Disney chief talks up Apple's iTV media hub

1235711

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 211
    .....
  • Reply 82 of 211
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,033member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell


    Jobs left plenty of questions about iTV that we cannot completely rely on what he has told us so far. Of course Jobs being the showman wants to save the best for the product launch.



    The iPod has no heat dissipation for its hard drive either.



    It may be true that he's rambling none of us can say for sure because we don't even fully know what iTV will do. If Apple does include an HD they have the answers to all of your questions.



    If he is just talking out of his ass he isn't really doing Apple any favors by promising features that iTV won't have.



    The drive in the iPod is smaller, and slower.



    But, I think that he's just speculating.



    "How do you think this works, Mr Iger?"



    Mr. Iger, with forefinger pressed to lips, replies: "It streams the video from the computer, or it has a hard drive for storing the file."



    "Do you have an idea as to which way is correct?"



    Iger, shrugging his shoulders: "Not really, but either way would probably work."
  • Reply 83 of 211
    Well the ripple in the water is spreading.



    Other blogs are repeating Iger's statement about the hard drive. If Apple doesn't deliver people will complain.
  • Reply 84 of 211
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,033member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell


    Well the ripple in the water is spreading.



    Other blogs are repeating Iger's statement about the hard drive. If Apple doesn't deliver people will complain.



    And that would be Apple's fault.



    If they are ewaiting for final n certification, they should say so, and release the specs, ALL the specs.
  • Reply 85 of 211
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell


    "iTV can also stream content live through the box to a TV screen or it has a small hard drive on it so you can download what you put on the device -- on your computer on your itunes -- to the television set."



    The way I read it is you can stream content from your computer or store content on iTV's hard drive. OR meaning you have either choice.



    This reminds me of that "iPod last fo(u)r years" ambiguity not too long ago.
  • Reply 86 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross


    I don't know anyone at this time who does not have some DVR.



    Where do you live?!?! Oh, NYC, cool!!!



    Maybe 5% of the people I know have DVR. The rest will wait for something that doesn't lock them into another service with another box. But they do have iPods and if this device is marketed as an "iPod for your TV" they might actually go for it. I know in no logical, geekified way IS it an iPod for the TV, but that is how regular people think.
  • Reply 87 of 211
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross


    And that would be Apple's fault.



    If they are ewaiting for final n certification, they should say so, and release the specs, ALL the specs.



    This is probably one reason why Apple doesn't like to preannounce. Besides, since when do they have to release ALL the specs?



    The 802.11<no letter> and HDMI output are all tipoffs that iTV is intended for HD. There aren't that many HDMI inputs on most display devices and you sure don't want to burn one for a SD device when component will do. You can get by with 802.11G for current rez playback even if N is better. The newer 802.11G routers are MIMO as well.



    By showing the device in this state its a nudge nudge wink wink that iTV will be HD and so will the iTS. If not, the lack or presence of a hard drive will hardly matter much if they fail to be HD.



    There are no inputs on the device so its not going to be a PVR. The form factor is too small to want it to store your video collection (ie work without a PC or Mac). For temp storage and buffering might be nice but if you're tethered to iTunes on a PC/Mac anyway there's a perfectly good hard drive there.



    The easy work around is to stack it with one of the external drives the Mini uses...but really...why is it Apple's interest to untether it from a computer if hopefully you decide that the Mini is the best computer to stack it with?



    Vinea
  • Reply 88 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea


    This is probably one reason why Apple doesn't like to preannounce. Besides, since when do they have to release ALL the specs?



    The 802.11<no letter> and HDMI output are all tipoffs that iTV is intended for HD. There aren't that many HDMI inputs on most display devices and you sure don't want to burn one for a SD device when component will do. You can get by with 802.11G for current rez playback even if N is better. The newer 802.11G routers are MIMO as well.



    By showing the device in this state its a nudge nudge wink wink that iTV will be HD and so will the iTS. If not, the lack or presence of a hard drive will hardly matter much if they fail to be HD.



