Notes from Apple's Showtime event

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spindler

I'm glad about the incremental improvements, but there is a good possibility that the iPod will lose its' cool. Everyone has one, and the big ones are all white. I think at this stage in the game, Apple should be diversifying to keep the mystery going. One white iPod was fine for a while, but I instead I would like to see them add five different totally unique larger size iPods. How about one for women with a soft, smooth pink or green finish? How about a flashy gold or copper shiny one? How about an executive iPod that has the feel of a BMW? I think the white one should be thought of as iPod classic, but other models added to the lineup. People like to feel like they are adding something new that fits their personality and choices would give them that. But at all white for everyone, the iPod will lose its mystery.

I don't know about Apple necessarily "needing" to add a larger iPod, but they need to make a new higher-end product now. If they add streaming video or music sharing via wi-fi or even something as dumb as a 2-earphone version (?).... something to enhance the romantic unattainability of iPod. The high end is getting too low (in other words, too attainable) that the shine will be off (and to agree with your choice of words, the mystery will be completely lost).
  • Reply 42 of 47
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    The fact that iTV only has HDMI and component video output is a subtle nod to HD. To me it is obvious they are not courting the SD crowd and cheers to that!
  • Reply 43 of 47
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xool

The fact that iTV only has HDMI and component video output is a subtle nod to HD. To me it is obvious they are not courting the SD crowd and cheers to that!

I think they are preparing for it. But SD works fine over both connections.
  • Reply 44 of 47
    OMG! Apple is TEH DOOMED!!!

• Reply 45 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

The high end is getting too low (in other words, too attainable) that the shine will be off (and to agree with your choice of words, the mystery will be completely lost).

I agree with this too. There has to be some cool novelty. I'd like to see a high end iPod that has an FM radio receiver, iTrip-like capability to play by broadcasting to a radio in the room, and built in voice recorder. I know it's dangerous to add too much stuff, but the features could come off by default. Even if people didn't use them, it would still be nice to have a "special, different" iPod.
  • Reply 46 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WhetWurm

And since I have a 5G already, I hope that software (the search and gapless) transfers to the 5G iPods. I'll probably get one or two games so I don't kill my cellphone battery instead.

JFYI, I've just confirmed on my old 5G iPod that the new firmware for gapless playback does spill over to the older units!
  • Reply 47 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spindler

I agree with this too. There has to be some cool novelty. I'd like to see a high end iPod that has an FM radio receiver, iTrip-like capability to play by broadcasting to a radio in the room, and built in voice recorder. I know it's dangerous to add too much stuff, but the features could come off by default. Even if people didn't use them, it would still be nice to have a "special, different" iPod.

In the car business, this is known as an "aspirational" product. In other words, the lower selling, higher priced car that everyone drools over.