Is there a Mac Cube on the way?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Engadget just posted this. It seems Apple has filed a patent for a Cube shaped computer back in May of this year. Could this fit between the Mac mini and Mac Pro?



http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...le&RS=AN/Apple



I'm having a terrible time getting the images to load but from what I could see it looks different from the original Cube.
«134

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 76
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    I still can't get the images to load but it may be a continuation of the original Cube patent.
  • Reply 2 of 76
    haha kinda looks like a drawing of a Game Cube with a handle. I wonder what they would use this for...Now with the new iMacs, I really can't see Apple making another line of computers, the iMac seems to cover what people were complaining about with no middle, to me anyway. Time will tell though I guess.
  • Reply 3 of 76
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,200moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta


    I wonder what they would use this for...Now with the new iMacs, I really can't see Apple making another line of computers, the iMac seems to cover what people were complaining about with no middle, to me anyway.



    ...apart form the built-in display of course.



    I hope this comes to light because it sounds like it's what a lot of people have been asking for.



    Quote:

    A hinged door



    Finally, they are thinking straight. If only they had done this for the Mini update.
  • Reply 4 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984


    I still can't get the images to load but it may be a continuation of the original Cube patent.





    It is.
  • Reply 5 of 76
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigMcLargehuge


    It is.



    If you scroll down a little on the current, September 7, 2006, patent you run across this:



    CROSS-REFERENCE TO RELATED APPLICATIONS



    [0001] This application is a continuation of and claims priority under 35 U.S.C. .sctn.120 to U.S. patent application Ser. No. 10/323,641, filed on Dec. 20, 2002, which is a continuation of U.S. patent application Ser. No. 09/880,676, filed Jun. 13, 2001 which issued Apr. 8, 2003 as U.S. Pat. No. 6,545,874, the entire contents of which are hereby incorporated by reference.



    My skills at searching for patents is minimal. Maybe some one can check to see if the previous pantent referenced does indeed concern the Cube.



    Interesting though that Apple has continued development of a Cube like computer. Maybe there is hope for an xMac with Conroe's brain.
  • Reply 6 of 76
    Even if it is an extension of the cube patent, I don't think that debunks the possibility that Apple's developing a headless mac for between the Mac mini and the Mac Pro. Apple seems to be getting to the point where economies of scale allow it to offer more models: just look at the three screen sizes of the iMac, which require the manufacturing of different-sized cases. If Apple can make a headless mac and an iMac profitably, it will.
  • Reply 7 of 76
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Exactly. They've let other patents expire. Why file an extention for this one and why now? Has anyone been able to view the images? For some reason only about 1/4 of each image loads for me. It sounds like there are some design changes mentioned. Steve Jobs did say it might return one day. It would allow the Mac mini to remain an entry-level model while introducing a small Mac that so many have been asking for.
  • Reply 9 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984


    Exactly. They've let other patents expire. Why file an extention for this one and why now? Has anyone been able to view the images? For some reason only about 1/4 of each image loads for me. It sounds like there are some design changes mentioned. Steve Jobs did say it might return one day. It would allow the Mac mini to remain an entry-level model while introducing a small Mac that so many have been asking for.



    Because it's WAY cheaper to renew/augment the existing patent than it is to sue e-Machines or Gateway or whoever might release a computer using the Cube design in the future. I would bet that Apple has maintained the patents to the original iMac too after suing Gateway in 1999 or something.
  • Reply 10 of 76
    Personally I think now with iMacs featuring removeable graphics cards and FW800 the rumours of a Cube II or 'Mac' lineto sit between Mini and Pro are probably just that; rumours.



    I do think Apple will have to enlarge the Mini to fit in a 3.5" drive to make it the $100-$150 cheaper it needs to be though.
  • Reply 11 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes


    Personally I think now with iMacs featuring removeable graphics cards and FW800 the rumours of a Cube II or 'Mac' lineto sit between Mini and Pro are probably just that; rumours.



    I do think Apple will have to enlarge the Mini to fit in a 3.5" drive to make it the $100-$150 cheaper it needs to be though.



