Stores up; still no MBP updates.

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tony1

I feel it in my bones that it'll be worth the wait when it does arrive.

From your lips to God's ears...

1. Merom

2. 1Gb RAM Single Stick

3. HD Panel

That's all I want.
  • Reply 22 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abhay

I agree completely, when other players are ready to ship the new laptops, apple should ship it too since there are so many people already waiting..Apple is anyway not planning to change the mbp enclosure or anything so why is there such a long delay in shipping same mbp just with the new chip.

First of all, do you work at Apple to know that the MacBook Pro has not gotten a redesigned enclosure? Second all the other manufactures still haven't shipped so Apple could release them tomorrow and still be ahead of everyone else.

I know that you guys are getting impatient, I know I'm a MacBook owner and I waited about 6 months for this computer, but being disappointed because Apple didn't release the MacBook Pro the day that you guys wanted, is starting to get lame.

Btw the low end MacBook Pro will definitely be getting 1GB of Ram and it should also have an option for the new 160GB HD, I don't know if it will have FW 800 but there is a possibility and last but not least it probably will regain its dual layer DVD burner.

Oh and one more thing I also think there might be a price drop.
  • Reply 23 of 80
    Well here somthing that's a real bite in the a$$. Last week I priced DDR RAM for the MBP over at Tansintl. For a 2gb stick they wanted $195. I just looked and now they want $249! I printed out the page last week. Does anyone here have any clue or experience with these guys to know if they'll honor the previous price? I would have saved over $100 compared to Apples price of $300! Or is there someone less?

When it comes to hdd's for this machine, the only 160gb's I've seen run at just 5400rpm. Has anyone seen an appropriate drive, larger than 100gb running at 7200?

Just thought I'd save a few smart bucks to put elsewhere.
  • Reply 24 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tartansparkle

A lot of people are desperate to spend money on an Apple MacBook Pro with the chip that every tom, dick and harry is now starting to ship in their laptops. As for silent update, that's just insane!!! How are they EVER gonna do good business doing things like that quietly?

Not to mention those of us desperate to spend money on a mid range EXPANDABLE (extra HDs, PCIe) Conroe tower. You know, just like every other computer manufacturer on the planet is offering? Please don't make me upgrade my PC, I can't wait much longer!

As for silent updates, I think that'll become more common. Apple got good press from the updated iMacs without having to hold a media event. I would expect only major redesigns or new products at media events from now on.
  • Reply 25 of 80
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978

Me either, but the big things that I am waiting for is FW800 on the 15" and the new 160gb hard drive. I don't really care about the little processor difference between a 2 ghz core duo and a 2.33 ghz core 2 duo.

Going from 32bit to 64bit doesn't concern you with leopard release around the corner?
  • Reply 26 of 80
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho

Why? For most people the 64 bitness of Merom is of no use at all. The only tangible benefit for the most part is a bit more speed over Yonah. Very little if any software demands a 64 bit processor and they are certainly nothing new to be honest.

At this time .... true... but most apps will be compiled for 64bit when leopard is released. 64bit registers ftw.
  • Reply 27 of 80
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abhay

..Apple is anyway not planning to change the mbp enclosure or anything so why is there such a long delay in shipping same mbp just with the new chip.

Hmm, let me see. In the past, and it looks like this has not changed, Apple had a pattern while updating the hardware. First, there were (almost) never updates for several lines at once. The reason (I think) is that Apple wants people's attention to one line each time, so that its new features, together with potential sales, do not get lost in the dust. Second, after each update, Apple usually gives time to the new product to be in the front home page so that people has a chance to see it, and of course buy it. Depending on schedule, this time is generally not less than one week.

So, in a nutshell, if the trend continues (and why it would change now) don't expect anything before next Tuesday.
  • Reply 28 of 80
    why iMac getting perference over MacBook Pro When dealing with Core 2 Duo ... is it not Laptops should get the laptop CPUs first???

it is amusing ...
  • Reply 29 of 80
    I wouldn't mind the iMac taking priority normally, it's the flagship and if they decided to put Meroms in it, fair enough. However, there are thousands of kids waiting to buy laptops for going (back) to university, and they're not gonna buy old chips. That's why I think not updating the MBP first was a bad move.
  • Reply 30 of 80
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam

why iMac getting perference over MacBook Pro When dealing with Core 2 Duo ...

Perhaps it sells best? Just guessing.
  • Reply 31 of 80
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB

Perhaps it sells best? Just guessing.

Not just that it sells best, I also feel (or atleast like to believe) that it's a tesing ground, not in a Beta sence, but more of how it simply performs under the harshest conditions the family amateur market. This of course is only speculation, yet always seem to be the norm.
  • Reply 32 of 80
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647

Going from 32bit to 64bit doesn't concern you with leopard release around the corner?

No, why should it? Is there something that won't work on the 32 bit processors? I don't know what they mean by "64 bit", but I don't think that I care regardless of the meaning:

- 64 bit address bus, only needed if you want more than 4 GB addressible memory (could even be more, is the intel processor byte or word addressable?). I am fine with 4 GB memory.

- 64 bit data bus, speeds up fetch of floating point and really big integers, sometimes at the cost of less efficient memory usage patterns. Don't care.

- 64 bit registers - speeds up operations on floating point and really big integers - don't care.
  • Reply 33 of 80
    any chance in coming Tuesday ...

atleast a price drop or 1GB std RAM will be good thing ...
  • Reply 34 of 80
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    No

1GB standard is a given.

2.33Ghz Merom in the highend

Fw 800

3x USB

8x DL superdrive

Magnetic latch

MacBook Keyboard?

and an optional anodized Black One Aluminium case will be a good thing.
  • Reply 35 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WhetWurm

You wouldn't have gotten a free nano anyway... the Mac Pro and new iMac aren't eligible for the free ipod program.

Yes they are. I got my Mac Pro with a free Nano...
  • Reply 36 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gar

No

1GB standard is a given.

Fw 800

3x USB

8x DL superdrive

Magnetic latch

MacBook Keyboard?

That will be worth the wait.
  • Reply 37 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gar

No

1GB standard is a given.

Fw 800

3x USB

8x DL superdrive

Magnetic latch

MacBook Keyboard?

i am talking abt the base model 2.0Ghz, 512 MB

i need one, waiting until wed ...

do not know whether can hold off purchase for another 5 days ... mmm very tempting

it will be my second mac after 12" PB
  • Reply 38 of 80
    I got a MBP and I must say it's slow. It emulates almost every program so that's why.

Will the merom do better at this?

I'm really getting tired of my MBP actually , has the whine + a dead battery now so no more whine but then again i lose information when i accidentally disconnect my power cable.(which is easy because of the magnetic thing)

The screen is too bright to get deep colours like my old Ti-book or my cinema display.

Quirks quirks....
  • Reply 39 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood

Yes they are. I got my Mac Pro with a free Nano...

I stand corrected. They updated their site to reflect the offer with the MB, the MBP, and the Mac Pro... it's the iMac that's missing from the line up.
  • Reply 40 of 80
    Do you think Apple could release MBP revision on photokina 2006??? like the release of the MBP 17" in the NAB???