iMac out of the box - going back before turning it on

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi,

I just got my 24" imac ordered from the local apple store.

It took me 3 seconds to realize that it's going back. On the "chin", there's a black dot (small but very noticable) that's embedded in the plastic. It's about the size of a pen tip but it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Anyone else see anything like this ??

Phil

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    fly in the plastics!
  • Reply 2 of 27
    Update - the local apple store is washing their hands of this since it was CTO.

Thinking about switching to Windows....
  • Reply 3 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by philbutler

If you're that damn anal retentive, what makes you think you'll be any happier with a pc? Have you looked at them? Real sweet design there......
  • Reply 4 of 27
    good point - but after spending $2500, it should be right.

Apple's QA people must have been sleeping that day...

Phil
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Quote:

good point - but after spending $2500, it should be right.

Apple's QA people must have been sleeping that day...

Phil

It should. Sorry, that was a bit harsh on my part. I'm in a shitty mood since I didn't get my core 2 MBP today.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    want a flawed iMac ??

Am on hold with AppleCare now - will return for exchange if they can get one back to me ASAP - otherwise will get a refund and get a stock iMac from Apple Store today - but I really don't want to deal with them.

We have a Mac club meeting tonight - 50+ people are going to get an ear-full.

Phil
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Haven't noticed anything like that at all. I agree that you're the customer and you should be satisfied with your purchase. I would call Apple and see if they can help you.

FWIW, the screen is so friggin' large that I never look at the chin.

8)

--DotComCTO
  • Reply 8 of 27
    No company will ever have an entirely flawless run of a product line. It's unfortunate that you're having a problem, but Apple will likely work with you to get it resolved. Just be patient. It's worth waiting for a replacement rather than switching to Windows.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Quote:

want a flawed iMac ??

Am on hold with AppleCare now - will return for exchange if they can get one back to me ASAP - otherwise will get a refund and get a stock iMac from Apple Store today - but I really don't want to deal with them.

We have a Mac club meeting tonight - 50+ people are going to get an ear-full.

Phil

Post a picture if possible. I'd like to see this flaw. Thanks.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Yeah, Windows XP's integrated small-dot-in-plastic removal sub-program prevents this sort of thing from happening.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

If you're that damn anal retentive, what makes you think you'll be any happier with a pc? Have you looked at them? Real sweet design there......

Dude....

Is it unreasonable to expect local retail outlets for the company to take care of your problems?

He paid extra to get an Apple. For ~$2000, the plastic should be perfect.

That's like a honda dealer not fixing a scratch in your new car, and instead making you send it back to Japan.

Even if it's against company policy, they should eat the cost of RMA's from local retail outlets to HQ.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Sorry - no picture - it's already been boxed back up waiting for the RMA from Apple. Hopefully that'll come this afternoon and it'll be over at Fedex within 30 minutes. The size of the "dot" is roughly twice the size of a period here ( . ) - very noticable on a perfect white chin.

I have been an Apple user from the beginning - bought one of the first 128k Macs for more than what this 24" iMac is costing. I understand that things created by human hands can have flaws - but it really got under my skin this morning when the local Apple store manager told me that I was on my own to get it fixed with Apple. Next time I order from the Apple online store - it WILL NOT be with the local one - they aren't going to get credit for a purchase they won't stand behind. I'll pick a store randomly to get the credit. I know this won't put the local Apple store out of business for not getting credit for any of my purchases, but it sure will make me feel better

If it wasn't for my new-found refusal to give any business to the local Apple store, I would have gotten a refund and bought one out of stock today from them. I haven't checked with CompUSA to see if they had anything in stock.

Phil
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slughead

Dude....

Is it unreasonable to expect local retail outlets for the company to take care of your problems?

He paid extra to get an Apple. For ~$2000, the plastic should be perfect.

That's like a honda dealer not fixing a scratch in your new car, and instead making you send it back to Japan.

Even if it's against company policy, they should eat the cost of RMA's from local retail outlets to HQ.

Yeah, I went off the deep end there. I apologized and will now sit in the corner in time out.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    It's because it was a customized unit. The local Apple Store keeps *stock* units only - you basically would have had to have them pull a unit they had on hand, then start customizing it. Alright, maybe they would have had the parts on hand to do yours - but what about the next 20 folks with CTO unit problems? Or assume that they pulled the CTO pieces from the box you brought back, and put them in a stock unit. How long will that take in labor? Will they screw something up, and leave you without a unit anyway? Will they break something else? It's a crap shoot.

If you order a CTO, then you have to go through Apple central for replacement - it's *always* been this way, and I don't see a serious problem with it. Sucks that you couldn't get immediate satisfaction at the store, but it's a clear policy on their website when you order. OTOH, 10:43am is when you first posted, and 1:33pm is when you say you're just waiting for an RMA to take it over to FedEx. That's less than three hours. It's not like you've spent weeks trying to get them to replace it for what is, let's face it, a tiny cosmetic issue. Most companies would just laugh at you.

If you buy it at the store, *and walk out with it at the same time*, then you can return it there. If not, then you can't. Been that way since they opened. Now, I can see a case for allowing you to ship it back to Apple and pick it up through the store, (ie, take it back, they ship it back, let you know when your new one is in), but having a unified return system for all customers makes sense from their end.

I don't know, it sounds to me like you've had a pretty good experience with an unfortunate minor situation.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    I know it's just been a few hours - but this machine is replacing a dying iMac G5 which is shutting down sporadically. I probably would have waited for a new machine for a while, but when the G5 20" started dying. If it was just once or twice a day, I could live with that, but sometimes it's 4 times in 10 minutes. It's under Applecare, so they'll make it right. But it's darned inconvenient since that is/was my primary machine. Having to wait another week is not going to be good at all.

Phil
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:

I know it's just been a few hours - but this machine is replacing a dying iMac G5 which is shutting down sporadically. I probably would have waited for a new machine for a while, but when the G5 20" started dying. If it was just once or twice a day, I could live with that, but sometimes it's 4 times in 10 minutes. It's under Applecare, so they'll make it right. But it's darned inconvenient since that is/was my primary machine. Having to wait another week is not going to be good at all.

Phil

Don't you have 14-day no quibble returns policy? Or is it the wait from ordering another that puts you off doing this?
  • Reply 17 of 27
    It's the wait on ordering another...
  • Reply 18 of 27
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Yeesh, I feel for ya. That does indeed sound like a frustrating situation. \

Here's hoping they take care of this one pronto.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Im almost (80%) sure that the 'Black dot' is a speaker, just like that one in the monitor of my iMac G4 700GHz.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    I have never seen a speaker that's about 1/16" across. I thought the speakers were on the bottom anyway - not on the chin.

I am waiting (still) for a RMA email from Apple - if I don't get it today so that a new machine can be started, I am going to return the machine for a full refund and buy one from CompUSA (NOT the Apple store). I hope the Apple care that I bought will transfer - else I'll be returning that also.

Phil