High-quality photos of Apple's second-gen iPod nano

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OfficerDigby

I tell you something Apple knows exactly what it's doing with these nano's. I've never seen packing like this on anything I've bought before (black and male btw - the nano not me!) - but then I'm tight!. It's displayed in the case like a wedding gift (ring) or fancy watch - perfect for christmas again!.

some palms are packaged like that. and ipod socks. and video game controllers. etc etc.
  • Reply 62 of 77
    hurray, iPod mini is back! i like the new nano look more than the old one, what i dislike are iTunes 7..... btw, where is CD with iTunes
  • Reply 63 of 77
    ok i posted this message by mistake, is there any way to delete it, not only change it?
  • Reply 64 of 77
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by running

hurray, iPod mini is back! i like the new nano look more than the old one, what i dislike are iTunes 7..... btw, where is CD with iTunes

???

To burn a CD, make a playlist or smart playlist, select the playlist and click "burn CD" in the lower right corner. Or right click a playlist and select "burn playlist to CD".

To import a CD, it will show up under the devices listing when the CD is in the drive. I haven't imported a CD yet in iTunes 7, but I think its button might show up in the lower right corner too, when you've selected the CD.
  • Reply 65 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

some palms are packaged like that. and ipod socks. and video game controllers. etc etc.

The iPod sock container is thin folded plastic, not thick molded plastic like the nano's box. So are a lot of game controller boxes. I don't know about Palms, mine was in a cardboard box more like the old packaging.
  • Reply 66 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

???

To burn a CD, make a playlist or smart playlist, select the playlist and click "burn CD" in the lower right corner. Or right click a playlist and select "burn playlist to CD".

To import a CD, it will show up under the devices listing when the CD is in the drive. I haven't imported a CD yet in iTunes 7, but I think its button might show up in the lower right corner too, when you've selected the CD.

I think the question is whether iTunes 7 comes on a CD. Answer: nope, you have to download it. I imagine that you could find a way of getting Apple to mail one out, but it doesn't come with the iPods anymore.
  • Reply 67 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psychboy

I think the question is whether iTunes 7 comes on a CD. Answer: nope, you have to download it. I imagine that you could find a way of getting Apple to mail one out, but it doesn't come with the iPods anymore.

yes, english is not my mothertongue so, if I dont have an internet connection, i cant even put songs on iPod? wow, thats kind of stupid....
  • Reply 68 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by running

yes, english is not my mothertongue so, if I dont have an internet connection, i cant even put songs on iPod? wow, thats kind of stupid....

Well, it does look like you need iTunes 7 in order to sync with the new iPods. So here are a few options:

1) if you have a laptop, take it to some place that has a connection that you can use (public hotspot, friend's house, etc.) and download it there

2) if you can't do that, get a blank CD and put a copy of iTunes on it that you or someone else downloaded from another internet-connected computer.

3) or call Apple and beg them to mail a copy to you
  • Reply 69 of 77
    Let me just start out by saying that I was SOOOO excited for the new nano that I went and purchased one the day after they were announced from the apple store. I got the VERY sexy black 8 Gb version. After two days of normal use, and I mean nothing that should have been damaging, it was in my pocket alone and if it wasnt there it was on my desk the damn thing got all scratched. They did a good job of rounding out the nano but the top has a sharp edge. This edge is going to be a problem for many people. Not only did it scratch after two days of use but since it is aluminum when it scratches it exposes the aluminum color which does not contrast very well with the black paint. I was so pissed that I returned it for a refund. I just dont get y they cant get this correct, you should not spend 300 dollars on a piece of equiptment that cant withstand two days of normal use.
  • Reply 70 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red Delicious

Let me just start out by saying that I was SOOOO excited for the new nano that I went and purchased one the day after they were announced from the apple store. I got the VERY sexy black 8 Gb version. After two days of normal use, and I mean nothing that should have been damaging, it was in my pocket alone and if it wasnt there it was on my desk the damn thing got all scratched. They did a good job of rounding out the nano but the top has a sharp edge. This edge is going to be a problem for many people. Not only did it scratch after two days of use but since it is aluminum when it scratches it exposes the aluminum color which does not contrast very well with the black paint. I was so pissed that I returned it for a refund. I just dont get y they cant get this correct, you should not spend 300 dollars on a piece of equiptment that cant withstand two days of normal use.

oh man are you serious? I thought the new nanos would be alot more scratch-resistant.
  • Reply 71 of 77
    Maybe the black one is different from the rest, but my silver nano has held up just fine in the short time that I've had it. Not a scratch on it yet.
  • Reply 72 of 77
    Quote:

Maybe the black one is different from the rest, but my silver nano has held up just fine in the short time that I've had it. Not a scratch on it yet.

so maybe I should just get a silver 2gb. ( wanted a black but the more I think about it, I would only use it for podcasts;because of great podcasts integration and support; and maybe a few songs. It would basically be just a gym and school mp3 player.
  • Reply 73 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red Delicious

Let me just start out by saying that I was SOOOO excited for the new nano that I went and purchased one the day after they were announced from the apple store. I got the VERY sexy black 8 Gb version. After two days of normal use, and I mean nothing that should have been damaging, it was in my pocket alone and if it wasnt there it was on my desk the damn thing got all scratched. They did a good job of rounding out the nano but the top has a sharp edge. This edge is going to be a problem for many people. Not only did it scratch after two days of use but since it is aluminum when it scratches it exposes the aluminum color which does not contrast very well with the black paint.