    There are no inputs on the device so its not going to be a PVR. The form factor is too small to want it to store your video collection (ie work without a PC or Mac). For temp storage and buffering might be nice but if you're tethered to iTunes on a PC/Mac anyway there's a perfectly good hard drive there.



    The easy work around is to stack it with one of the external drives the Mini uses...but really...why is it Apple's interest to untether it from a computer if hopefully you decide that the Mini is the best computer to stack it with?



    Vinea



    I think you are right about HD

    Jobs is obsessed with it and has a window of opportunity to bypass Blue-ray and HD-DVD.

    Makes me wonder if Apple may be updating their Cinema Displays to include HDMI Inputs.

    They should have put an HDMI input on the 24" iMac as well.



    The USB port could be used for input but again Apple has no interest in getting into the PVR business.

    Apple is thinking long term...eventually everyone will have cheap super-highspeed connections in their home.

    Korea has 50Mbit connections nationwide.



    Time-shifting with a VCR was popular when you had only 8 stations.

    Once cable TV became popular, people stopped time-shifting with a VCR.

    Since people had plenty of choices they would watch what was on instead of all the extra effort of setting up recording.



    The same thing will happen eventually with DVR(its just a glorified VCR).

    Once you can watch anything you want to when ever you want to instantly, POOF! The old media delivery system will be obsolete.



    [CENTER]THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED!

    IT WILL BE STREAMED IN H.264
    [/CENTER]
  • Reply 89 of 211
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    I found an interesting article linked to on MacSurfer

    http://www.nypost.com/business/retai...tim_arango.htm



    from the article

    "But several weeks ago, in the midst of rumors that Apple was close to announcing a deal with Disney, Wal-Mart's David Porter - the executive responsible for stocking the retailer's shelves with DVDs and CDs and whose influence is so immense in Tinseltown that he's been named to Premiere magazine's annual power list - made the rounds of Hollywood studios.



    His message, according to a studio exec involved in the discussions: that there would be "serious ramifications" if the studios hopped in bed with Apple.



    "They threatened to hurt us in terms of buying less products," said this person."



    I wonder if Disney is worried that Walmart will retaliate against them?
  • Reply 90 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickag


    I found an interesting article linked to on MacSurfer

    http://www.nypost.com/business/retai...tim_arango.htm



    from the article

    "But several weeks ago, in the midst of rumors that Apple was close to announcing a deal with Disney, Wal-Mart's David Porter - the executive responsible for stocking the retailer's shelves with DVDs and CDs and whose influence is so immense in Tinseltown that he's been named to Premiere magazine's annual power list - made the rounds of Hollywood studios.



    His message, according to a studio exec involved in the discussions: that there would be "serious ramifications" if the studios hopped in bed with Apple.



    "They threatened to hurt us in terms of buying less products," said this person."



    I wonder if Disney is worried that Walmart will retaliate against them?



    WalMart is the past and Apple is the future.

    WalMart understands brick and mortar and will continue to be very successful in this shrinking area.

    But!....Media wants to be digital! Putting it on aluminum sheets sandwiched in plastic and shipping it via semi trucks ain't going to work.



    If people want Disney products, they'll find Disney products in just about any store.

    I was in CVS this morning and saw some Disney DVDs not far from the cash register.

    WalMart is scared and knows it can't create a viable online strategy.

    With all the online expertise that Amazon has...all they were able to come up with was Unbox!
  • Reply 91 of 211
    I forgot to mention that even though WalMart was concerned that the iTunes Music Store would compete with its physical CD sales, they chose to sell iPods.
  • Reply 92 of 211
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    I'll wager good money that the iTS will not offer HD movies anytime soon. I'm expecting that they'll up the res to 480p (full dvd res, if not full dvd bitrate), maybe at MWSF07, maybe when iTV is released, maybe at WWDC or Paris Expo 07, but sometime within the next year.



    Why the HDMI port? For future proofing, for one (so when you upgrade to an HDTV, you can still use the iTV...remember most people have not even thought about buying an HDTV yet). But the iTV will also "upscale" video in the same way DVD player now do.



    Steve Jobs may be "obsessed" with HD (I don't know, but it may be true), but it ain't going to happen anytime soon. Why?



