24" iMac Core 2 Duo and New Minis today

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    Great updates and pricing! Two questions - 1) Is the graphics card in the 24" replaceable (i.e., can be updated by the consumer later); and 2) Is the 24" processor Merom or Conroe? My guess is No and Merom, which is fine.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    holy shit

oh wait...

pfffffffff. no Black One... Boooooh
  • Reply 23 of 32
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shakerben

awesome. (i thought so)

one is on it's way to me now

(well...i will be shortly)

so is this itunes movie store gonna be able to stream videos at 1920 by 1200???

(*99% joking*)

It wont be streamed, but it'll almost definitely be in iPod resolution/framerate just like the TV shows.

600MB per hour is about all I think they'd do.

I'll stick to netflix.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    drnatdrnat Posts: 142member
    Wonder if means a 24" ACD? Hope so!!
  • Reply 25 of 32
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    I wonder how this NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT compares to the ATI Radeon X1600.

And the NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT to the GeForce 7300 GT.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    sometimes i dont get apple....they update there CONSUMER imac product with core 2 duo and leave their PRO macbook in the dust. The imac are essentially way faster than the macbook pros at this point...just dosent make any sense. Oh well lets hope they get updated next week...
  • Reply 27 of 32
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gar

I wonder how this NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT compares to the ATI Radeon X1600.

And the NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT to the GeForce 7300 GT.

Apple gives you already a clue.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB

Apple gives you already a clue.

Interesting... this page shows the new 2.33 GHz iMac with 7300GT getting 47fps on the Quake 4 timedemo.

But the Mac Pro graphics page shows the 3.0 GHz Mac Pro with 7300GT getting only 35fps. What gives? iMac is faster than the 3.0GHz Mac Pro with the same graphics card?

EDIT: fixed link
  • Reply 29 of 32
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thagomizer

Interesting... this page shows the new 2.33 GHz iMac with 7300GT getting 47fps on the Quake 4 timedemo.

But the Mac Pro graphics page shows the 3.0 GHz Mac Pro with 7300GT getting only 35fps.

Where do you see 35 fps for the 3.0 GHz Mac Pro?

EDIT: never mind, you just mixed up the links. The difference should be in test resolution.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB

Where do you see 35 fps for the 3.0 GHz Mac Pro?

EDIT: never mind, you just mixed up the links. The difference should be in test resolution.

Yes, sorry, here is the Mac Pro graphics page .

On the bar chart, you need to hover over "Quake 4" to see the results, other wise it shows the Doom 3 results.

Test was run with monitor set to 1280x1024, high quality. The iMac test doesn't say... but the 24" iMac native res is larger than 1280x1024.

Both graphics cards are 7300GT with 256MB.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    Ah... but there's one more thing. What about Blu-Ray and HD-DVD compatibility? Where are the players?
  • Reply 32 of 32
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thagomizer

But the Mac Pro graphics page shows the 3.0 GHz Mac Pro with 7300GT getting only 35fps. What gives? iMac is faster than the 3.0GHz Mac Pro with the same graphics card?

EDIT: fixed link

NUMBER FUDGE, 2006!

They probably used different settings. Apple routinely fiddles with settings for games to make their newer models appear better than their older ones.

I remember when the G4 iMac was upgraded, they had a graph showing something like a 180% speed improvement. Asked where they got that number from, Apple refused to respond and the graph mysteriously disappeared.