Apple prepares for Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro ramp

Comments

• Reply 61 of 107
    mzaslovemzaslove Posts: 519member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

As much as I understand your frustration (really, I do; my MacBook Pro's 100 GB drive can be quite limiting), the best I can do is ask you to hold on for a while. Perpendicular storage technology will eventually improve the situation a lot.

Apple isn't, and to my knowledge never has been, in the business of manufacturing or designing hard drives. They can come up with a few new ideas and patent them and license them to manufacturers, but this simply isn't their focus, nor that of most other laptop manufacturers.

Got to agree with you on all of this.

For all the, need more hard disk space in my laptop folks (it isn't Apple's fault):

Anything mission critical like video editing you should be either sitting down at a Mac Pro, or get an external hardrive. There are some really cool ones that light up and glow, LaCie's that have huge storage and don't glow, but lots of drives you can stuff in a bag if it's imperative to be on the move with gi-normous amounts of disk space.

I rough edit some of my theatrical and television stuff on the road when I'm shooting, and I always have external drives for that. Even in the middle of the Chilean desert I could still fire up my trusty LaCie and edit (granted, I was hooked up to my DP's diesel jenny -- but that was cool). Yeah, it would be nice to have tetrabytes of storage small and thin (I got my first PowerBook because it was so thin and sexy, PLEASE don't make them big again), but it's a laptop/notebook, after all.

Time will always make the hard drives have more capacity; but we always want more than is available.
  • Reply 62 of 107
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brian Green

I'm simply suggesting that a form-factor change may be needed in order to provide adequate storage for people who really do need it in their Pro computers.

There aren't that many form factors available for hard drives. The two most common ones are 3.5 inches and 2.5 inches. iPods are the most common devices to use 1.8 inches, and then there's 1-inch ones, such as the iPod mini.

Laptops typically use 2.5-inch drives. Since you want higher capacity, your only choices would be:

A) wait until bigger-capacity 2.5-inch drives exist

B) use 3.5-inch drives

C) create a new standard in between

Apple would receive, rightly so, an awful lot of negative press if they were to go with route C, so if you can't wait, there's only B left, and that happens to be not an option at all; 3.5 inches doesn't sound so much bigger than 2.5 inches, until you take into consideration that they're several times thicker and heavier and don't come with anywhere near the same amount of techniques to preserve energy.

Quote:

The reason I brought up the Wallstreet example to begin with is that with the extra space afforded by the larger enclosure, Apple could implement a RAID setup that would allow for multiple drives to be installed.

I've mentioned the multi-drive option before. However, I believe you're suggesting having multiple drive on top of each other; that, too, is impractical, for heat dissipation reasons. They could only go next to each other, and then you'd deal with a much, much bigger laptop.

In fact, if you're so willing to put up with the additional size, why isn't external storage an option for you?

Quote:

I'll bet you could easily fit three or four across with the extra room, even make them slot loading like the new Mac Pro.

In a laptop? Sheesh!

Quote:

People are always talking about battery life and I can see the need for that, but there are many of us who never use the battery. We simply need mobility so we bring the plugin with us wherever we go.

Then you should simply get an external drive. If putting a power adapter in isn't a problem, then neither is attaching a drive externally.

Quote:

The thing that annoys me is that I came up with that idea in a few minutes and I'd bet Apple engineers never have.

I'd bad that's utter nonsense. There isn't much of an idea to begin with.

Quote:

Why can't we see additional storage options in a larger sized laptop?

Read my posts. It can be done, but it's impractical.

Quote:

I'll also bet the extra room in that enclosure would offer additional cooling for the higher end video cards.

Yes, and at that point, you might as well call it a luggable instead of a laptop and, oh, I dunno, make it even a little thicker and then it starts looking an awful lot like?

?guess what? The iMac. Which, incidentally, already has a 3.5-inch hard drive, with very high capacities, already has faster graphics cards options, and already has less heat problems.
  • Reply 63 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

The iMac. Which, incidentally, already has a 3.5-inch hard drive, with very high capacities, already has faster graphics cards options, and already has less heat problems.

Absolutely. I know a few people who do lug them around (home to work and back) and do some major work on them.