    - files are too big (20+GBs per movie)

    - too long to download (10 hours given the best conditions)

    - competition with hard media (BDs/HDDVDs) which movie studios have invested billions in

    - won't be 1080p (so all the early adopters, who want the best of the best, would turn their noses up)

    - too few people have HDTVs at the moment anyway



    It may happen in 2009 or 2010 when we have deeper broadband penetration, faster connections, mainstream HDTV adoption, 2TB HDDs that cost $250, a better video codec, and Wal-Mart is selling overstocked BDs in their bargain bin for $5.99. Before then though, forget about it.
  • Reply 93 of 211
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    As much as we all want to see Apple succeed with iTunes and iTV, DVD sales were $16 billion a year. If you look at what movie studios do - TV shows on DVD, special edition DVDs - they get richer selling the same thing over and over. And how about when the kids go into Walmart, grabs a copy of Finding Nemo and won't leave unless mom buys it? DVD's are a gold mine for movie studios. It isn't going away any time soon.
  • Reply 94 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella


    [CENTER]THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED!

    IT WILL BE STREAMED IN H.264
    [/CENTER]



    Yep--and I agree with the rest of your comments.



    WRT Walmart, I'm curious to the validity of the article (and the report has been on the intarweb a couple of weeks ago, too). I really can't see Walmart flexing muscle over movie downloads when they haven't flexed muscle (as far as I know) about downloading TV shows or music. iTunes music sales are such a small percentage of total music sales and movie downloads will be even smaller. I can't believe that the company's DVD sales would be scratched at all--at least not for the next five years (especially with BR and HD-DVD disks coming to supplant the DVD shelves).



    Slightly, different topic. I can't help but be suprised and pleased at the success of QuickTime through the success of iTunes and the iPod. Not too many years ago, there was quite a scare (at least from me) that QT would be marginalized with Real and WM being the big hitters. With iTunes for Windows and each success in downloaded TV and movie sales, it's the other two that are on the ropes (especially with the MS incredibly bone-headed move of not having the Zune use "PlaysForSure"--I'm absolutely incredulous at that). Hopefully soon, iTS store movies and TV will come be QT files with multiple audio tracks for commentaries.
  • Reply 95 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scottiB


    Yep--and I agree with the rest of your comments.



    WRT Walmart, I'm curious to the validity of the article (and the report has been on the intarweb a couple of weeks ago, too). I really can't see Walmart flexing muscle over movie downloads when they haven't flexed muscle (as far as I know) about downloading TV shows or music. iTunes music sales are such a small percentage of total music sales and movie downloads will be even smaller. I can't believe that the company's DVD sales would be scratched at all--at least not for the next five years (especially with BR and HD-DVD disks coming to supplant the DVD shelves).



    Slightly, different topic. I can't help but be suprised and pleased at the success of QuickTime through the success of iTunes and the iPod. Not too many years ago, there was quite a scare (at least from me) that QT would be marginalized with Real and WM being the big hitters. With iTunes for Windows and each success in downloaded TV and movie sales, it's the other two that are on the ropes (especially with the MS incredibly bone-headed move of not having the Zune use "PlaysForSure"--I'm absolutely incredulous at that). Hopefully soon, iTS store movies and TV will come be QT files with multiple audio tracks for commentaries.



    Just to clear up some confusion... I don't think Apple is going to offer HD movies any time soon.

    Walmart is worried about their CD sales, DVD sales, sales of DVD players and TVs.

    What I'm saying is that while the rest of the big boys are trying to win the HD war, Apple is going to come out with a system that will ween consumers away from the idea of going to a store and buying physical media.



    If Steve has his way Blu-ray and HD-DVD will both loose to DVD quality downloads.

    Once consumers are used to downloads vs. physical purchases, Apple can keep increasing the quality as bandwidth increases.



    MS not using "Plays for Sure" is the most ironic thing EVAR!
  • Reply 96 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickag


    I found an interesting article linked to on MacSurfer

    http://www.nypost.com/business/retai...tim_arango.htm



    from the article

    "But several weeks ago, in the midst of rumors that Apple was close to announcing a deal with Disney, Wal-Mart's David Porter - the executive responsible for stocking the retailer's shelves with DVDs and CDs and whose influence is so immense in Tinseltown that he's been named to Premiere magazine's annual power list - made the rounds of Hollywood studios.