I thought Apple said it was hard anodized, not paint. I would think you would have to scratch it pretty hard because anodization actually "seeps" color into the metal. It would have been nice to see photos of this.
  • Reply 74 of 77
    Quote:

Oops, I forgot that, and I think I was the first in this forum to point out there was no CD! You can't very well fold a CD into that case, though I would think that a "business card" type CD would fit, just not on the slot-loading drives that Apple likes to use.

Yeah, that really stinks. iTunes is such a huge program that downloading using dial-up would be impractical.
  • Reply 75 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deckard

Ian,

That was my first thought as well.

However, take a look at the third image down that shows the rear of the packaging - at the very bottom in the middle of the box you'll see the PET recycled/recyclable symbol.

That means that the box is either made from recycled PET plastic or is first use PET that can then be recycled into future products.

The process is actually really interesting.

Add to this the fact that less paper (and therefore trees - plantation pine or similar) is used and that it's much smaller in size allowing for greater numbers to be shipped at one time leading to a reduction in the number of shipments required for same quantity, you have something that's more environmentally friendly.

Even though it's plastic, I guess you'd have to call it 'good' plastic - or at least 'less bad' plastic!

Have a look at: http://container-recycling.org/plasfact/PETstraight.htm

This site gives some insight into the whole process of recycled plastics.

Kim.

Did a little googling on resin symbols, SPI, ISO-1043, etetera. So don't quote me on this but, from my brief search the "PC" stands for polycarbonate NOT polyester (it's common trade name) or "PET" (it's chemical abbreviation), and the "7" is usually used for "Other" meaning it isn't in the first 6 plastic categories (i. e. PET is resin type "1", I believe). According to greenpeace.org, "PC" types of plastics fall near the top of the hazardous plastics pyramid, NOT the bottom. But are ANY plastics good from a biodegradable standpoint? Several sites seem to indicate that type "7" plastics are NOT recyclable (or should not be recycled, just bury them).

Also, the recycle symbol just identifies basically which bin you should through the waste into (i. e. it just identifies the generic type of plastic for POTENTIAL re-processing purposes).

I doesn't mean that it was made from recycled plastic, and it doesn't mean that it can be recycled. It's just a symbol for identification purposes! And given it's purpose for identification, it isn't used in a consistent (i. e. same symbols) universal (i. e. worldwide) fashion!

So no, I don't think Jobs et. al. are walking-the-walk but just talking-the-talk, I just received my G2 nano today, packaging is VERY attractive versus the 1G nano, but from an environmental standpoint, the 2G nano packaging is VERY unattractive versus the 1G nano packaging! And we all know that Jobs, et. al. pride aesthetics above all else, to quote Steve, "Where's my jet, to hell with the environment." He really did say it, I was there, at an Outback Steakhouse, he was eating a 22 oz. prime rib after eating 2 of those fried onion thingies! He was wearing a pair of those fake thick rimmed black eyeglasses with mustache, but his black mock turtleneck and blue jeans were a dead giveaway!

And I just threw my plastic box into the ocean with a message inside, the message reads "Dispose of plastic waste products responsibly!"

• Reply 76 of 77
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

I thought Apple said it was hard anodized, not paint. I would think you would have to scratch it pretty hard because anodization actually "seeps" color into the metal. It would have been nice to see photos of this.

It's anodized. I don't know if it's hard anodized though.

The difference is the thickness of the layer. Standard anodizing is just a couple of ten's thick. At most three. It's purely for decorative purposes, where light wear is expected, like a music player.

Hard anodizing is between eight tens and a thousandth. This is used when a seriously hard wearing surface is needed, as on a tool surface.

The coatings are equally hard, but, of course, the thinner one wears off more easily. On a corner, or edge, where it will get the hardest usage, it will wear off first. But, the only way that will happen is if it it rubbed against something hard. So, no matter what is said, cloth won't do it. The coating is harder than hardened steel.

It will scratch if something hard and sharp is run across it with some force though, because the aluminum underneath is soft, and compresses, thereby allowing the very hard, and brittle, surface to rip.

Hard tempered grades of aluminum are normally used for wearing surfaces. Those alloys are too expensive for use in a music player.
  • Reply 77 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

It's anodized. I don't know if it's hard anodized though.

The difference is the thickness of the layer. Standard anodizing is just a couple of ten's thick. At most three. It's purely for decorative purposes, where light wear is expected, like a music player.

Hard anodizing is between eight tens and a thousandth. This is used when a seriously hard wearing surface is needed, as on a tool surface.

The coatings are equally hard, but, of course, the thinner one wears off more easily. On a corner, or edge, where it will get the hardest usage, it will wear off first. But, the only way that will happen is if it it rubbed against something hard. So, no matter what is said, cloth won't do it. The coating is harder than hardened steel.

It will scratch if something hard and sharp is run across it with some force though, because the aluminum underneath is soft, and compresses, thereby allowing the very hard, and brittle, surface to rip.

Hard tempered grades of aluminum are normally used for wearing surfaces. Those alloys are too expensive for use in a music player.

Yeah, the black one I got today sure looks anodized, NOT willing to scratch it though! About to head over to Wal-Fart to get a case for it.

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but the hub of the click wheel makes a distinct audible hardware "click" sound when pushed, and the scroll wheel makes a distinct audible software "clicky" sound when spinning the wheel. Sweet! The finish on the hub exactly matches the finish of the aluminum enclosure, methinks the hub may also be aluminum.

Also, upon plugging in the 2G nano, iTunes installs a 1.01 update. What's up with that?