Burning DVDs

becbec
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
How can you do it?

I tried iDVD but the project was like....26 GB. All I want is to save files and back up my system which I knew how to do in Windows but Mac is totally new.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    As in making just a data DVD? Can't you just insert a blank DVD and drag the files you want to it and then click burn?
  • Reply 2 of 28
    go to System Preferences > CD's & DVD's

select "when you insert a blank DVD..." "ASK WHAT TO DO" (you probably have "open iDVD" selected)

To make a data DVD, you just want to "open in Finder" when you insert the disk. ... then you can drag files to it ... when you try to eject it, the Mac will ask if you want to burn the disk.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    becbec Posts: 68member
    Thanks for the help! For some reason the DVD icon was nowhere to be found...I'm not sure why as I didn't do anything other than reinsert it.

Does it make any sense that when I drag a file to the DVD icon, it only copies a shortcut?
  • Reply 4 of 28
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    On the Mac, we use the Unix term aliases. Windows has shortcuts. The Finder doesn't copy anything to the DVD icon until it burns the disc. Those aliases serve to show you how the DVD will be organized after it is burned. The finished DVD will have the actual files rather than the aliases.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bec

Does it make any sense that when I drag a file to the DVD icon, it only copies a shortcut?

That is the way it works, but now that you say it, it is weird, isn't it? You don't want to burn aliases, you want to burn the actual files.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    You guys realize that when you burn the disk, those aliases turn into files, right?
  • Reply 7 of 28
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me

On the Mac, we use the Unix term aliases. Windows has shortcuts.

Aliases are a Mac term. Unix has symlinks (softlinks) and hardlinks. Windows has shortcuts and junctions.

Aliases, symlinks and shortcuts work similarly.

Hardlinks and junctions work similarly.

All of them have one thing in common: they're incompatible with each other.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

You guys realize that when you burn the disk, those aliases turn into files, right?

Sure, but it's misleading to copy aliases to the DVD. I just never thought about it before bec brought it up.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Aliases are a Mac term. ...

Huh?
  • Reply 10 of 28
    Quote:

Huh?

That's something entirely different. Those aliases are assigned macros in a Unix shell, not pointers to something in the file system.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    When Apple adopted aliases as part of its new System 7, it implemented a subset of the Unix CLI functionality in its GUI. The company used the name which was already familiar to the Unix community.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Quote:

When Apple adopted aliases as part of its new System 7, it implemented a subset of the Unix CLI functionality in its GUI. The company used the name which was already familiar to the Unix community.

Okay, what now?

1) System 7 had no Unix components whatsoever.

2) The aliases in System 7 (and in Mac OS X) are an HFS feature.

3) Since Mac OS had, at the time, no relationship at all to the Unix community, there would have been no point to use a "name which was already familiar".

4) Once again, Unix shell aliases are something completely different.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Quote:

1) System 7 had no Unix components whatsoever.

I said that Apple used the Unix term. I did not say that Apple used Unix components.

Quote:

3) Since Mac OS had, at the time, no relationship at all to the Unix community,

This is not entirely true. System 6 ran on the Apple Unix Environment (AUE). After it was released, Apple ported System 7 to AUE. And let us not forget A/UX, Apple's port of System V.

Quote:

there would have been no point to use a "name which was already familiar".

Seeing as how Apple had quite of bit of interest in UNIX, it was perfectly understandable that it would adopt UNIX terms.

Quote:

4) Once again, Unix shell aliases are something completely different.

Macintosh aliases are GUI aliases.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Quote:

I said that Apple used the Unix term.

The Unix term for something unrelated.

Quote:

This is not entirely true. System 6 ran on the Apple Unix Environment (AUE). After it was released, Apple ported System 7 to AUE. And let us not forget A/UX, Apple's port of System V.

Yes, and Macintosh Application Environment. Now, what does that have to do with the topic again?

Quote:

Seeing as how Apple had quite of bit of interest in UNIX, it was perfectly understandable that it would adopt UNIX terms.

Macintosh aliases are GUI aliases.

When will you accept that an alias in bash and an alias in the Finder are two entirely complete unrelated things? Jeez.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Apple's method of burning media is ridiculously unintuitive. I suggest downloading the free LiquidCD or Burn and burn files the normal way... state what type of media you want to burn (eg: Video or Data DVD), drag files to a pane, and click a burn button. I'm really surprised at the retardedness of Apple's Finder disc burning.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Just pick up a copy of Toast (by Roxio) and you'll be set.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    becbec Posts: 68member
    Thanks for the help! I'll remember the alias term. Though I'll admit I think of the show when I use it.

So, I'm downloading Burn (thanks for the link!) but I could indeed use Apple's iDVD, in that the alias would convert to a file? The only problem I found was I couldn't tell how much space was left without selecting each file to get a grand total through the file info.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    I think iDVD is for like making video DVDs of your own footage, not making data DVDs etc.

Mac the Ripper is great for ripping and reburning DVDs, LiquidCD and Burn are great (presumably; I've never used them) for burning files to DVD. iDVD is more for making your video footage work in other peoples' DVD players.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    You can also make a new burn folder in the Finder then drop stuff into place. Then just select the folder and burn.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

Apple's method of burning media is ridiculously unintuitive. I suggest downloading the free LiquidCD or Burn and burn files the normal way... state what type of media you want to burn (eg: Video or Data DVD), drag files to a pane, and click a burn button. I'm really surprised at the retardedness of Apple's Finder disc burning.

How is it unintuitive? The disk shows up on the desktop, you drag files onto it and hit the burn button.