Core 2 Duo launches monday

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WhetWurm

No, but everyone understands "newer chip." If they go to CompUSA (which sells MBP's next to Windows laptops), and they ask what's the difference between the Apple and the Toshiba, any idiot will be able to compare specs. The sales associate will say, "this Toshiba has a 'newer chip' in it; the new Core 2 Duo." And we all know people like to have the newest and greatest, especially when they cost the same.

I would be extremely surprised if the desire for a Core 2 Duo is going to overwhelm even one person's decision to go with Apple vs. Dell. Almost no one will even know if there's one or the other in their laptop, and the knowledgeable shoppers will understand that there isn't that big of a difference anyway.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be argumentative with you just for fun. I just don't think it matters in the slightest for comparison shoppers whether Apple releases immediately or in a month. I understand if someone wants to wait for the next release rather than buying now, of course. But this is much too minor of a chip change to make any difference in Apple vs. PC competitors' sales.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    Apple will have had the same samples and tech support from Intel that the other companies had and will now have the same level of supply. Apple's release is going to be based on the supply of Merom processors and chipsets (which appears to be tight right now) and I believe they will make the move as soon as they can. I have a feeling that they may even make the switch in the factory before they make the formal announcement and put it on the Apple Store.

Basically I see Core 2 being shipped by Sep 5th - assuming that the supplies are available.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell

I would be extremely surprised if the desire for a Core 2 Duo is going to overwhelm even one person's decision to go with Apple vs. Dell. Almost no one will even know if there's one or the other in their laptop, and the knowledgeable shoppers will understand that there isn't that big of a difference anyway.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be argumentative with you just for fun. I just don't think it matters in the slightest for comparison shoppers whether Apple releases immediately or in a month. I understand if someone wants to wait for the next release rather than buying now, of course. But this is much too minor of a chip change to make any difference in Apple vs. PC competitors' sales.

No worries about the arguing... it's a forum. Just friendly discussion.

You may be right about the average person not really caring about a simple chip replacement. But I've worked in retail for a long time and have seen some wierd consumer trends. Everything from the "MHz Wars" to Sony's purple VAIO's... I guess that's why I was hoping a business educated person could pan it out for us.

As for the before labor day comments, I don't think Apple really cares that much. They never really follow the normal business practices. Their retail presence fairly minimal compared to Sony, so the typical holiday sales (except Christmas) aren't really an impact I guess.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus

Apple will have had the same samples and tech support from Intel that the other companies had and will now have the same level of supply. Apple's release is going to be based on the supply of Merom processors and chipsets (which appears to be tight right now) and I believe they will make the move as soon as they can. I have a feeling that they may even make the switch in the factory before they make the formal announcement and put it on the Apple Store.

Basically I see Core 2 being shipped by Sep 5th - assuming that the supplies are available.

Agreed.

Apple's front page could get 3 small PICTs at the bottom:

- MacBook Pro, now with Core 2 Duo (that means same configs, same speeds, same prices)

- MacBook, now with Core 2 Duo (that means same configs, same speeds, same prices)

- Mac mini, now faster with Core 2 Duo (that means I expect a speedbump to dual-core 1.66 and 1.83GHz but same prices)

The big PICT could be for the iMac, especially if it gets a Conroe cpu and a speedbump (2.13/2.40) and/or a big brother (23").

Real desktop chipset and other components...

I can wait a month or two for a brand new headless desktop Mac.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix

The big PICT could be for the iMac

<you hear dice roll>

Nope. MacTablet.

<grabs fire extinguisher and prepares to get flamed>