    The difference between 20" and 23" $300, just add that to 20" iMac - $1999

23" iMac - $1999 is doable (whatever the specs may be, bit higher than 20", one step higher CPU, one step higher the GPU, 1GB RAM, is a nice Specs)

It will harden fight against the PC world.

IMHO, iMac still stands out (when compared to PC world), It time to make it better.

We could see this after 16th Sep when iPod offer expires.
  • Reply 26 of 101
    I like that idea, but if Apple is going to go that route, I think they'll do it when they put C2D in the iMac and not two weeks later just to wait till the end of the iPod deal. They'll all come out together or this one wont come out at all.
  • Reply 27 of 101
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Commodus

I remember the 23" iMac always being a ludicrous rumour in the past. It was always too expensive, too big, too much display attached to a computer, and so forth. But I sit here in front of my 20" iMac and it doesn't seem big enough.

Consider this: the current 20" iMac is $1699, but that was before the 20" Cinema Display dropped $100 in price. Let's say that makes the next 20-inch model $1599. The 23" Cinema dropped a massive $300 down to $999. Are you following this so far?

Now consider that the least expensive Mac Pro is $2124. That's a pretty large window of opportunity for an interim model. In theory, Apple could have a lower-end Mac Pro - but I don't think they'll do that.

If anything, a 23" iMac would make more sense given Apple's philosophy and the increasing importance of HD video. It'd make a good future platform for Blu-Ray once that becomes feasible for the iMac. The 23" iMac would also make for a killer dorm room (or budget apartment dweller) PC. I could see specs like these in a Fall 2006 model:

- 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo (1066MHz bus)

- 1GB DDR2 RAM at 667MHz

- 16X Superdrive

- 320GB hard drive

- 256MB Radeon X1650 Pro graphics

That's actually not very far-fetched. I think Apple could do it for $1899. The only problem I would see is that the desktop Core 2 Duo generates more heat, which could create more noise or affect the reliability of components. It's just a lot more expensive to have mobile Core 2 chips, which probably aren't needed here.

Not only I agree with what you said (just not sure about the specification details), but this was the first thing that came to my mind when the Cinema Display price drops were announced. I would go a liitle further and say that Apple could offer a 23" model in two configurations, making good use of the Conroe chips. It is certain that Apple cannot use a Conroe in the 17" and 20" models without sacrificing the machine's silence. And we know well how bad press Apple got because of this in the past.
  • Reply 28 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DD_nVidia

The CPU up to 2.66Ghz simply because 23" is alot of space behind that screen, and really, if it could handle a G5 @ 20" then a Core 2 Duo @ 23" shouldn't pose much of a problem. The Core 2 Duo I think uses 3 Watts more in Performace per Watt, Apple arn't happy about it on the "Menroms" but I am not sure about the "Conroe" but I would imagine mabye a little higher, mabye 6 or 7 watts.

The G5 in the iMacs was around 45-50 Watts. And the heat and noise issues because of this are well known. Conroe can push that at 65 Watts (I don't remember at which clock speed, perhaps 2.4 GHz). This is more than double the power requirements for Merom and Yonah. I think that we will hardly ever see a Conroe in the 17" and 20" iMacs.
  • Reply 29 of 101
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB

The G5 in the iMacs was around 45-50 Watts. And the heat and noise issues because of this are well known. Conroe can push that at 65 Watts (I don't remember at which clock speed, perhaps 2.4 GHz). This is more than double the power requirements for Merom and Yonah. I think that we will hardly ever see a Conroe in the 17" and 20" iMacs.

This is puzzling to me, why would Apple knowingly restrict themselves to laptop chips in their desktop computers when they are going to be competing more closely with Wintel computers than at any time in the past? And why would they constrain their product line to two chips and risk delays to multiple systems if one of these chips had a problem but another (the one they are not using) did not? This doesn't make sense to me. Maybe there is a new iMac design for the Conroe, or a lower powered Tower coming...but If the iMac is restricted to the Morem and there is not another Conroe Mac coming out then I think that it is very short sighted of Apple.
  • Reply 30 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JCG

Maybe there is a new iMac design for the Conroe, or a lower powered Tower coming...

This is certainly a possibility.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JCG

but If the iMac is restricted to the Morem and there is not another Conroe Mac coming out then I think that it is very short sighted of Apple.

I think the Conroe iMac would be a 23" model.
  • Reply 31 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB

This is certainly a possibility.

I think the Conroe iMac would be a 23" model.

If thats the case, and trust me I'm all for it, what of the 17/20" models? I have been saying all along that the 17" would be EDU only and the consumer iMac would only be 20" with the potential of a 23" but if you're saying the only iMac size capable of holding a Conroe, what does the 20" get, a Merom? Does it stick with Yonah?
  • Reply 32 of 101
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    I would hope that Apple keeps the 17" iMac around and lowers the entry price for the iMac to $999 rather than limiting it to EDU sales only. A 17" wide screen is a great size for a lot of people, and some might acrually prefer it to a larger screen due to space restrictions.
  • Reply 33 of 101
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Space restrictions?

It's less than 3 inches (or 7 cm)

There are no people on this earth who would pass the 20" in favor of the 17" because of space restrictions.

Maybe apple will ditche the 17" iMac consumer version in favor of the edu iMac at a lower price (edu plus $100).
  • Reply 34 of 101
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam

The difference between 20" and 23" $300, just add that to 20" iMac - $1999

if only it were that simple
  • Reply 35 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdcfsu

...but if you're saying the only iMac size capable of holding a Conroe, what does the 20" get, a Merom? Does it stick with Yonah?

The 20" iMac can get a Conroe but this would make a noisy machine (very noisy when the processor is taxed). I believe it will take on of the mobile processors (Yonah or Merom), but which one depends on the way Apple handles the issue.
  • Reply 36 of 101
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rageous

if only it were that simple

For a 2 Billion dollar company it is not easy or tough ... as long as there is market they can do it.

it will be lame if the still put merom in any of the iMacs ....

MacMini - Yonah (even a low end merom since price points are similar from intel)

MacBook & Pro - Merom

iMac - Conroe

Mac Pro - Woodcrest

this is best when dealing with intel ... so that everyone in PC side shall compare and get one of these beautiful machines ... otherwise it will be pityful for apple and for fanboy like me
  • Reply 37 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB

The 20" iMac can get a Conroe but this would make a noisy machine (very noisy when the processor is taxed). I believe it will take on of the mobile processors (Yonah or Merom), but which one depends on the way Apple handles the issue.

Here is hoping for a new iMac design that can handle a Conroe then, I think that it is a bad idea for Apple to use the Morem in both the iMac and the MacBook Pro. Add in the eventual adoption of the Morem in the MacBook and I think that is too many products to rely on one processor for when there is another available that is better suited for desktop use in the iMac. And one thing is sure, if the iMac goes Morem then the Mini will eventually get it as well, so that is 4 products with the same processor.
  • Reply 38 of 101
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    I thought the iMac would handle a Conroe because it had similar heat levels to the G5 that was in the original iMac iSight model?
  • Reply 39 of 101
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam

For a 2 Billion dollar company it is not easy or tough ... as long as there is market they can do it.

your reply has next to nothing to do what i was commenting on. you can't simply look at the price difference between a 20" and 23" display, and think that will be the sum total of the extra cost incurred by making a new 23" iMac.
  • Reply 40 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajprice

I thought the iMac would handle a Conroe because it had similar heat levels to the G5 that was in the original iMac iSight model?

I think that the Intel iMac is thinner than the original iMac G5.