Why you will NEVER see a fingerprint scanner built in

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    Do any of us really have anything that's worth all that protection anyways? Thieves aren't going to return your iBook once they realize they can't get past your retinal scan or secret code hamster nail clipping you put in the secret code hamster nail clipping verifier. All that security is just a bit of revenge to make the theives' live a bit more difficult, but it won't bring the computer back.

Other than that, just don't keep your bank and mail pincodes/passwords, the naked pictures of your wife, or the photos you took of your balls to try to get a date on your hard drive, if you're that worried. Or maybe you're writing a top-secret movie script for the next James Bond movie or ghost writing a song for Paul Anka or...? Do what writers like Grisham and Rowling do, and copyright the drafts online daily - not that difficult or expensive, and a lot safer than any security system you can think of. It takes me about 10 seconds extra each day to type my email and bank codes in manually each day, and makes me feel much safer than if any schmoe can open up gmail and find the addresses of all the people I sent my secret cookie recipe to.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    Don't be so sure that all of them have been tricked. And further more I have top level clearances for the job I do and it takes allot more than just finger prints to get in. Most systems are tiered, and require thermal foot printing of the face. Even twins have different signatures, but there are other measures that they have on systems as well.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

well, for what it's worth, conventional locks are quite easy to fool too. last month i opened a master combination lock i had forgotten the code to with a method i found online that didn't involve destroying or dissassembling the lock.

once i left my car keys inside the car and the locksmith used a cheap aluminum hook to open the car again (took him under 5 minutes).

a few weeks ago my girlfriend got locked out of her office cubicle and i opened it with a plastic calling card.

so i guess what i am trying to say is that you can fool many security systems with rudimentary tools. 8)

mmm...google lock bumping and look for the videos...

Vinea
  • Reply 24 of 28
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elderloc

Don't be so sure that all of them have been tricked. And further more I have top level clearances for the job I do and it takes allot more than just finger prints to get in. Most systems are tiered, and require thermal foot printing of the face. Even twins have different signatures, but there are other measures that they have on systems as well.

Ooh ooh! Do you work at Stargate Command? Are you Walter!?
  • Reply 25 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elderloc

Wait a minute.

1) "a lot" is 2 words, no allot.

2) "thermal foot printing of the face"? Are you kidding me? (Also, footprint is one word)

Maybe you meant that your character on "The Sims" video game has top level clearance. Or has your face been "thermal foot printed" one too many times?
  • Reply 26 of 28
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    If he has a "top level clearance" he shouldn't say he has one (even anonymously) and he shouldn't go into any details about security anyways.

Vinea

Fixed dumb typo.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    Shh. They are watching us.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass

Wait a minute.

2) "thermal foot printing of the face"? Are you kidding me? (Also, footprint is one word)

I think it's a euphamism. If someone comes in who doesn't belong there, the guard kicks them in the face. The resulting warm bruised area is nicknamed "Thermal footprinting of the face." Best security ever.