Apple reduces cost of ATI card for Mac Pro

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Has it been confirmed if you can throw in a plain jane retail model of a ATI or nVidia graphics card in the new Mac Pro?

Just curious.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    And where did that friendship with ATI get them?
  • Reply 23 of 36
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer

Well, since they are just using PC cards, why not charge somewhere in the neighborhood of the PC price...there is nothing special about the Apple graphics cards in the intel boxes,,,there couldnt really be, the whole firmware argument seems to be shot down by the fact that not only can WinXP on a MP load with the Mac cards, but with PC SLI cards, so the bios only firmware can work with EFI, the problem is the drivers in OSX (surprise surprise.

The last part you said... But think about that in the reverse order. The whole reason we can't use consumer cards is because there isn't any EFI versions... EFI versions can work with BIOS standards but BIOS standards can't work with EFI... funny little world we live in isn' it
  • Reply 24 of 36
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    I'm hoping that Apple released the 7950gtx soon. I don't think it's too much to ask.

I was going to buy a macpro as soon as the graphics cards options changed... but now I think I'm going ot wait till quad core. Quad Core conroes will ship in Nov... so I'd imagine quad core woodcrests around the same time.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Newegg Price:

ATI 100-435801 Radeon X1900XT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

$322.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814195002

Apple Store:

ATI Radeon X1900 XT Graphics Upgrade Kit for Mac Pro

ATI Radeon X1900 XT with 512MB of dedicated GDDR3 memory provides an ideal solution for motion graphics, animation, or 3D design and visualization. It offers two dual-link DVI ports that can simultaneously support two 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Displays for an incredibly large widescreen workspace.

Price: $399.00

http://www.ati.com/products/radeonx1900/specs.html

The Newegg is cheaper for the individual card purchase (who knows if the card will just work without any customizations by ATi for Apple to justify the $399 price from Apple).

However, if you're going to buy a Mac Pro and want to upgrade this card it is only more intelligent to bundle that card from Apple than to go hunt for it from Newegg which doesn't sell it for $250, but for $322.99
  • Reply 26 of 36
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    The Newegg card won't work on the Mac OS X side.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    Any reason why these card wouldn't work on a Dual Core PowerMac G5? I believe my PowerMac (2.3 GHz Dual Core) has the same 16x PCIe slot as the Mac Pros. I know I'll probably lose the 2nd slot, but I could care less about that.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macdaddy0660

Any reason why these card wouldn't work on a Dual Core PowerMac G5? I believe my PowerMac (2.3 GHz Dual Core) has the same 16x PCIe slot as the Mac Pros. I know I'll probably lose the 2nd slot, but I could care less about that.

Yes, your PPC G5 does not have EFI and therefore these cards wont work with them.

Video cards must be initialized before your OS loads.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

As with most things in my country (wher I lives) we get ripped-off. Still a ?300 ad-on here, that is equal to $383. Tax-included here, but still as with everything it ends up being more expensive here than da states. Take the ?799 20" display here, that's equal to $1,020, when ye pay $699+tax. I think we're seeing a pattern here.

What country is that?
  • Reply 30 of 36
    demenasdemenas Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

Standard DDR2 ECC memory is only about 15-20% more expensive than standard DDR2 non-ECC memory. The bulk of the cost for the Mac Pro is not ECC by itself, but the specialized FB-DIMMs and a fairly excessive mark-up for the extra heat sinks.

The market generally considers ECC memory a requirement for workstation computers. It protects your data from random bit flip corruptions.

Has anyone ever experienced a "random bit flip corruption"?

Steve
  • Reply 31 of 36
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Also referred to as your computer crashing.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

Also referred to as your computer crashing.

It's more likely that data gets corrupted though. I think even good memory is rated at about one bit flip per gigabyte per week. That's not much, but you don't know if the bit was storing useful information or not. Consumers don't need it, but data on servers and workstations is often valuable enough to justify the extra expense, though FB-DIMM makes that pretty hard.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647

I'm hoping that Apple released the 7950gtx soon. I don't think it's too much to ask.

I was going to buy a macpro as soon as the graphics cards options changed... but now I think I'm going ot wait till quad core. Quad Core conroes will ship in Nov... so I'd imagine quad core woodcrests around the same time.

*sigh*
  • Reply 34 of 36
    With educational discount, the x1900 is $359 at the apple store. Still too rich for my blood, I thought someone else may be interested though.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

It's all clear to me now. Apple hates the Irish.

Doesn't everyone?

I kid, I kid.

But I'd disown Collin Farrell if I knew what was good for me.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slughead

With educational discount, the x1900 is $359 at the apple store. Still too rich for my blood, I thought someone else may be interested though.

You're talking about the stand alone kit though, not the BTO upgrade. Both prices are now about right.