Apple rallies on analyst's upbeat comments

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Shares of Apple Computer rose to a 4-month high on Thursday after one Wall Street analyst raised his estimates for the Mac maker, saying the company is likely to announce a major move into the digital home next week.

In a research note released earlier in the day, UBS Investment Research analyst Ben Reitzes increases to his Apple estimates through the 2007 fiscal calendar year due to "a stronger than expected showing" of the company's new Mac line.

He said recent checks indicate that sales of MacBooks, iMacs, Mac Pros and MacBook Pros are "strong with momentum continuing into September." He also said the new iMac Core 2 Duo models "should support estimates into calendar year-end."

Reitzes, who also raised his price target on shares of Apple to $92, expects the Cupertino, Calif.-based company to earn $2.70 a share in fiscal 2007, based on 25 percent yearly revenue growth to $23.9 billion. In fiscal 2008, he is modeling earnings of $3.10 per share, based on 15 percent revenue growth to $27.43 billion.

The analyst is predicting that next Tuesday Apple will unveil a major move into the digital home that will carry the potential to multiply its revenue streams. "With a potential foray into digital entertainment, we believe that Apple can expand revenues into incremental video/film downloads, digital storage and portable media devices," he wrote. "Also, we believe the evolving ecosystem can lead to higher sales of Macs given OS X?s unique ability to bridge the digital divide in the home in conjunction with iTunes."

In addition to potential new iPod nanos and movie services expected at next week's special Apple "Showtime" event, Reitzes said he remains excited about other potential products through 2007 such as portable media players a cell phone.

Shares of Apple rose $2.77 or nearly 4 percent to close at 72.80 on the NASDAQ stock market.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Downloading films at 480p ...

It appears now that to match Amazon "Unbox" (1.2 GB per hour of download),

Apple should be doing 852x480p using H.264. Seeing that most encodings at

the QuickTime HD Gallery for 480p use 2.7-2.8 Mbps, this is also 1.2-1.3GB per hour.

Both services will have to educate folks that this is not an "instant on" endeavor

using the typical 1.5 Mbps DSL/cable rates.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Holi wizzoli!

And to think I almost bought shares a month ago...
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey

Holi wizzoli!

And to think I almost bought shares a month ago...

You really missed out
  • Reply 4 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I just checked. Apple's market cap is $62 billion. Dell's is $49 billion. But Dell has market share and Apple doesn't so that means Dell is successful and Apple is a failure. At least according to the Windows PC crowd that is.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya

You really missed out

Ya think?

The only money I had was not really my money. I thought "well, if I buy it at 55$, surely it will go up before I need it..."

Just because it was obvious...well, thats a good way to lose the house!
  • Reply 6 of 19
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    FINALLY! AAPL is higher than when I bought it. Maybe I'll just ride the wave or sell next week before (if) it goes back down. Too bad I'm a noob when it comes to stocks but I'm happy to say I own some of AAPL.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    sell...sell...sell...
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hardeeharhar

sell...sell...sell...

Not til next week, at least. I think it should go up until Tuesday and then depending on what's released will continue upward for a week or so. THEN take some profits.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees!

FINALLY! AAPL is higher than when I bought it. Maybe I'll just ride the wave or sell next week before (if) it goes back down. Too bad I'm a noob when it comes to stocks but I'm happy to say I own some of AAPL.

If you're buying and selling short term, you shouldn't own AAPL, in my opinion. Buy it and forget it (at least until it looks like Jobs' retirement is imminent)...
  • Reply 10 of 19
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya

You really missed out

No he didn't, when the iPhone goes to no.1 then sell
  • Reply 11 of 19
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I think the stock is going to go up a good amount over the medium term. But before we get there, there will be bumps and dips. But they will be moving upwards. If you can predict them, then you could make a lot of money, if not, they you will lose out, if you sell, because when it goes up again, you won't want to buy it anyway.

You just have to make your mind up, and then do it.

There isn't a danger that at $73, you will lose money in the medium term. Just don't get skittish, and hold it.

I lost a fair amount when it went from 86 to 50, but it's most of the way back now. In time, it will pass 86. It's true that I had bought it at a much lower price, but if I had sold it then, I could have bought 25% more shares later.

But, that's the way the stock bounces.

As long as you own a strong company, you are fine. The price will always rebound.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

I lost a fair amount when it went from 86 to 50, but it's most of the way back now. In time, it will pass 86.

Call me Ishmael, but I had a feeling on that day that 50 would be the bottom, and I bought then.

Quote:

As long as you own a strong company, you are fine. The price will always rebound.

Tell me about it. I have nothing but grief from buying WebMD (now HLTH aka Healtheon), Amazon, and E-Digital which was my second worst stock buy ever.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Call me Ishmael, but I had a feeling on that day that 50 would be the bottom, and I bought then.

Tell me about it. I have nothing but grief from buying WebMD (now HLTH aka Healtheon), Amazon, and E-Digital which was my second worst stock buy ever.

I was going to buy more as well, but I decided to stick with my current portfolio, which has gone up over the past year, as Apple went down.

It's a bit of this, and a bit of that, I'm afraid. It averaged out.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

If you're buying and selling short term, you shouldn't own AAPL, in my opinion. Buy it and forget it (at least until it looks like Jobs' retirement is imminent)...

Agreed. Apple is without a doubt a long-term hold. Here's a look back for some perspective:

Sept 7, 2002 AAPL $7.00

Sept 7, 2003 AAPL $11.00

Sept 7, 2004 AAPL $18.00

Sept 7, 2005 AAPL $51.00

Sept 7, 2006 AAPL $72.00

(All prices split adjusted and rounded to the nearest dollar.)
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun

Agreed. Apple is without a doubt a long-term hold. Here's a look back for some perspective:

Sept 7, 2002 AAPL $7.00

Sept 7, 2003 AAPL $11.00

Sept 7, 2004 AAPL $18.00

Sept 7, 2005 AAPL $51.00

Sept 7, 2006 AAPL $72.00

(All prices split adjusted and rounded to the nearest dollar.)

I think my uncle bought heaps of stock in '01/'02 sometime. A pretty nice return so far.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    For goodness sake, don't sell before mid October.

Macbooks are selling like hot cakes.

All the other computers are doing exceptionally well except the mini which is just doing 'very' well ...

... and when the September quarter results come out (in mid October), AAPL are going to shoot up.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    It should be held for longer than that. There are a lot of things unfolding here. It has to be waited out.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

You just have to make your mind up, and then do it.

Oh, and have $$ in the first place...
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey

Oh, and have $$ in the first place...

Of course!