Aperture 1.5 released as free download

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

Not according to the system requirements. I have no clue why the Mac Pro is says it needs 2GB.

Well, it definately _WILL_ work, you just might have to do some cajoling (but probably not).

Also, didn't you bring this up before and weren't you told the same thing?
  • Reply 22 of 35
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Sometimes Apple, as other companies do, state higher requirements to account for performance. I haven't downloaded the 1.5 update yet, but the older versions require a lot of memory for best performance. I tried it on my dual 2GHz G5. With all but 1GB of memory taken out, it was SLOWWW. When I put the other 3GB back in, it ran more than a bit faster.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

Well, it definately _WILL_ work, you just might have to do some cajoling (but probably not).

Also, didn't you bring this up before and weren't you told the same thing?

Yes, I did...

BUT...

that was with Aperture 1.1
  • Reply 24 of 35
    godriflegodrifle Posts: 267member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Apple Computer on Friday released the free update to its post-production photography workflow application which was announced earlier this week.

Aperture 1.5 delivers more than 20 new and enhanced features that improve file management, metadata handling, and image adjustment, the company said.

The update, which requires that users first install today's Mac OS X 10.4.8 Update, also addresses numerous issues related to overall reliability, performance, and compatibility.

A list of specific new features in Aperture 1.5 includes:

Choose how you'd like to store images: copy them into a managed Aperture Library or store them on hard drives, network volumes, or CD/DVDs and have Aperture import them in place, creating a "reference" to their physical location while acquiring them for use in Aperture.

Browse albums, Smart Albums, or your entire Aperture Library using the Media Browser in iLife '06 and iWork '06 applications.

Generate industry-standard XMP sidecar files containing all metadata when exporting master images; or batch export metadata as a tab-delimited text file.

Precisely adjust hue, saturation, and luminance on a color-by-color basis using the red, yellow, green, cyan, blue, and magenta controls in the new Color tool.

Hone sharpness with the new, luminance-based Edge Sharpen tool, which offers precise control and a three-pass algorithm.

Create Metadata Presets to speed the assignment of any combination of metadata, eliminating errors and redundant typing.

Use onscreen controls on the new Loupe to dial in magnification (100- to 1600%), select focus mode (follow Loupe or follow cursor), control Loupe size, and turn on/off display of Color values.

Manage images (both copied and referenced) using new file-management tool for relocating and checking status of images in your Library.

How about an accurate headline, such as "Aperature 1.5 a free upgrade"
  • Reply 25 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by godrifle

How about an accurate headline, such as "Aperature 1.5 a free upgrade"

Sir, I think quite a few people have already hit the nail on the head with the hammer at this point. Give it a rest.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    Quote:

Yes, I did...

BUT...

that was with Aperture 1.1

On the one hand, I feel sorry for you that nobody will give you a straightforward answer. Yes, it might work, but you really want someone who has a Mac Pro to answer the question definitively. (Alas, I have but a Power Mac G5 with 3.5 GB RAM)

On the other hand, I cannot fathom why anyone would buy a Mac Pro with only 1 GB of RAM. Every application that would justify buying a Mac Pro--Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro, Aperture--would definitely run much, much better with 2-4 GB of RAM.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bikertwin

On the other hand, I cannot fathom why anyone would buy a Mac Pro with only 1 GB of RAM. Every application that would justify buying a Mac Pro--Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro, Aperture--would definitely run much, much better with 2-4 GB of RAM.

Hopefully, it's a temporary step towards buying cheaper RAM from some other reliable supplier. I can't imaging buying one of these without more RAM.

But, I'll likely get two 1GB sicks from Apple, and the rest somewhere else.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

Hopefully, it's a temporary step towards buying cheaper RAM from some other reliable supplier. I can't imaging buying one of these without more RAM.

But, I'll likely get two 1GB sicks from Apple, and the rest somewhere else.

Yes. I went for a 500 GB HD for supporting video editting and the increase file size of shooting in RAW, and I got the ATI video card for Aperture performance. Apple's RAM is the only of the three that is signifficantly cheaper elsewhere. I wasn't going to get another GB extra for a while though.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    This is the interfact that apple really needs for Aperture. This would turn it into a REAL lightbox. I think that Apple has patents on multiple simultanious input touchscreens.

http://ted.com/tedtalks/tedtalksplay...flashEnabled=1
  • Reply 30 of 35
    Quote:

Sir, I think quite a few people have already hit the nail on the head with the hammer at this point. Give it a rest.

What are you, the thought police? I'll post as I see fit, umkay?
  • Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:

Yes. I went for a 500 GB HD for supporting video editting and the increase file size of shooting in RAW, and I got the ATI video card for Aperture performance. Apple's RAM is the only of the three that is signifficantly cheaper elsewhere. I wasn't going to get another GB extra for a while though.

I get enough RAM from Apple to run my programs at a good speed. Now, that means 2GB. Especially if you need Rosetta. That has been shown to run much better under 2GB.

MacWorld just did some tests that show that at least under certain circumstances, 2GB is again much faster. Particularly if you use four sticks.

http://www.macworld.com/2006/10/feat...omem/index.php

I like to buy that much from Apple, because if there is a problem, I can remove the third party RAM, to test if that is a problem (sometimes it is), while still having enough to not slow the machine down on most work.

If you call Apple, or take your machine in, the first thing they ask, is that you remove all third party RAM.

I want to know if the machine is responding properly without it first.

It's worth the extra cost for that extra 1GB.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by godrifle

What are you, the thought police? I'll post as I see fit, umkay?

Well, yes you CAN post anything you want...

but

If it is not contributing to the discussion you should just leave it out. Thats what generally makes a forum good or bad: a lot of relevant meaningful posts vs a lot of redundant posts that move the conversation know where.

Quote:

I get enough RAM from Apple to run my programs at a good speed. Now, that means 2GB. Especially if you need Rosetta. That has been shown to run much better under 2GB.

MacWorld just did some tests that show that at least under certain circumstances, 2GB is again much faster. Particularly if you use four såticks.

http://www.macworld.com/2006/10/feat...omem/index.php

I like to buy that much from Apple, because if there is a problem, I can remove the third party RAM, to test if that is a problem (sometimes it is), while still having enough to not slow the machine down on most work.

If you call Apple, or take your machine in, the first thing they ask, is that you remove all third party RAM.

I want to know if the machine is responding properly without it first.

It's worth the extra cost for that extra 1GB.

I know I SHOULD get an extra 1GB (and I plan on doing so). Where can I get reliable but cheapish RAM?
  • Reply 33 of 35
    Quote:

Well, yes you CAN post anything you want...

but

If it is not contributing to the discussion you should just leave it out. Thats what generally makes a forum good or bad: a lot of relevant meaningful posts vs a lot of redundant posts that move the conversation know where.

I know I SHOULD get an extra 1GB (and I plan on doing so). Where can I get reliable but cheapish RAM?

This RAM isn't cheapish no matter where you go, but:

http://www.transintl.com/store/categ...estTimeOut=500
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Quote:

This RAM isn't cheapish no matter where you go, but:

http://www.transintl.com/store/categ...estTimeOut=500

I'm looking for 2 more 512 sticks. The link about starts at 2x1GB
  • Reply 35 of 35
    Quote:

I'm looking for 2 more 512 sticks. The link about starts at 2x1GB

Sorry. I didn't notice. Try this page. It's the third group.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Mac-Pro-Memory