    I would normally agree, but then they did release a cube before and it was kind of a fifth wheel then. Granted it didn't do so well because of it's high price, but Apple is in a new ballgame now. They are running new chips and have a greater "hipper" brand. It couldn't hurt for them to expand out a little more with another desktop offering.

    I'm not really a cube kind of guy myself. I'd prefer to see a minitower, but I'm starting to believe that will never happen. So a cube with a couple of PCIe slots and a desktop harddrive I guess is the best I can hope for now. And hopefuly for well under $1500. And I guess it would be kind of sexy. I can imagine all white cube with a clear gloss coating like a white iPod or iMac.
  • Reply 12 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes


    Personally I think now with iMacs featuring removeable graphics cards



    Wait a second I missed that part... are they really removable? In all of the models or just the 24"?
  • Reply 13 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePi


    Wait a second I missed that part... are they really removable? In all of the models or just the 24"?



    Not seen this hard and fast yet but the 24" has a MXM PCIe slot for the graphics card which kind of makes sense when you consider it's the first iMac with a choice of graphics card.



    I think I'm the sort of user who would like a Mid-range Mac but then I never bought a Cube.



    I guess Apple don't want to go there again if those who like me class themselves as some who wants a tower - but ends up buying an iMac and a TiBook instead. (Probably because of the cube's cost.)
  • Reply 14 of 76
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes


    I do think Apple will have to enlarge the Mini to fit in a 3.5" drive to make it the $100-$150 cheaper it needs to be though.



    There are a lot of people who want Apple to pack in more power so they can better use the Mac mini as a HTPC or for an Aperture editing station or whatever. There are also people who want a midrange Mac between the Mac mini and Mac Pro, something without a built-in display.
  • Reply 15 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984


    There are a lot of people who want Apple to pack in more power so they can better use the Mac mini as a HTPC or for an Aperture editing station or whatever. There are also people who want a midrange Mac between the Mac mini and Mac Pro, something without a built-in display.



    A mini tower or largeish cube would probably appeal to switchers who are used to the form factor. As I say I class my self in the 'people who want a midrange Mac' but then I never bought when I had the chance (G4 Cube).



    As discussed in other threads; Apple leads the way. Apple believes that users fall in to either the consumer who never updates their Mac or the professional who buys a Mac Pro for the 5 million options or whatever.



    I've upgraded all but two of my Macs (The Classic II avoided the screwdriver and the TiBook is only just avoiding a long over due optical and hard drive increase) and I have to say the options are getting better and better. Even those of us who tinker with our Macs have to be happy with the new iMac 24". You can upgrade:



    • RAM

    • Hard disk

    • Processor

    • Graphics Card



    And that's not to mention external upgrades.



    I would love a mid range Mac (BTW it couldn't be iPod/iMac white or it wouldn't match the 3 Displays) but I can't see Apple making one in the next 12 months.
  • Reply 16 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes


    I would love a mid range Mac (BTW it couldn't be iPod/iMac white or it wouldn't match the 3 Displays) but I can't see Apple making one in the next 12 months.



    If that were the case, they'd also make a silver keyboard and mouse.



    The sides of the cinema displays are iMac white like the top of the Mac Mini.
  • Reply 17 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign


    If that were the case, they'd also make a silver keyboard and mouse.



    The sides of the cinema displays are iMac white like the top of the Mac Mini.



    Fair point. I still think a mid-tower would be more Mini styled - white plastic with aluminium surround.



    In fact the keyboard department at Apple haven't turned out a new product for ages. What's with the USB1.1 port in 2006? Why no discrete card reader or perhaps a click wheel (sorry should save this for another thread).
  • Reply 18 of 76
    i'm buying one on the 12th....



















































    if they are released on the 12..lol
  • Reply 19 of 76
    Mac Cube? I think they should keep with the naming stile of the Mac mini...



    How about calling the Big Mac? hehehe
  • Reply 20 of 76
Sign In or Register to comment.