G5 and MW?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Many sites have been reporting that the G5 will not be released at macworld. (I know everyine else knows this, just putting the facts in place) Anyways, MOSR even went and said they would not be ready yet. No one has said it will not be SHOWN yet, though. (If I am wrong, please show me) Anyways, what if they went ahead and SHOWCASED it, announcing it would be available in a month or two.... That way, they could show us now, and hold us over with the iMac or something like that....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    What if the G5 is available on January 7, 2002?
  • Reply 2 of 39
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    If they said the G5 would be ready in a few weeks.....

Then they wouldn't sell a single desktop from now until the G5 was ready.

The stock would drop by 50% and a large crack in the Earth would form swalling most of Cupertino.

MSKR

I may be underestimating a little here.

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: Masker ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 39
    [quote]Originally posted by Masker:

<strong>Then they wouldn't sell a single desktop from now until the G5 was ready.

The stock would drop by 50% and a large crack in the Earth would form swalling most of Cupertino.

MSKR

I may be underestimating a little here.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I dont think they would announce a chip and not ship it relatively soon (2-4 weeks).
  • Reply 4 of 39
    Lol. If they released some other great digital devices, too, then they would still make money during that time period.. But, I am of course probably wrong as usual.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    scadboyscadboy Posts: 189member
    I posted this in another forum, because it was the only other one that seemed appropriate, and this one didn't exist yet, but I think it fits better here, so here goes...take this for what it's worth, I don't even believe it myself, so much...

my b/f came home from work today, and we're having dinner, and we're talking, you know, the usual "how was your day" chit chat, and I'm like "oh, and on apple today, the tagline was ..." he interupts, "yeah, G5's are coming monday."

"huh? what do you mean?" I ask puzzled, as he goes on to tell me about this kid he works with. Neither he nor my b/f are Mac freaks like myself by any means, but I guess he had mentioned how crazy I had been over the whole Macworld thing and what not, and he says something about the G5, and the kid he works with is all like "G5? aren't those out yet?"

To which my b/f responds "Why, no..."

"Oh, that's funny, my friend who works at apple has had one for like a month, he was all excited about it when he got it... blah blah blah, but I was all like 'whatever' so I just figured they were out." Says the kid at work.

This could very well mean nothing, I don't know this kid, let alone his friend "who works at apple," and he could, being a non apple freak, simply mistaken G5 for G4 or whatever. But....something about this... the answers are never where you're looking for them, they just kind of find you, you know?

So, I'm not saying it's the god-honest truth, and I'm not going to use the "C" word, but I do think it's something to chew on, and I'm slightly less skeptical, and a little more hopeful for a G5 intro on Monday.

So anyway,

I recommend everyone take the day off sunday, get some rest, leave these poor boards alone, meditate, read a book, write some poetry, just chill out, because, no matter how much we chit chat, nothing's going to change what does come out on monday, so we might as well just let it surprise us when it does come, actually enjoy it for a change instead of analyizing every possible outcome.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

As if... See you all tomorrow,

ciao,

michael
  • Reply 6 of 39
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    If they announce it publicly, they will allow pre-orders. At worst in the scenario that they announce G5's without having them, if they have them out (cashing in on pre-orders) by the end of the quarter, it's the same thing on the books. The rush or orders could likely outweigh the loss in G4 purchases in the meantime. Of course, waiting 3 months for a pre-order is bit silly.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Nice story, scadboy .
  • Reply 8 of 39
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Nice post, EmAn.

(forgot about that New Year's Resolution already, huh?)
  • Reply 9 of 39
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

<strong>Nice post, EmAn.

(forgot about that New Year's Resolution already, huh?)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well I think I'll start the New Year's Resolution after MWSF... if I can
  • Reply 10 of 39
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 11 of 39
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    [quote]So anyway,

I recommend everyone take the day off sunday, get some rest, leave these poor boards alone, meditate, read a book, write some poetry, just chill out, because, no matter how much we chit chat, nothing's going to change what does come out on monday, so we might as well just let it surprise us when it does come, actually enjoy it for a change instead of analyizing every possible outcome.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

As if... See you all tomorrow,

ciao,

michael<hr></blockquote>

ROTFL! Had me there...

Off topic, but r u gay, scadboy?
  • Reply 12 of 39
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    AMD and Intel will chip a new processor in use of 0.13 micron technology - so why motorola shouldn't release the G5 with 0.13?
  • Reply 13 of 39
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Scad boy? Interesting choice of names for a homo, no?
  • Reply 14 of 39
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 389member

<strong>If they said the G5 would be ready in a few weeks.....

MSKR

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: Masker ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't think so. What Apple doesn't want is you to have your money out, and since the product is not available, you go buy a non-Apple product. But in this case, I think most who want a PowerMac will pre-order and still eventually give their money to Apple. Apple loses a very little bit - financially its better to have our money sooner than later - but doesn't lost the sale.

For other products, it is not so cut and dried. For an Airport, there are other competitive, functionally equivalent products. Another example would be the iMac - if the top of the line is not availabe as soon, but less expensive models are, some may opt for the less expensive model rather than wait. Apple still got the sale, but Apple probably makes more money on the top models, so they forever lost that part of the profit.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    jerombajeromba Posts: 357member

<strong>If they said the G5 would be ready in a few weeks.....

MSKR

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: Masker ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Do you forget some other things like new LCD iMac and the One More Thing ?... that will sell and fast with the 27 apple stores.

And didn't they do that last year with the 733 G4 ?
  • Reply 16 of 39
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>Scad boy? Interesting choice of names for a homo, no?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yikes Matsu... you is a nasty mofo.

Anyway, I think scatboy would be the bad one... not sure what a scad is.

Anyway, a little out of line don't you think?

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>
  • Reply 17 of 39
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    stimuli asked:

iOff topic, but r u gay, scadboy?

Come on man! Anyone you says 'ciao' is gay!

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: Outsider ]</p>
  • Reply 18 of 39
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>Scad boy? Interesting choice of names for a homo, no?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I, being very conservative, am not exactly a gay rights activist. But that comment was out of line and the mods should do something about it. We don't need to do that in here...

Hope your story is true, scadboy.

AND ALSO, as far as the G5 is concerned:

Jerimiah Rich Writes:

"Many sites have been reporting that the G5 will not be released at macworld. (I know everyine else knows this, just putting the facts in place)"

Well, I don't agree. I think if Apple developed the chip then it could very well be coming in secret.. If not G5, then I DO BUY the speeds of 1.2, 1.4 possibly 1.6......

MOSR and SPYMAC are totally full of shit. The Register had multiple sources on the G5....and none of what they posted has been debunked...not factually. I think it is coming....mark my words. If I'm wrong, fine. I'll live with that.

Not EVERYONE agrees here.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    [quote]Scad boy? Interesting choice of names for a homo, no?<hr></blockquote>

Savannah College of Art and Design, SCAD, you ignorant hetero.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    [quote]Originally posted by cowerd:

<strong>

Savannah College of Art and Design, SCAD, you ignorant hetero.</strong><hr></blockquote>

lol. Reminds me of "Jane, you ignorant slut."

anyone here old enough to remember that SNL skit?