Sources: Microsoft ramps Zune, sales goal set in millions

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes

Apple sells 4M iPods per month.

75% are Nanos and Shuffles.

Apple sell 1M hard-disk-based iPods per month.

Microsoft is going to EQUAL Apple's sales right out of the gate?

Someone is smoking dope.

<sarcarsm>

Apple, of course, won't introduce any new iPods in Q4 to create excitement.

Apple won't get tons of free publicity related to iPods.

Apple won't introduce a new iPod with "better" features.

Apple won't announce new video deals at the iTMStore.

</sarcasm>

,dave

Where are you getting the ipod sales numbers from?.
  • Reply 42 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

Maybe, maybe not.

It does have a large DVD quality 720 x 480 screen. The same thing that has been demanded here by many people.

If Apple does do this movie download service, what rez will it be released at? If it's lower than DVD quality, very few will be interested at the supposed pricings of $14.99 and $9.99 for older films.

If it IS DVD quality, then the "new" iPod will need to accommodate that. Just how small a screen can be accepted at that rez? Not very. Will people be satisfied with a smaller screen at, say, 480 x 320? That would make a widescreen movie display at 480 by 217 (2.20/10).

The height of that film, for the display size conjectured for the supposed 6G, would be about 1" high. Not very viewable.

Movies will always be a hump to watch on a very small screen.

The Creative is coming in at $400, that's pretty good.

I'm wondering what Apple is thinking, and why it's taking so long.

Worse yet, have any of you actually tried to master a DVD? It's a bloody nightmare and takes forever. I can't imagine the average consumer waiting for a chunk of their lifetime to burn a complete DVD they just purchased from iTunes movie downloads.
  • Reply 43 of 53
    Quote:

We can also look at these. Perhaps the style, and sizes, will appeal more.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3860

These are interesting, and to reinforce your previous point... WTF is taking Apple so long to attack this part of the consumer electronics market?

As everyone will recall, Apple came late to the party on the .MP3 player front, and as a result, found what people were actually doing, versus what the manufacturers thought they were doing and completely dominated the market as we know it today.

Is this why Apple is sitting on the sidelines? To determine how they can clean up where the others are merely dabbling?

...think I'll have another cigarette...
  • Reply 44 of 53
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Worse yet, have any of you actually tried to master a DVD? It's a bloody nightmare and takes forever. I can't imagine the average consumer waiting for a chunk of their lifetime to burn a complete DVD they just purchased from iTunes movie downloads.

Apple's iDVD is incredibly slow, my experience is about an hour just for transcoding. I think my old dual 500 Xeon was about as fast with Pinnacle Studio than iDVD is on a dual 2.5 G5. The results for iDVD were nicer, but not 5x nicer, then there's the issue of that Apple branding they put in the corner of the menu, which I haven't seen with any other DVD software.

I've complained a few times before that iDVD is never faster on a dual processor computer than it is on a single processor.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wnurse

Where are you getting the ipod sales numbers from?.

Wherever they are from, they are wrong, except fot the last holiday season when they sold 14 million. They've been around 8+ million the past two quarters. That would be about 2.7 million a month.
  • Reply 46 of 53
    Quote:

These are interesting, and to reinforce your previous point... WTF is taking Apple so long to attack this part of the consumer electronics market?

As everyone will recall, Apple came late to the party on the .MP3 player front, and as a result, found what people were actually doing, versus what the manufacturers thought they were doing and completely dominated the market as we know it today.

Is this why Apple is sitting on the sidelines? To determine how they can clean up where the others are merely dabbling?

...think I'll have another cigarette...

The other reasons could be that they are having problems with the design, something that we have been getting hints of. The other is that they have been waiting for the movie service to go through so that they will have something to show on it. We've been hearing that as well.
  • Reply 47 of 53
    Quote:

Wherever they are from, they are wrong, except fot the last holiday season when they sold 14 million. They've been around 8+ million the past two quarters. That would be about 2.7 million a month.

That sounds about right. How many Apple shareholders are there.
  • Reply 48 of 53
    Quote:

The other reasons could be that they are having problems with the design, something that we have been getting hints of. The other is that they have been waiting for the movie service to go through so that they will have something to show on it. We've been hearing that as well.

They must have one devil of a groundbreaking new design, since you've pointed out the variety of competing products already out there. Major factors seem to be: adequate battery life and screen quality and size. Not small problems, indeed.
  • Reply 49 of 53
    Quote:

They must have one devil of a groundbreaking new design, since you've pointed out the variety of competing products already out there. Major factors seem to be: adequate battery life and screen quality and size. Not small problems, indeed.

Battery life. I'm happy you mentioned that!

What bugs me is the question of just why every little 2nd rate company such as Newer, can get batteries for the iPod that has a life at least 25% greater than Apple's.

Supposedly, Apple's great sales numbers would enable them to buy the very best longest life/play batteries there are, at the best prices.

But, then these companies come out with better ones. how does that happen?

It's very odd.
  • Reply 50 of 53
    i'm looking forward to this zune device.

apple has fought off the sonys, the creatives, the sandisks, etc. if they can fight off the zune then the ipod is the true rocky balboa of portable mp3 players.

if zune becomes the new ipod then i see no reason why the xbox 360 can't become the next playstation.
  • Reply 51 of 53
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

Battery life. I'm happy you mentioned that!

What bugs me is the question of just why every little 2nd rate company such as Newer, can get batteries for the iPod that has a life at least 25% greater than Apple's.

Supposedly, Apple's great sales numbers would enable them to buy the very best longest life/play batteries there are, at the best prices.

But, then these companies come out with better ones. how does that happen?

It's very odd.

Simple, they trade size and weight for more battery mass.
  • Reply 52 of 53
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro

Melgross was talking about replacement batteries that fit in the already tight iPod, not third party audio players. You can buy battery upgrades for even the latest iPod that has a higher watt-hour rating than the stock battery.
  • Reply 53 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro

Jeffs post eplains what I meant.

But, the Zune seems to have taken the route you are talking about, as has the Creative. Both are substantially thicker than the iPods, presumably for bigger batteries. I can't believe that the components and design are so much more primitive than the iPods that they require so much more room.

The extra features also add space and require more power.

It's a tradeoff.

But, Apple should use better batteries, or allow them to be replaced, though that will also add to the size, and weight. Again. a tradeoff.