FTP and OSX

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    pepsipepsi Posts: 55member
    Captain FTP.

I used transmit in OS9, it was great

the beta for X is lacking in areas..if they would release a new version of the Beta i would try it out again, inthe meantime "captain" is working out pretty well.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    Seeing as this is a Software discussion and not about Mac OS X in general -- I'm moving it to Software.

Oh, and I use and recommend Captain FTP also. I used Transmit in OS9, but it just isn't up to snuff with Jaguar. Too crashy and still no full support for long file names.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    From what I see people are saying that you can FTp through the Finder, but you have to enter server ID, your ID and Your password. Is there a way to make a shortcut to this, like in fetch. All I do in fetch is pick the shortcut and I'm on. Anybody know if you can do this.

[ 08-16-2002: Message edited by: dage007 ]</p>
  • Reply 24 of 39
    **Important note** The FTP in the Finder is still severely broken in several ways. I strongly recommend you not rely on it for full-time use quite yet.

That said, if you mount an FTP server in the Finder using the following syntax and then make an alias of it, you can then use that alias to connect whenever you want without having to reenter the login/pass.

<a href="ftp://login[email protected]/" target="_blank">ftp://login[email protected]/</a>
  • Reply 25 of 39
    How 'bout an FTP client that does "resume download" after you've partially downloaded a file. Are there any that do this for OSX?
  • Reply 26 of 39
    Transmit allows resumable transfers up and down. Captain FTP does neither.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

Transmit allows resumable transfers up and down. Captain FTP does neither.<hr></blockquote>

D'oh! I stare at that "Resume" button everyday.

It sucks getting old. Much thankfulness.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    I've never had a problem with fetch. It has been my ftp prog of choice for 4 years.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    osXigen?
  • Reply 30 of 39
    [quote]Originally posted by badtz:

<strong>osXigen?</strong><hr></blockquote>I tried i a few months ago and hated it. The interface just rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe I'll try again later and give you my impressions.

Personally, I think RBrowser has a bad interface too. It tries to look like the Finder but gets all the functionality, mouse behaviors, and keyboard shortcuts messed up.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    ncftp from the CLI is the shit, y'all. But Finder FTP is also cool.

On the same sort-of topic, the FTP server in X.2 is busted-arse (grumble grumble)
  • Reply 32 of 39
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    Gotta say, I too have had no problems with Fetch.

It just works.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    how do you do FTP stuff using the terminal?
  • Reply 34 of 39
    r3dx0rr3dx0r Posts: 201member
    [quote]Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2:

<strong>how do you do FTP stuff using the terminal?</strong><hr></blockquote>

ftp ftp.apple.com

then type 'help' for a list of commands or read the manual first
  • Reply 35 of 39
    fobiefobie Posts: 216member
    <a href="http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=11928&db=mac"; target="_blank">ncftp</a> ownz j00
  • Reply 36 of 39
    david rdavid r Posts: 135member
    Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I'm having trouble.

I go to CONNECT TO SERVER and enter <a href="ftp://www.server.com"; target="_blank">ftp://www.server.com</a>; I'm asked for my login and password and I login succesfully.

But for some reason I cannot rename/delete/upload anything.

Now, this is my own *nix server. I know it's set up correctly. I know I'm logging in correctly. But OS X won't let me do anything in there. The pen with the line across it shows up in the upper left of the finder window. I hope this makes sense.

I can open a terminal window and FTP and manage my files manually without a problem.

Any ideas?
  • Reply 37 of 39
    [quote]Originally posted by David R:

<strong>But for some reason I cannot rename/delete/upload anything.</strong><hr></blockquote>I've explained this a hundred times across a dozen threads since the seeds of 10.2 came out.

The FTP implementation in the Finder is broken in MANY ways in 6C115. That's why there was there was so much confusion about if it was the GM -- because people didn't think Apple would ship with such an important new feature broken in the Gold Master, final version.

Often times permissions are screwed up, as you noticed. At other times, nothing will show up in the Finder window at all. Hopefully Apple will have a fix for this soon in 10.2.1.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    david rdavid r Posts: 135member
    Well, obviously with 61 posts it would show that I do not read these boards the whole time. But I did see your comment about this feature being "broken"

What I didn't realize is that you really meant non-functional and useless. I'm also surprised Apple would do something like this half-assed.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    Heh, no worries, pal.

Actually, I've read reports of a 10.2.1 that was seeded a while ago that does in fact fix these bugs. It should be released fairly soon.