    His message, according to a studio exec involved in the discussions: that there would be "serious ramifications" if the studios hopped in bed with Apple.



    "They threatened to hurt us in terms of buying less products," said this person."



    I wonder if Disney is worried that Walmart will retaliate against them?



    Yaaaayyyy Time to check our facts!



    http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...src=rss&rpc=22



    From the article:



    LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Wal-Mart Stores Inc. on Friday said it was not trying to dissuade movie studios from working with other forms of distribution, such as Apple Computer Inc.'s iTunes download service.



    The New York Post reported Friday that the world's largest retailer has warned Hollywood it may retaliate against studios for selling movies on iTunes, a move that could hurt Wal-Mart's DVD sales. "The Post story appears to be a rehashing of the misinformation that's been printed previously," a Wal-Mart spokeswoman said in a statement.
  • Reply 97 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker


    I think most people are already aware that I don't like way iTV appears to be. Actually I hate the idea, but I just wanted to note that I think it seems a bit unrealistic that Robert Iger is giving props to Apple on this. Now that Steve Jobs is the largest single shareholder at Disney it almost seems like Jobs is touting this himself. Anyone else get that impression? You know what I mean? It just feels weird.



    I put the same stock in Iger's comments about the iTV that Jobs said about the Segway (anyone remember these famous words?... "They'll design cities around them!")
  • Reply 98 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross


    Here's an article to start some more speculation.



    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060921-7801.html



    Are you suggesting 2 models at launch (or a second model sometime thereafter)?



    iTV & iTV-HD?
  • Reply 99 of 211
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,033member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea


    This is probably one reason why Apple doesn't like to preannounce. Besides, since when do they have to release ALL the specs?



    The 802.11<no letter> and HDMI output are all tipoffs that iTV is intended for HD. There aren't that many HDMI inputs on most display devices and you sure don't want to burn one for a SD device when component will do. You can get by with 802.11G for current rez playback even if N is better. The newer 802.11G routers are MIMO as well.



    By showing the device in this state its a nudge nudge wink wink that iTV will be HD and so will the iTS. If not, the lack or presence of a hard drive will hardly matter much if they fail to be HD.



    There are no inputs on the device so its not going to be a PVR. The form factor is too small to want it to store your video collection (ie work without a PC or Mac). For temp storage and buffering might be nice but if you're tethered to iTunes on a PC/Mac anyway there's a perfectly good hard drive there.



    The easy work around is to stack it with one of the external drives the Mini uses...but really...why is it Apple's interest to untether it from a computer if hopefully you decide that the Mini is the best computer to stack it with?



    Vinea



    Of course this shouls be ready for HD,. But HDMI can be used for SD as well of course.



    what I menat was that they should let us know what this thing really is. does it have a HD? does it have a cpu of some note? What about the graphics processor, if any.



    No reason to keep this secret. There isn't the time for anyone to copy it.
  • Reply 100 of 211
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,033member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcstewart38


    Yaaaayyyy Time to check our facts!



    http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...src=rss&rpc=22



    From the article:



    LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Wal-Mart Stores Inc. on Friday said it was not trying to dissuade movie studios from working with other forms of distribution, such as Apple Computer Inc.'s iTunes download service.



    The New York Post reported Friday that the world's largest retailer has warned Hollywood it may retaliate against studios for selling movies on iTunes, a move that could hurt Wal-Mart's DVD sales. "The Post story appears to be a rehashing of the misinformation that's been printed previously," a Wal-Mart spokeswoman said in a statement.



    What WalMart had said was they wanted the same price as being offered to itunes for its DVD's.



    It didn't want Apple to sell movies for less than it could sell the DVD itself.



    Of course, Walmart sells tunes for $0.89, and it has been a failure. So price isn't everything. I think it knows that now. But it still doesn't want to take the chance.
Sign In or Register to comment.