Apple could sell 12 million iPhones next year - analyst

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    Apple makes the phone.

And then what, Gene? Then what. Analyze that.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Text messaging is more popular in Europe where they have more expensive phone service. Beyond kids, not many people use "texting" in the US.

I'm 29. Most of my friends are in their late 20s or early 30s. We all text message.

More people will text message once it becomes easier to do so - qwerty keypads.

To see how popular TXT messaging can get here, consider the range of people who IM at work. At the companies that I've worked at, it's been used actively by people in their 20-50s.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jacob1varghese

Apple would be better off just selling a $300 GSM phone direct to consumer. People can then pop in a GSM chip to use with their existing GSM carrier or new carrier. Keep the same number, contacts... very easy.

It's going to be doubly hard to compete against the carrier-subsidized phones if they do that.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon

will they have there own network or will you be able to use on your network?

if they have there own network they may see a lower sales then if you can use it more networks.

If they have their own nwtwork, and they get 3 million customers after, say conservatively, two years, at an average of $50 a month, it really adds up.

That would be more than from just selling phones. And if it became more popular still, the revenues would continue to go up. Do the numbers.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    I think a new term needs to be created that defines a product that does not yet exist and that has been entirely created by the media, but that has already sold millions units, all in the minds of business analysts and industry pundits.

I propose 'steamvaporware'.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408

I think a new term needs to be created that defines a product that does not yet exist and that has been entirely created by the media, but that has already sold millions units, all in the minds of business analysts and industry pundits.

Welcome, that's a good beginning.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    Quote:

I'm 29. Most of my friends are in their late 20s or early 30s. We all text message.

To see how popular TXT messaging can get here, consider the range of people who IM at work. At the companies that I've worked at, it's been used actively by people in their 20-50s.

Yep. I pointed this out in another thread yet despite hard facts certain argumentative sods on here still think texting is a fad and a dying one at that.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

It's going to be doubly hard to compete against the carrier-subsidized phones if they do that.

Yup. It's $300 more than I pay for my current smart phone.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    Quote:

Malus don't count. They are not your average consumer. : )
  • Reply 30 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign

Yep. I pointed this out in another thread yet despite hard facts certain argumentative sods on here still think texting is a fad and a dying one at that.

Heh heh. What exactly is a sod anyway? Be gentle.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    lol what iphone? I love how they can make predictions like this for something that doesnt even exsist yet haha
  • Reply 32 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cato988

lol what iphone? I love how they can make predictions like this for something that doesnt even exsist yet haha

Uh, well. You can't make predictions about something that might come out, if it has already come out.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol

I'm a minority but...I hate cell phones (how do you guys do it? I could never allow myself to make myself available to talk to anyone at anytime) and I don't particularly care for listening to music outside my house.

Currently, I hardly ever carry my cell phone with me. I usually just leave it in my car, and I turn it on only to make outgoing calls. No one is expecting to reach me on my cell unless I'm travelling.

But give me a cell phone that's easy to carry and does enough cool things to justify the burden of carrying it around, and I will carry it around with me. That doesn't mean I'll be handing out my mobile number to everyone -- I'll still encourage most people to call me on my land line most of the time.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

12 million isn't conservative.

Is too!
  • Reply 35 of 39
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408

I love it! Now copyright it. NOW.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

Heh heh. What exactly is a sod anyway? Be gentle.

?noun Chiefly British Slang.

1.\tsodomite; homosexual.

2.\tchap; fellow; guy.

3.\tchild; kid; brat. Compare bugger.

?verb (used with object), sod?ded, sod?ding. Chiefly British Slang.

4.\tto damn: Sod the bloody bastard!

?Verb phrase

5.\tsod off, to leave (usually as an imperative): Why don't you just sod off.

Take your pick but generally not the first one in polite conversation.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    Quote:

?noun Chiefly British Slang.

1.\tsodomite; homosexual.

2.\tchap; fellow; guy.

3.\tchild; kid; brat. Compare bugger.

?verb (used with object), sod?ded, sod?ding. Chiefly British Slang.

4.\tto damn: Sod the bloody bastard!

?Verb phrase

5.\tsod off, to leave (usually as an imperative): Why don't you just sod off.

Take your pick but generally not the first one in polite conversation.

Well, well, you don't mince words, do you?
  • Reply 38 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

Well, well, you don't mince words, do you?

dictionary.com definition.

I think Americans take offence a lot easier than Brits. Sod or Bugger off is quite a friendly term. On the other hand we'd take great offence at shit or crap used in normal conversation.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    Quote:

dictionary.com definition.

I think Americans take offence a lot easier than Brits. Sod or Bugger off is quite a friendly term. On the other hand we'd take great offence at shit or crap used in normal conversation.

I've only heard the "sod off". Not the more direct use you seemed to prefer there.

But, "bloody" doesn't seem to be a big thing, but supposedly it means more there. Refering to Henery the 8th or some such thing, that I used to know but forgot.