FB-DIMM advice

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Is there any benefit to buying eight 512MB DIMMs instead of buying four 1GB DIMMs? (or vice versa).

There was a rumour that there may have been a 'latency' benefit?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Eight smaller DIMMs would be cheaper than four bigger ones. I'd say that's quite a benefit.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    At crucial, 4 1GB DIMMS is cheaper than 8 512MB DIMMSs.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Aside from differences in price, are there any performance benefits?
  • Reply 4 of 23
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    No, since the Mac Pros are quad-channel, not octo-channel.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    You'd have higher latency with 8 DIMMs. 4 is the magic number.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Anybody know whether having different-sized sticks has much influence on it?
  • Reply 7 of 23
    You need matched pairs. I would have thought you need 4 matched DIMMs, but apparently two correctly placed pairs works too. I'm going 2x512 + 2x1024
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

Anybody know whether having different-sized sticks has much influence on it?

Yeah, if the sticks don't match exactly, quad-channel cannot work.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    That's what I thought originally, but Apple's documents on adding RAM to Mac Pros say

Quote:

The Mac Pro computer has two memory riser cards with a total of 8 memory slots. On each

card, the slots are arranged as two banks of two slots each...Additional DIMMs can be installed in the open DIMM slots, as illustrated below.

DIMMs must be installed in pairs of equal size from the same vendor. In the illustration below,

DIMMs in one colored pair do not need to match DIMMs in a different colored pair.

I'd think they'd mention if installing the RAM wrong loses you half of the advertised memory bandwidth.

EDIT: I read some in the Apple Mac Pro discussions, and one of the smarter (and higher-posting) users said this:

Quote:

Yes you get a 256-bit memory bandwith with this configuration although only for the first 2GB (1GB from Riser A and 1GB from Riser B) of memory usage/saturation. When you go past 2GB memory usage/saturation the additional memory is only available from Riser A and hence, is only available to you at 128-bit. This ONLY affects memory saturation above 2GB to your maximum 3GB.

While that's not official, it makes sense, and there are a good number of people who believe the same thing, and no Apple guy has corrected him.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    "Losing half your memory bandwidth" loses your maybe 10% speed at most in certain apps though.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    You only lose it when you go above 2 GB. You are using all four channels, but two of the channels just have more RAM on them.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    But when you get back to 8 balanced DIMMs you get your full bandwidth back over all the DIMMs.

To the OP's question - go for the 4 1GB DIMMs. Then if you want more in the future you won't have to waste the 512's you are replacing.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro

But when you get back to 8 balanced DIMMs you get your full bandwidth back over all the DIMMs.

Huh? You only need four DIMMs to max out the memory performance of the system. And ideally you want that anyway because the upper pair of slots on each riser card have higher latency than the lower pair because the slots are chained. If this time around you buy 4x 1GB DIMMs and next time you buy 4x 2GB DIMMs, then you want to put the 2GB DIMMs in the lower slots.

Quote:

To the OP's question - go for the 4 1GB DIMMs. Then if you want more in the future you won't have to waste the 512's you are replacing.

You don't waste them, you resell them.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

You don't waste them, you resell them.

Reselling computer components is virtually invariably a loss of money.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

I've done pretty well, but maybe that depends on the perspective and the component.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Especially with something like this. Most FB-DIMMs are in high-end Intel servers, and most people with high-end Intel servers don't want 512 MB sticks (since they want higher density 1 or 2 GB sticks) or wouldn't want to buy their RAM on eBay.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

Especially with something like this. Most FB-DIMMs are in high-end Intel servers, and most people with high-end Intel servers don't want 512 MB sticks (since they want higher density 1 or 2 GB sticks) or wouldn't want to buy their RAM on eBay.

A likely buyer would be another Mac Pro owner, due to the heat sinks. I think there will be plenty of Mac Pros that will have empty slots that can be filled.

I've sold workstation memory on eBay just fine, pairs of 512MB ECC sticks.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    That's still a slim market. It's not like selling PC RAM, where there are a lot of people looking to buy. And if I'm buying uninsured RAM, I want it cheap.

Not to mention that most Mac Pros will be owned by production houses that'll want only high quality, insured stuff. They'd rather throw away an extra $100 on the upgrade than risk it failing and having no one to turn to.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

That's still a slim market. It's not like selling PC RAM, where there are a lot of people looking to buy. And if I'm buying uninsured RAM, I want it cheap.

Not to mention that most Mac Pros will be owned by production houses that'll want only high quality, insured stuff. They'd rather throw away an extra $100 on the upgrade than risk it failing and having no one to turn to.

My experience suggests otherwise. Last December, I removed excess memory from a workstation and in two separate instances, got $200 per GB of ECC RAMBUS RAM on eBay. It's not a common type of memory, and it only works in servers and workstations. I would even expect that more individuals would be using Mac Pros, heck, if this forum says anything, apparently even a few students are buying them, that's not something I would expect from the Windows workstation market.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

Huh? You only need four DIMMs to max out the memory performance of the system.

4 DIMMs don't give all slots the full 256-bit bandwidth, if you have more RAM in the other unmatched slots those particular paired-DIMMs are serviced at a 128-bit channel width. The memory controller works statically via paired paired slots, not dynamically determining which physical location to place data to overcome physical address range mismatches.