Intel Developer Forum to host two Apple sessions

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Intel Corp. has announced that it will host two Apple-focused sessions as part of its fall Intel Developer Forum next week.

The move comes just one day after AMD chief executive Hector Ruiz asserted that Apple would eventually become one of its customers in order to offer consumers a choice in the microprocessors that come inside their Macs.

At a dinner speech in California, Ruiz charged Intel with stifling the PC industry's growth and holding its partners "hostage" in the processes.

InfoWorld, which was first to point out the new Apple developer sessions, said it sees the move as a long overdue endorsement of the Mac maker by Intel.

According to Intel's developer site, Simon Patience, a VP of Core OS Software Engineering at Apple, will host a session titled "Mac OS X Overview: Performance OS for a Performance Processor."

"Mac OS X is designed from its BSD roots to its industry-leading UI to take full advantage of the features that Intel Core microarchitecture provides," reads the session description. "Learn how Mac OS X uses symmetric multiprocessing, multi-core threading, 64 bit memory spaces, power management, and other Intel Core microarchitecture enhancements to build a rock-solid, high performance foundation for the most innovative applications in computing."

Meanwhile, JohnÂ*Gelensye, Apple's Software Technology Evangelism lead, will present a session titled "Creating Applications on Mac OS X: Power at Your Fingertips."

During this session, developers can "learn from Apple pros how to create and manage projects in Xcode, Apples comprehensive IDE, including using the Intel C++ Compiler for Mac OS and Intel Fortran Compiler for Mac OS."

The fall Intel Developer Forum will run September 26-28 at the Moscone Center West in San Francisco, Calif.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    But the big question remains -- is intel adding Objective-C to their compiler? C++ won't cut it for compiling OS X itself, any of the iApps, or most of the newer apps.

If we could get the Intel compiler to process Objective-C code, then according to conventional wisdom which says the Intel compiler generates kickass x86 code including very good auto-vectorization, that would be a great thing.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:

Intel Fortran Compiler for Mac OS

Great! Now I'll be able to run my programs on alchemy, the geocentric universe and phlogiston dynamics!

Now here's a message:

Code:

[intel add:objectiveC

or: prepareToFace

consequences: [NSArray arrayWithObjects: irrelevancy, failure, doom, nil]];

• Reply 3 of 12
    Since when has the PC industry needed anyone to help it stifle its own growth?
  • Reply 4 of 12

Yikes, I just soiled myself!

Wet dreams DO cum true!

Intel C++ and Fortran compilers for Mac OS X. iSweet!

Fortran

C++

For me the Fortran compiler is the really interesting part, I've been using Intel's compiler for 23 years now! Actually Intel bought the HP/Compaq/DEC Visual Fortran (2004, I believe), prior to that it was a VAX Fortran compiler, coded on microVAX'es (which came just after the PDP11) for about 10 years. I've used Visual Fortran for the past 10 years (or so). I have a copy of Intel's XP Visual Fortran, but haven't had an urgent need to use it YET!

The Intel web pages says that UB can be generated, don't exactly know what this means WRT Fortran code on a PowerPC though? Or in general OS X GUI's?

I give Intel 2 thumbs up!

• Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by franksargent

For me the Fortran compiler is the really interesting part, I've been using Intel's compiler for 23 years now! Actually Intel bought the HP/Compaq/DEC Visual Fortran (2004, I believe), prior to that it was a VAX Fortran compiler, coded on microVAX'es (which came just after the PDP11) for about 10 years. I've used Visual Fortran for the past 10 years (or so). I have a copy of Intel's XP Visual Fortran, but haven't had an urgent need to use it YET!

Oh wow, Intel's Fortran compiler is VAX Fortran? I think I have the docs for that. I know I have the RSX-11M Fortran docs.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Speaking of VAX, just throwing this out here...

Anybody in the market for a VAX 6000-420?

LOL. Yeah, seriously.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [alloc init]

Oh wow, Intel's Fortran compiler is VAX Fortran? I think I have the docs for that. I know I have the RSX-11M Fortran docs.

