First builds of Mac OS X 10.4.8 released to developers

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple Computer on Monday released to developers the first pre-release builds of Mac OS X 10.4.8, a maintenance and bug fix update for its Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger operating system that is currently under development.

In addition to improving the stability and performance of Tiger, sources say Apple will target specific enhancements towards AFP, DVD Player, iCal, iPhoto, Mail and Safari.

The Cupertino, Calif.-based company also appears to be working on improvements to the operating system's underlying components, including fonts, graphics, modem usage, networking, the Rosetta emulation environment and printing.

Builds of Mac OS X 10.4.8 Update were released for Macs with both Intel (build 8L2108) and PowerPC (build 8L108) processors, sources said.

Mac OS X 10.4.8 is expected to be amongst the final batch of updates to Tiger, as Apple has stated that it will release Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard to consumers during the first half of 2007.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Leopard.. drool
  • Reply 2 of 68
    I would love to know how OpenGL performs in the update!
  • Reply 3 of 68
    Nice to see - it gives us something "new" before Leopard. I would bet that we'll also see 10.4.9 if Leopard isn't ready for MWSF, or if Apple wants a final clean up for TIger.
  • Reply 4 of 68
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    Apple may well have been ready (or may well be ready) to ship 10.5 in January, but with Microsoft's possible hic-up in timing, they could be pushing their date to buy extra time so that Leopard just destroy's Vista in the head to head reviews. This way, what they release as 10.5 will, in effect, be 10.5.1. If Leopard isn't just smooth sailing and fantastic when it ships (around Vista date), then people are going to jump all over how "it's buggy too!", etc. etc. But if it rocks, many people are going to take a "why the f$*k should I bother approach when approaching the idea of buying a new PC versus Apple.

My guess is that many people are waiting on buying a new computer for Vista to be released. Any of those who are near the switching "fence" will be made to leap over based on a head to head comparison.

The thought has also crossed my mind that Microsoft verbally delayed the ship date, but really it will ship before that date so that headlines can read "Vista ships early!" Maybe not though.
  • Reply 5 of 68
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icibaqu

The thought has also crossed my mind that Microsoft verbally delayed the ship date, but really it will ship before that date so that headlines can read "Vista ships early!" Maybe not though.

It would have had to ship in 2003 in order to be "early." I don't think they'd risk the pummeling they'd get for trying to claim that.
  • Reply 6 of 68
    Speaking of Vista, it is looking like they are going to start shipping by the end of the year. They are squashing bugs and optimizing code at a surprising rate if reviews of the latest builds are anything to go by.
  • Reply 7 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daffy_Duck

Speaking of Vista, it is looking like they are going to start shipping by the end of the year. They are squashing bugs and optimizing code at a surprising rate if reviews of the latest builds are anything to go by.

Have any links to reviews on Pre-RC1 (or whichever is the latest)?
  • Reply 8 of 68
    I can understand that Apple plays the game of wait & see with Leopard just to show at the right moment that Macs are using intel chips + bootcamp + the best OS in the world, basically just killing Vista one month after release, well Steve is just to smart for the rest
  • Reply 9 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees!

Have any links to reviews on Pre-RC1 (or whichever is the latest)?

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_5536.asp

That's Paul Thurrott's review of Pre-RC1. Someone said the install ISO size is 600MB smaller, it installs in under 30 minutes, and feels much faster. I don't know if this is all true as I haven't tried it yet but the folks at Redmond must be drinking a lot of coffee lately.

But it still has an ugly and cluttered (and wordy) interface...
  • Reply 10 of 68
    Quote:

I should hope so, since it's s'posed to go to manufacturing in October. If they can make that date, then it'll be available for volume licensing to businesses in November, I think, and then on shelves sometime in January.
  • Reply 11 of 68
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    Quote:

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_5536.asp

That's Paul Thurrott's review of Pre-RC1. Someone said the install ISO size is 600MB smaller, it installs in under 30 minutes, and feels much faster. I don't know if this is all true as I haven't tried it yet but the folks at Redmond must be drinking a lot of coffee lately.

