Apple's second-gen iPod nano off to slow start?

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 76
    Those curved edges are so feminine! I want my nano to have sharp right-angles!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella

The new nanos correct everything that was wrong with the 1st gen nanos and add the color that made the minis a hit.

Seriously, it was great to see the Mini colors back--I almost bought a Mini when the Nano came out but decided that a hard drive wasn't something *I* wanted to move around while it was running. And I really wanted an 8G Nano--I often buy more than 12 CDs at a time, but almost never more than24. So I was pretty excited by the new models, until I actually tried to buy the 8G Nano in the color I wanted. Bleah.

~ Kiran <[email protected]>
  • Reply 62 of 76
    It's obvious really.

Unless Apple release a Nano that:
    • Is the size of the shuffle but with a virtual click wheel

• Can hold AT LEAST 80 GB

• Play movies and games

• Connects to your TV and plays HD content

• Includes Wi-Fi AND an EV-DO type wireless data connection

• Doubles as a remote for Front Row

• Is in a Titanium or Platinum enclosure

• Costs less than $99 USD

• Has a 60 hour battery life and charges in 20 minutes to full

Then Apple are doomed.

Simple as that.

Seriously. I went out and bought the first Gen Nano and was fairly happy with it... didn't really like the way it scratched but I did like the stainless steel back plate... loved the colour and brightness of the screen and I even liked the packaging.

The the 2nd Gen Nano came out. I sold my first Gen Nano and picked up a 4 GB 2nd Gen in green. I can't fault this unit at all. It's been perfect since day 1. It's robust, it's new casing is virtually scratchproof, the screen is almost as tough as the original mini's and the extra storage space for the same price is excellent.

Every iteration of the iPod family has gotten more and more refined. And that's the problem. Every time Apple release a new product, the punters expect it to be ground-breaking/industry changing and that's just not a realistic expectation.

As for these idiots that call themselves analysts, I doubt that they could analyse their way out of a wet paper bag to be honest... and the really horrific part is that their blathering has an effect on the share price!
  • Reply 63 of 76
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deckard
    • Is the size of the shuffle but with a virtual click wheel

• Can hold AT LEAST 80 GB

• Play movies and games

• Connects to your TV and plays HD content

• Includes Wi-Fi AND an EV-DO type wireless data connection

• Doubles as a remote for Front Row

• Is in a Titanium or Platinum enclosure

• Costs less than $99 USD

• Has a 60 hour battery life and charges in 20 minutes to full

Even then, most of the world will hold out for the iPod Inviso.
  • Reply 64 of 76
    Took my sister to the Apple store to get her a 2 gig "Stripper Pink" nano, and they didnt have any. WTF?

Shes deciding what she wants now. Running XP, WMP, and Ruckus it almost seems like a plays for sure mp3 player would be better. Had there been a 2 gig "stripper pink" she'd a bought it just for the color.

Im happy with the colors, just I think every color in every size. And they were just relesed, give it some time. If they are in stock this holiday season, im sure they will make a fair bit of money off ipods.
  • Reply 65 of 76
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    So let's see. Apple discontinues iPod mini, there are cries of despair at the loss of aluminum enclosure and colors, puzzlement at how Apple could drop their best selling Ipod.

Apple introduces Nano, there is a fierce flood tide of bitching about how easily they scratch. However, it sells like hotcakes.

Barely one year later, Apple updates Nano to embrace best of Mini and Nano, with colored aluminum enclosures that don't scratch, brighter screen, longer battery life, better navigation, improved ergonomics on the click wheel and improved ear buds. Oh, and price cuts.

And this is "meh" because it's not some kind of bolt from the blue game-changing death star?

Jeeze, people, you've really gotten spoiled.

Puts me in mind of how, after years of teeth gnashing and wailing about IBM/Motorola's glacial schedule of chip speed increments, we get Intel and their breakneck pace and suddenly it's: "I want my Core 2 Duo Mac Book Pro NOW! Apple is dragging their feet! How can I work under these conditions!"

Apple can't change your life every time they release an updated product, kids.
  • Reply 66 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

Way to totally ignore the several posts that have outlined how much more usable a flash-based device can be vs. an HDD one.

(I've got an 80 gig HDD iPod, in case you're wondering)

i've had 5 ipods, 3 hdd based, 2 flash based. i know their strenghts and weaknesses too. for example, if your ipod accidentally gets wet, with flash based players at least you have a better chance of having them survive. happened to my shuffle.
  • Reply 67 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun

Yes, but the flash memory used in the nano is considerably more expensive than the hard-drive memory in the 30gb iPod.

You are paying for form factor and non-moving parts..

yes, i am aware of the technology behind it. i was just making a point that the nano is not going to look like a good deal if you're only looking at how much you pay per gigabyte. but that's not the reason people buy nanos.
  • Reply 68 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

Radio is a mature technology, and its prominence may be fading, but things like portable audio file players have a long way to catch up. For one, radio audience is fading by about one percent per year or less, and it's probably still at 90% that listen at least occasionally. It looks like a majority of people listen to some radio every day.

and, at least how i see it, radio comes in handy if you ever want to use your mp3 player to listen to news or weather forecasts or something like that.

also, when you're traveling it is nice to tune into the local stations.

of course, having sirius or xm on your mp3 player would be nice too but i'm not counting on that anytime soon, at least with ipods.
  • Reply 69 of 76
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by evansls

This kind of article sounds so familiar, I had to dig up AppleInsider's previous article when the first generation ipod nano's went on sale. Here's their September 2005 on the very same subject: http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1270

Evan

LOL!!!!! gj evan!
  • Reply 70 of 76
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by evansls

This kind of article sounds so familiar, I had to dig up AppleInsider's previous article when the first generation ipod nano's went on sale. Here's their September 2005 on the very same subject: http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1270

Evan

Topic owned.
  • Reply 71 of 76
    jamezogjamezog Posts: 163member
    so have any of you guys seen ads for the 2nd gen nano in retail stores yet? I'm still seeing 1st gen. That could explain why sales haven't picked up just yet. Or did Apple just dump all of their remaining nano inventory on us Canucks??
  • Reply 72 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

for example, the black 8GB nano costs the same as the 30GB ipod.

But that wasn't always the case. Before the recent update, you could get a nano for half the price of a 30. It's not just fashion, size, price, and reliability are very important as well.
  • Reply 73 of 76
    Speaking strictly for myself, I much prefer these new NANOs not only because the scratch issue has been addressed but also because I actually like these colors. Here's why I haven't bought one:

My current iPod is a 6GB green Mini. In order to get a green Nano, I'd actually lose capacity. Maybe when Apple offers a higher capacity in colors (i.e. not just black) I'll bite.
  • Reply 74 of 76
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Pink it's my new obsession

Pink it's not even a question,

Pink on the lips of your lover, 'cause

Pink is the love you discover

Pink as the bing on your cherry

Pink 'cause you are so very

Pink it's the color of passion

'Cause today it just goes with the fashion

Pink it was love at first sight

Pink when I turn out the light

Pink gets me high as a kite

Pink it's like red but not quite

8)
  • Reply 75 of 76
    ah, aerosmith. do they have a new album out yet?
  • Reply 76 of 76
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Well, my Black One goes back to Apple...

It makes a whining sound when it's active and that gets pretty annoying after a while.

But they'll send me another one to replace it.