Yup! The docs for VF 5.0 looked almost exactly like the VAX Fortran docs (if my memory serves me correctly). VF 5.0 was released in March 1997, after MS gave up on their POS Fortran compiler (PowerStation 4.0), the MS Fortran compiler really, Really, REALLY sucked!

Gosh, that was so long ago, VMS (CISC) was such a dog compared to RISC workstations, a lot of water went under that bridge! Didn't consider MS DOS/Windows a serious OS until Windows for Workgroups 3.11. Prior to that it was the BSOD OS, majorly!

Maybe with the release of Vista in '07, MS can finally give Mac OS X some competition!

• Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

Gosh, that was so long ago, VMS (CISC) was such a dog compared to RISC workstations, a lot of water went under that bridge! Didn't consider MS DOS/Windows a serious OS until Windows for Workgroups 3.11. Prior to that it was the BSOD OS, majorly!

I was still a kiddo back then. I had a Tandy 1000 SL/2 and my mother had a Mac. I have amassed *way* too much cool gear over the years, though. Mostly smaller PDP-11 stuff, some VAX and a sprinkling of Data General. The bookcase here in my office has at least a dozen DEC handbooks, from the 73-74 PDP-11 Peripheral Handbook, up through late 80s VAX stuff.

Quote:

Maybe with the release of Vista in '07, MS can finally give Mac OS X some competition!

It's interesting to me, in a way we've come full circle. On the one hand we have UNIX-derived Mac OS X. On the other, VMS-inspired NT/Vista. Same platforms, new battle, new century. Oversimplified for effect

I think the thing that makes me feel the best about where we're at on Mac OS X right now, and this is really accentuated when you look at Vista, is that we have a really solid foundation underneath our feet. Apple has done a phenomenal job of improving and refining OS X since it was first released.

Tiger was such an important release, in every respect. It's interesting looking at Vista, where it can be tempting to think we're witnessing the NT code-base being stretched pretty thin. I just have a lot of confidence in the platform right now. I feel like it can take us where Apple and third-party developers want to go. We have an exceptionally strong foundation on which to build and continue to refine.

Where Vista seems to me like the end of a long and arduous journey, I feel like Mac OS X is in the exact opposite position. We're just getting started, and it feels GREAT!
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

Speaking of VAX, just throwing this out here...

Anybody in the market for a VAX 6000-420?

LOL. Yeah, seriously.

/looks around. wonders is this appleinsider.com?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Yikes, I just soiled myself!

Wet dreams DO cum true!

Intel C++ and Fortran compilers for Mac OS X. iSweet!

Fortran

C++

The Intel web pages says that UB can be generated, don't exactly know what this means WRT Fortran code on a PowerPC though? Or in general OS X GUI's?

I give Intel 2 thumbs up!

Is the Fortran market any good?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts

Is the Fortran market any good?

No, not for mainstream or GUI development.

But, in science and engineering it IS the Microsoft of compilers!

Heck, the C community didn't standardize on complex numbers until 1999!

Fortran was updated in 2003, and will be updated again in 2008.

It has everything to do with portability (i. e. CLI), standardization, 64-bit computing (i. e. supercomputing going back to the early 1970's), and a COMPLETE set of higher level mathematical instructions (i. e. transcendentals, matrix, parallel, and multiprocessing) in the 64-bit space.

So when all you desktop fanbois talk-the-talk about 64-bits, vectorization, and multi-core computing, Fortran fanbois have been walking-the-walk for over 30 years now!

The_legacy_of_FORTRAN

Foxy Lady

Standardization IS the Eli Whitney of Computing!

So enough about the trickle DOWN (i. e. golden showers) theory of computing!

Any more questions?

• Reply 12 of 12
    I'll be at IDF in booth 221. I'm not sure what dates these sessions are being held, but I can help you get a free pass for Thursday, Sept 28 for the exhibits 8) :

Go to: http://www.cplan.com/idffall06/USA/r...tion_attendee/

Select your level of attendance = ?Sponsor/Exhibitors and Vendor?

Question 4: Please select your pass = Select ?Sponsor/Exhibitor Thursday Showcase ONLY pass?

Question 5: Please enter your priority code here = Enter ?SCACOMP?

Regards -

Scott