I think if Brian can plug in his laptop, all he needs is a good external. Or, a Mac Pro with little castors on the bottom so it can be rolled around, and an extendable handle, like on luggage, and then hinge the LCD so it folds down: voila! Every thing he asked for. It only took me a second to come up with that, and I KNOW the Apple guys never did.
  • Reply 64 of 107
    mzaslove,

Trust me, I lug around my LaCie 500GB external FW drive now for the storage I need. I do a lot of shoots in far off locations and I need to make sure I get what I want before I head back home, so it's important to import everything in and take a look.

I agree with you that it's nice to have a good thin laptop. I'm not asking for an Alienware or anything. I'm asking for something along the lines of the Wallstreet, obviously stretched a bit for the latest screens. That form factor isn't too big, and it doesn't have to be purchased by people like yourself, when all you're looking for is thin thin thin. The problem is that hard drive space has not kept up with the significant increases in what we store on them. A few years ago people would laugh if I told them that pictures would be 7MB apiece, let's not even get into how much space 1080i footage takes up!

I believe that with all this new technology, laptops simply can't stand behind the "well we'll get more storage eventually" argument, and must increase capacity requirements needed by the "digital lifestyle" we all live these days. We have two processors these days, why not two hard drives? If I had an old camcorder, and a 1 megapixel camera, I'm sure a 120GB hard drive would be spectacular. I don't have those things, I have serious hardware, and the MBP meets all of my needs, aside from one. So while people get their faster video cards, and thinner form factors, those of us that actually need internal storage are simply going to have to look to the bulky external drives. I see it as a complete lack of thinking and innovation on Apple's part for not getting those of us that need additional storage some serious options. I've got the money, I could care less about the money. I want the options. Give me the option for more than one drive in a MBP. Hell, give me three.
  • Reply 65 of 107
    mzaslove,

I'm already the proud owner of a Mac Pro. It's probably not a very good fit in the overhead bin of an airplane though, and not the sort of thing I'd like to see thrown around by the luggage crews. I also have a 2GHz iMac that I've thought seriously about getting a large Pelican case for and travel with it. It may become a necessity.

I currrently do use an external firewire drive for my storage, I just hate to have all the extra chords when I'd rather have an internal hard drive option for more hard drive space.
  • Reply 66 of 107
    Quote:

mzaslove,

I'm already the proud owner of a Mac Pro. It's probably not a very good fit in the overhead bin of an airplane though, and not the sort of thing I'd like to see thrown around by the luggage crews. I also have a 2GHz iMac that I've thought seriously about getting a large Pelican case for and travel with it. It may become a necessity.

I currrently do use an external firewire drive for my storage, I just hate to have all the extra chords when I'd rather have an internal hard drive option for more hard drive space.

I do hear ya on the extra cords, but it sounds like you have all the other stuff you need where you need it. If it is mission critical, though, I'd get a good custom Anvil case for the Mac Pro. That's what everyone around here uses (of course, they also lug their guitars around in those, too, the posers).
  • Reply 67 of 107
    Quote:

mzaslove,

I believe that with all this new technology, laptops simply can't stand behind the "well we'll get more storage eventually" argument, and must increase capacity requirements needed by the "digital lifestyle" we all live these days. We have two processors these days, why not two hard drives? If I had an old camcorder, and a 1 megapixel camera, I'm sure a 120GB hard drive would be spectacular. I don't have those things, I have serious hardware, and the MBP meets all of my needs, aside from one. So while people get their faster video cards, and thinner form factors, those of us that actually need internal storage are simply going to have to look to the bulky external drives. I see it as a complete lack of thinking and innovation on Apple's part for not getting those of us that need additional storage some serious options. I've got the money, I could care less about the money. I want the options. Give me the option for more than one drive in a MBP. Hell, give me three.

Your heart's definitely in the right place on this (and I agree about the care less on the money when you need it for real work attitude) -- but I truly believe Apple has thought through all the scenarios and have made certain choices, and we aren't likely to see that change right now (for many of the reasons other people have pointed out: heat, size, etc.,etc.). I break it down into a.) writing something in a coffee shop (where my laptop looks cool and I don't need external hard drives) and b.) on location and the production company/studio doesn't want to set me up a whole extra editing bay (so I take my external hard drive). My c.) is at home where I can hook the puppy up to major hard drives, use a SideCar for driving 2 19" monitors and then the external video for the 30" (I call this the Mission Control scenario).

