Apple Store customer receives upgraded Mac mini

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    mchumanmchuman Posts: 154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker

Moral obligation yes, but so few people in the world today live by such a code of conduct.

Whats immoral here? Its the company's responsibility to deliver the correct product. Thats their cost of doing business in a free soceity. If you keep messing up, you end up out of business. But if you get it right, you get rich and have people bitch at you for being too rich. Such is the world we live in.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees!

Bigger hard drive in the mini.. sounds like a prep for a media center

I was thinking the same thing, if Apple is serious about a media center than adding more HD to the Mini is only logical and add a BTO option for the 160GB version then you can possibly consider the Mini to be Media Center ready...

Btw did I mention I want one
  • Reply 23 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham

so i supose the person who had the blokes lower powered machine will find the lower powered one in the box, speak to apple, and then get the one he ordered, everyones happy

My sister bought a Dell last year, spent all day setting it up (which was a big thing for her), and then a guy rang her asking if she'd just bought a Dell and whether she'd got it. He said he'd received her box instead of his own... sure enough she checked her packaging and it had his name. He called Dell (since his machine was better). Dell called her and told her to pack it up and they'd collect it.

She refused... eventually agreeing to do it as long as they packed it, and wiped the hard disk and re-installed all her programs for her on the new machine... and they decided to let her keep it.

edit: The other guy got sent a brand new computer from Dell.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    One data point doesn't make a pattern. Even speculation on a stealth update is premature, so I'm with the side that says this is probably just a mistake.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    ronnronn Posts: 679member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker

Moral obligation yes, but so few people in the world today live by such a code of conduct.

I totally agree. I'm the Customer Service Mgr. at a large retail location. If we shipped the wrong (better) product to a customer and they notified us, we would more than likely let them keep it, or give them something (gift card, free shipping on their next order, etc.) to show our gratitude. Like another poster said, sometimes it's just not worth the trouble and cost to pick up the wrong item, send the correct item, and reship the better order to the correct customer once we figure out who received the lesser order by mistake.

[ edited: damn, does all that make any sense? :-) ]
  • Reply 26 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

One data point doesn't make a pattern. Even speculation on a stealth update is premature, so I'm with the side that says this is probably just a mistake.

I agree. My prediction, which like always will never come true, is that they will be refreshed on Tuesday along with MacBooks and iMacs. Then on the 12th its all iPods (this is a huge sales item for the Holiday season).
  • Reply 27 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeState

I agree. My prediction, which like always will never come true

If we're moving to predictions... I'll predict a release of iPod Video, Mac Mini "Video", & iTMS movie store all at once, this month (September).

Mine never come true either though.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

It's believed that Apple uses such tactics clear inventory without having to offer price reductions. Instead, it promises customers that they will receive a system with specifications that equal to or greater than those listed on the retail boxes. This allows it to exhaust inventory of previous models in some locations, while supplying other locations, which may be void of stock, with the new models.

I find it hard to believe Apple would be using such a big upgrade (1.6GHz dual core, 100GB HD and DVD-RW) simply to clear out inventory to make room for an even bigger upgrade.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander

If we're moving to predictions... I'll predict a release of iPod Video, Mac Mini "Video", & iTMS movie store all at once, this month (September).

Mine never come true either though.

Don't forget that the new iPods will be centered around games. I have it on good authority.

There will also be lots of games to download.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984

I find it hard to believe Apple would be using such a big upgrade (1.6GHz dual core, 100GB HD and DVD-RW) simply to clear out inventory to make room for an even bigger upgrade.

That's not what was suggested. What was suggested that they might do a stealth upgrade such that they don't have to deal with inventory issues such as having to discount the previous models. There wasn't a third tier upgrade when they did this with the previous mini.

Still, the drive upgrades are too excessive to explain away like that. I also don't think that's a good marketing strategy.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984

The difference between Core Solo and low-end Core Duo was only $50 in the first place. The difference between a ComboDrive and a SuperDrive is at most $20. More likely, the total difference for those two items is somewhere in the $40 range given what Apple likely pays. The HDD, however, is a big deal price wise.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees!

Bigger hard drive in the mini.. sounds like a prep for a media center

Not in a laptop based machine like the Mini. If they would scale it up for use of desktop parts maybe.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme

What he got IS possible under the old models (take the top Mini and choose the next HD size up), so I wonder if the BTO people just put the someone else's machine back into his box?

A simple thing to check is whether the serial number on the packaging matches that on the machine. (Assuming it was addressed to the right person, unlike the Dell story.)
  • Reply 34 of 48
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    In other news, John Doe from Birmingham received a pair of red socks instead of blue ones, which he ordered. This could mean the socks supplier is silently removing red socks from its offerings, in favour of blue socks.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    There's an easy way to find out if this is a new model. If the person who got the lottery machine could supply the marketing number, (The M1234LL/A type) we'd know if it was new or not.

Having worked at an Apple Store in the past, for machines that stayed as the same configuration but were part of a new "spread" of a product, the marketing number would still change. For instance, let's say the current, top Mac Mini has a marketing number of M1885LL/A and Apple announces new Mac Minis built on the Core 2. The current top of the line (Core original) becomes the bottom of the barrel. Even though specification-wise the unit is exactly the same, a new marketing number would be assigned to it.

So, if there is a marketing number on this unit that doesn't line up with a current marketing number, it's a new model. Otherwise, he got someone else's machine.

my 2¢
  • Reply 36 of 48
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Assuming any of this is true. No proof was ever provided.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    So new iPods, new "home theater" Mac minis and a new movie service!

Should be one exciting keynote.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I want to believe this but the hard drive upgrade kills it.

To get a stock 2.5" 100gb drive you need to spend $2400 minimum. To get a that for 599 seems unlikely.

Unless they upgrade the hard disks in the macbook as well.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    fry's (a computer chain here in SoCal) is advertising Mac Mini Super's in their ad today.

1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo

80 Gig HD

Dual Layer Super Drive

for 699 dollars

seems wierd that an outside retailer is selling a mac for 100 dollars cheaper than apples website
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waterboy100

seems wierd that an outside retailer is selling a mac for 100 dollars cheaper than apples website

why is it weird? quite a few resellers do this to save the consumer some money and to get some repeat business. makes sense to me. anyway the resellers dont pay the same as the cumsumer does for the hardware, they get it at 'trade price', they then add some money on, which is called 'profit'. they just choose to add a bit less on.