MacBook and MacBook Pro to get Core 2 Duo Simultaneously?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applebook

Some of you need to realize that most consumer, $1000, laptops don't have the Core 2, so why should Apple feel pressured to include that chip in their $1000 MB, especially when the model is selling so well? The only logical reason why Apple would put the Core 2 in the MB before Christmas is if the supply of the chips and their prices are equivalent to Yonah.

I envision a speed bump to 2GHz, 2.16GHz and hopefully a GPU upgrade (7300 GT perhaps?), more HDD space, SD standard, etc., while the MBP gets the Core 2 with possibly a 7600 GT.

But do $1400 laptops have C2D? I mean, Macbook covers more than just the $1000 pricepoint. And it'll stay integrated to avoid stealing MBP sales.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applebook

Some of you need to realize that most consumer, $1000, laptops don't have the Core 2, so why should Apple feel pressured to include that chip in their $1000 MB, especially when the model is selling so well? The only logical reason why Apple would put the Core 2 in the MB before Christmas is if the supply of the chips and their prices are equivalent to Yonah.

I envision a speed bump to 2GHz, 2.16GHz and hopefully a GPU upgrade (7300 GT perhaps?), more HDD space, SD standard, etc., while the MBP gets the Core 2 with possibly a 7600 GT.

What are you talking about? Dell Inspiron E1505 has a C2D chip for < $900. Sure, current Best Buy stock doesn't have C2D chips, but you can order a sub $1K laptop with a C2D chip from HP, Dell and others today.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    i think apple is selling so many mbs as-is, that they could probably go a month or two without updating them. They're already selling as many as they can build. maybe wait until they catch up with demand and then release the updates.. maybe end of october.

but i really want them to do it now, i'm just not too confident about it. i think they'll do it later.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbrowdy

I am starting to wonder if even the MBP will ever see a Merom processor.

Don't worry. The MacBook Pro will get Merom, just as soon as Apple has enough of them.

The MacBook on the other hand, may have to wait longer.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbrowdy

But, I am starting to worry that they'll lay up and wait for the Santa Rosa processors next year.

Santa Rosa is a chip-set, not a processor. It is Merom's "proper" companion, offering higher FSB speed and more power-saving features. I don't know if Intel have announced a codename for Merom's replacement.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    Merom's replacement is Penryn, coming late 2007, which is a 45nm part.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

Merom's replacement is Penryn, coming late 2007, which is a 45nm part.

Thanks for sharing the name! I used a bit of Google magic and dug some cool info on the chips!!

Quote:

Fab D1D in Hillsboro, Oregon, will be 45-nanometerized first in order to be ready for mass manufacturing of final 45 nm products in the second half of 2007. This generation is still going to be based on the processor design that Merom is going to introduce in mid 2006, but due to several modifications in addition to the die shrink it will be called Penryn. According to our information, there won't be many chances in comparison to Merom. The cache size, however, will be increased by 50%, resulting in cache sizes of 3 MB and 6 MB L2 cache for the dual core processor versions.

This is the first time Intel is eventually not deploying doubled L2 caches. Looking back at the last processor generations we had 2 MB, 1 MB, 512 kB and 256 kB, making 4 MB and 8 MB the next logical steps. However, we suppose that Intel decided to slow down the cache size increase in favor of quicker adoption of quad core chips. In addition, Intel could be cooking some new processor features we aren't aware of today and which potentially eat up some of the transistor real estate that the 45 nm shrink enables.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/...red/page6.html

The future looks so bright... not to mention if its true that they will draw a LOT less power then Merom then Apple can make even thinner notebooks (j/k)

Atleast in 2008 the world will have laptops again