Steve Irwin Has Died

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...-952%2C00.html

What a Goddamned shame.

My deepest sympathies to the Irwin Family in specific and to Australia in general.

V/R,

Aries 1B

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    I know this is a serious topic...

But it was the pure numbers game that caught up to him. You can only stick your head in an alligator, grab a cobra with your bare hands, and swim in a school of jellyfish so many times before something is bound to happen. I know he took precautions and was as qualified as one can be, but no one can be completely sure when dealing with wild animals.

A sting ray? Not a glamourous way to go out...

Watch out Steve-O and Chris Pontius...you're next.
  • Reply 2 of 51
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    i really can't imagine putting myself in such a high-risk position all the time or allowing my spouse to do the same. I can't imagine it all. This is tragic.
  • Reply 3 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ

i really can't imagine putting myself in such a high-risk position all the time or allowing my spouse to do the same. I can't imagine it all. This is tragic.

You forgot the instance when he took his 1 year old son into a crocodile cage and fed the croc with his other hand... \
  • Reply 4 of 51
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Poor Terri.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    It's a shame, but not unexpected. Pestering dangerous animals for the sake of entertaining the audience unfortunately and finally tipped in favor of the dangerous animal. A real lesson for people eager to interact with untamed creatures that just want to be left alone.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

It's a shame, but not unexpected.

I would imagine that this is about as common as a person being killed by a cow. Sure, they could do it at will. But they usually don't.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    Sad.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    Yeah-- they invite cruise ships worth of people to swim with sting rays. Tragic as it is, this just doesn't seem like a fitting way to go. Sounds downright like a fluke?
  • Reply 9 of 51
    Quote:

It's a shame, but not unexpected. Pestering dangerous animals for the sake of entertaining the audience unfortunately and finally tipped in favor of the dangerous animal. A real lesson for people eager to interact with untamed creatures that just want to be left alone.

Yeah, he actually was killed by a stingray. Not exactly a dangerous animal.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    More on the stingray death.

Quote:

Steve Irwin probably died instantly when his chest was pierced by a stingray's barb, the producer of the documentary he was making said.

• Reply 11 of 51
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    We'll miss you, Steve.
  • Reply 12 of 51
    Wow. It's funny, you never really expect icons to die so suddenly. I just kind of expected him to fade out. Maybe he would have rather it been this way in the end, but I still think it was to soon for Steve.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Crikey!
  • Reply 14 of 51
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maimezvous

Wow. It's funny, you never really expect icons to die so suddenly. I just kind of expected him to fade out. Maybe he would have rather it been this way in the end, but I still think it was to soon for Steve.

Yeah, it seemed sort of surreal to me, having him go like this. Maybe it's because I always thought that with all the insane stuff he was getting away with, he had some sort of invicibility towards dangerous animals.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    If you play with fire, you'll eventually get burned.
  • Reply 16 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter

I would imagine that this is about as common as a person being killed by a cow. Sure, they could do it at will. But they usually don't.

You'd be surprised at how many farm workers are killed or injured by farm animals. I remember reading about high rates of injury caused by pigs.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

Yeah, he actually was killed by a stingray. Not exactly a dangerous animal.

If Steve Irwin could talk, I think he'd say otherwise.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    Quote:

You'd be surprised at how many farm workers are killed or injured by farm animals.

I grew up in a small farming town in Mississippi and then lived in Oklahoma for 8 years. I'm pretty familiar with how dangerous farm animals can be. My point was that he was killed by an animal that is usually docile.
  • Reply 19 of 51
    It is a shame.
  • Reply 20 of 51
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Really sad. Rest in peace Steve.