But it still has an ugly and cluttered (and wordy) interface...

wow! its very cluttered and wordy! Some of the organization of menus is even confusing! And the UI...well I won't even start on that..
  • Reply 12 of 68
    dgnr8dgnr8 Posts: 196member
    I just hope Apple just fix's what they screwed up as far as fire wire external hard drives. I know of 4 other people excluding myself that lost use of their FW HD after 10.4.7, which is un-acceptable. I have called Apple and asked when patch for this would be available, and I was told this is a known issue and at this time they have no solution. So if there is no solution in 10.4.8 I will have to replace both of my externals which is not right for any company to force a customer to re-invest due to there problem in there update.
  • Reply 13 of 68
    hypoluxa,

http://www.winsupersite.com/images/s...ta_5536_17.jpg

This is an example of what I mean by wordy. A short story worth of reading every time you want to change a system setting. To me, the text gets in the way. For someone who has never used a computer before, it might be helpful but to have that there every day...it's completely unnecessary. Whatever happened to tooltips? What about the help system? An easy to recognize icon and a short title is all that should be there. It's like Microsoft still isn't 100% confident about the concept of a GUI. They didn't copy enough from Apple IMO.

Also, notice the "Adjust Font size" on the left side. Why is that there? Is that the most important of all the settings?

http://www.winsupersite.com/images/s...ta_5536_18.jpg

What's up with all the white space? Also, why all the text? A picture is worth a thousand words. There should be a miniature window that shows a preview when the mouse hovers over the color swatch.

I could pretty much rant on and on about this stuff but I'll stop here. I know I am preaching to the choir anyway.
  • Reply 14 of 68
    See, I've Told You That There's Going To Be Another "tiger" Update, But You Guys Wouldn't Listen To Me. Okay Now, Let's Hope That This Update Will Fix My And Other People's Problems In (10.4.7).
  • Reply 15 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by STEPHEN RAY SNELL

Okay Now, Let's Hope That This Update Will Fix My And Other People's Problems In (10.4.7).

Problems like capitalizing the first letter of each word?
  • Reply 16 of 68
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    Quote:

hypoluxa,

http://www.winsupersite.com/images/s...ta_5536_17.jpg

This is an example of what I mean by wordy. A short story worth of reading every time you want to change a system setting. To me, the text gets in the way. For someone who has never used a computer before, it might be helpful but to have that there every day...it's completely unnecessary. Whatever happened to tooltips? What about the help system? An easy to recognize icon and a short title is all that should be there. They didn't copy enough from Apple IMO.

Also, notice the "Adjust Font size" on the left side. Why is that there? Is that the most important of all the settings?

http://www.winsupersite.com/images/s...ta_5536_18.jpg

What's up with all the white space? Also, why all the text? A picture is worth a thousand words. There should be a miniature window that shows a preview when the mouse hovers over the color swatch.

I could pretty much rant on and on about this stuff but I'll stop here. I know I am preaching to the choir anyway.

I like in the sys prefs that they have to explain what exatly each of them are & what they do, why not not just have a mouse menu pop up when you mouse over the icon? IMO too much text for the items..
  • Reply 17 of 68
    I've Gotta Tell You Guys, This Will Not Most Likely Be The Last One. There'll Be An Mac Os-x (10.4.9) Update To Boot Too!!!
  • Reply 18 of 68
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by STEPHEN RAY SNELL

I've Gotta Tell You Guys, This Will Not Most Likely Be The Last One. There'll Be An Mac Os-x (10.4.9) Update To Boot Too!!!

And I'm sure they will be a 10.5.1, and 10.5.2 as well.

Why all the buzz over version decimals? I just don't get it.
  • Reply 19 of 68
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    Quote:

Wow, that really is Daffy. I'm not trying to bash Vista, and I do want it to ship as soon as possible (it's good for the economy, and I look forward to using it as opposed to XP for things I need Windows for).

That being said, I've seen the most recent build and it seems *very* far from being complete. It's not just the drivers, bugs and optimizations...those can be turned around swiftly. There are fundamental things that just appear not to be well thought out or developed.

While it's possible Microsoft won't flesh these things out before shipping, I suspect that they'll concede the loss of 4Q2006 and then go when it's "more ready".
  • Reply 20 of 68
    Don't Start That Up Again, Please. I'm Just Pointing Out That Apple's Finally Doing Another Update To Clean-up The Bugs.:d :d :d