Mac Book Pro Upgrades at Photonica?

jcgjcg
Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
From MacWorld a press event on the 24th. This would be a logical place to see updates to the MacBook Pro as well as Professional imaging software.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    It's been said many times before, but they won't have a special event to put slightly faster processors in the laptops.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    I seriously doubt it. I WANT to believe they'll let them loose this month, but I'm skeptical.

Maybe Apple is planning on bringing a digital camera to the market? :/
  • Reply 3 of 27
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell

It's been said many times before, but they won't have a special event to put slightly faster processors in the laptops.

You mean like the special event last year where they introduced, oh, faster PowerBooks (with higher-resolution screens), dual-core Power Macs and Aperture?

This photokina event sounds like a great place to introduce faster MacBook Pros (perhaps with even-higher-resolution screens) and Aperture 2.0.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

You mean like the special event last year where they introduced, oh, faster PowerBooks (with higher-resolution screens), dual-core Power Macs and Aperture?

This photokina event sounds like a great place to introduce faster MacBook Pros (perhaps with even-higher-resolution screens) and Aperture 2.0.

Seriously? I'll have to check out last year's show. It would be completely worth the wait if we got higher rez panels in the faster MBP's (with singlestick 1Gb RAM!) at this year's show. I didn't know that, thanks for the info!
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Quote:

What was that event where they introduced the 17" MacBook Pro this year.....

I do believe Apple might introduce a new MacBook Pro if only (perhaps this Tuesday or on the day of the event) to show off the new version of Aperture (2.0)

So Heres what I believe well get at or before Photokina:

- Aperture 2.0

- New iSight cameras

- New Core 2 Duo MacBook Pros

- New Display model (bigger then 30" perhpas with integrated iSight)***

*** Note: I doubt this prediction but who knows
  • Reply 6 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Darth_Apple

I do believe Apple might introduce a new MacBook Pro if only (perhaps this Tuesday or on the day of the event) to show off the new version of Aperture (2.0)

So Heres what I believe well get at or before Photokina:

- Aperture 2.0

- New iSight cameras

- New Core 2 Duo MacBook Pros

- New Display model (bigger then 30" perhpas with integrated iSight)***

*** Note: I doubt this prediction but who knows

Anything is possible with Apple... I think I'm giving up on trying to predict what or when anything new is coming. I can see Apple updating their Displays to include iSight though. Ok, THAT was the last prediction!

BTW. I think you spelled civilized wrong in your sig.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    double post...
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Quote:

They used to do that, but since the intel switch it seems like they tend to do speed bumps with just a press release. I'd bet they release new MBP before that event.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder

They used to do that, but since the intel switch it seems like they tend to do speed bumps with just a press release. I'd bet they release new MBP before that event.

Yes, but I can see them making the 64 bit chip a big deal. I think after this bump, they will follow through with press releases. This Photonica event would be a good time to show what the new MBP could do with new software. You have the attention of everyone that would be interested in buying a 64 bit laptop, they can really pitch it directly to them.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WhetWurm

Anything is possible with Apple... I think I'm giving up on trying to predict what or when anything new is coming. I can see Apple updating their Displays to include iSight though. Ok, THAT was the last prediction!

BTW. I think you spelled civilized wrong in your sig.

I agree with you.

You know something funny, I knew there was something wrong in my sig but I could not put my finger on it.... thanks

Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder

Like I said before Apple released the 17" MacBook Pro at NAB this year and if I'm not mistaken it was on Sunday to.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Darth_Apple

Both of those were more than just speed-bumps. You guys are right that they could introduce new machines at this event, especially if they're upgraded in some other way. I just wanted to point out that if they just bumped the processor speed - which is what most people are expecting - they could do that any time without an event. They stopped doing regular processor bumps at special events and keynotes what, 5 years ago?
  • Reply 12 of 27
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

I just wanted to point out that if they just bumped the processor speed - which is what most people are expecting - they could do that any time without an event.

Oh, of course. But I don't think it's at all unreasonable for Apple to find some way to tie an MBP upgrade in to a photography-related context. And really, was the PB upgrade truly that much more than a speedbump? Higher resolutions and dual-layer burning (which was subsequently removed*), but nothing too ground-breaking. Arguably, the previous "speedbump" in January '05 had been a comparable, if not more significant upgrade, with the addition of the Sudden Motion Sensor and the Scrolling Trackpad.

*) At the very least, Apple should have found a way to re-add this now. Hopefully.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Photographers are big on laptops, since you obviously can't carry a desktop around with you easily to events etc., so it'd be an appropriate accompaniment to an Aperture release. Based on Apple's invites, I kind of expect an Aperture upgrade, but I'm a bit perplexed that we really haven't heard anything in the lead up.

Also, I think it would be a bit of a train wreck to release an iSight camera at the same event that you speak of Aperture. Two entirely disparate markets.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Oh, of course. But I don't think it's at all unreasonable for Apple to find some way to tie an MBP upgrade in to a photography-related context. And really, was the PB upgrade truly that much more than a speedbump? Higher resolutions and dual-layer burning (which was subsequently removed*), but nothing too ground-breaking. Arguably, the previous "speedbump" in January '05 had been a comparable, if not more significant upgrade, with the addition of the Sudden Motion Sensor and the Scrolling Trackpad.

*) At the very least, Apple should have found a way to re-add this now. Hopefully.

Yeah, it actually seems likely to me. I kind of knee-jerked on that first post.

It's hard to imagine that they'd make a big deal out of bumping Aperture, so I'd expect something else, and MBPs seem as good of a possibility as anything else.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WhetWurm

I can see Apple updating their Displays to include iSight though.

It could also be that Apple is waiting to update the ACDs with iSight until they also have HDTV ready, ie: HDCP and Blueray...
  • Reply 16 of 27
    UPDATE: The event is NOT on the 24th it's actually on the 25th MacWorld just posted the update a little while ago.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    It is always possible that the new "Design Direction" for enclosures will come out with the MacBook Pro's.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Anyone else think that Apple should sack all its marketing staff and use us guys on these forums to dictate its future plans ( ).

Funny how when we all want something we become fast talking marketing experts. We are the consumers after-all, we know what we want! The link between the updated MBP and the Photokina event seems as fluid as any argument I have seen to tell all about the new MBP with Meroms There seems to be massive anticipation for the fresh MBP, bring it on Apple!

• Reply 19 of 27
    Not quite so fluid as one would think; given how a majority of photographers consider a laptop a necessary piece of hardware these days, and how heavily Apple has marketed the fact that Aperture's rendering pipeline uses 64 bit FP arithmetic for its non-destructive edits (Merom being a 64 bit CPU, unlike Yonah).
  • Reply 20 of 27
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChevalierMalFet

and how heavily Apple has marketed the fact that Aperture's rendering pipeline uses 64 bit FP arithmetic for its non-destructive edits (Merom being a 64 bit CPU, unlike Yonah).

A processor being "64 bit" refers to its integer units, not floating point. Floating point units have been 64 bit for years and years.

On top of that, Aperture does most of its image processing via CoreImage, on the video card, not the CPU.