But, in the end, it would be cool if everything were better, including more internal hard drive space. But I hear IBM's got some cool ideas coming out.
  • Reply 68 of 107
    mzaslove,

I'm seriously contemplating the option of traveling with either the iMac or the Mac Pro just because of the functionality they provide. As I said before, 120GB is cute for people who don't really need space, but for those of us that do, serious options need to be taken into consideration.

For instance, when I was in Africa filming, I shot, I think it was, just shy of 4000 photos and 3.5 hours of footage in 1080i. I'm not one to get all the way back home only to see that I screwed up my settings (I'm a pro at screwing up, by the way) and need to re-shoot. That's why capacity means everything to me. If I could just walk down the block and take the pics or shoot the footage again, I wouldn't care about the paltry 120GB in my MBP, but fly around the world for a shoot and your perspective changes dramatically, as I'm sure you know.

My next shoot is in Cambodia this December at Angkor Wathttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angkor_Wat. I'll be bringing all my gear with me as well as my external HD. The less gear I have to bring into the field (the less I have to worry about getting muddy) the better. The multiple drives in the MBP are simply a desire of mine. I know that they'll never get decent storage in a MBP when I need it, so I'm just going to have to explore my options. I love the elbow room my 2TB's offer me in my Mac Pro.

The only reason I brought up the storage at all is that I've seen so many improvements in the professional laptop in the past years, yet the one thing I've not seen innovation with is internal storage. It's always a few more GB here and there, but nothing really significant, and that's annoying.
  • Reply 69 of 107
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

I've got the money, I could care less about the money.

I think your piece made sense, and I agree. However you are aware that the correct way to say that is: I couldn't care less.

In other words, you care so little about it, you couldn't care to a lesser extent.

When you say "I could care less about the money". That means you do care, and you could care less. If you could care less, then why don't you?
  • Reply 70 of 107
    Ireland,

Thank you so much for correcting me. I'm so happy I never ended up an English teacher.

You're right, I couldn't care less about the money, I just want serious options.

Mzaslove,

Might you have a link to this juicy IBM goodness you mentioned?
  • Reply 71 of 107
    Quote:

My next shoot is in Cambodia this December at Angkor Wathttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angkor_Wat. I'll be bringing all my gear with me as well as my external HD. The less gear I have to bring into the field (the less I have to worry about getting muddy) the better. The multiple drives in the MBP are simply a desire of mine. I know that they'll never get decent storage in a MBP when I need it, so I'm just going to have to explore my options. I love the elbow room my 2TB's offer me in my Mac Pro.

The only reason I brought up the storage at all is that I've seen so many improvements in the professional laptop in the past years, yet the one thing I've not seen innovation with is internal storage. It's always a few more GB here and there, but nothing really significant, and that's annoying.

I do like the multiple drives idea, I just don't think Apple's gonna do it.

For mud and being in the middle of nowhere (very cool going to Angkor Wat -- always wanted to go) I think you gotta just pack your big guns in something protective and go for it. 2TB's -- there is nothing like it (not to mention more ram in the Mac Pro).

I just don't think Apple's ever going to do an Explorer's Laptop (which, where you go, is what you need) -- heck, the military's probably the only people who make something really solid for those "out of the way" places. I don't think Apple will go back to a 2nd bay you can put an extra drive in (or extra battery, which is what I would like); I think it would ruin the form. Oh, well.

Hope the shoot goes well; sounds like a really fun one.
  • Reply 72 of 107
    Quote:

Might you have a link to this juicy IBM goodness you mentioned?

And, of course, I cannot find the link to the news article. It was some nano-holographic technology they wanted to bring to market in 2010, or something. 100 tetrabytes on a 2.5" platter. I'll keep looking. (I hate when that happens.)
  • Reply 73 of 107
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    OK, what if (in order for Apple to offer some of the new features of the MacBook) used the MacBook enclosure for the Pro version of the notebook? This would give you the removeable hard drive, magnetic latch, graphics card options (like ATi x1600), dual layer DVD burners, and in black? Could anyone here accept the transition away from aluminum for their pro notebook?
  • Reply 74 of 107
    DHagan4755,

I'll keep my MBP thanks, aluminum and all. I am annoyed that the MacBook has features the MBP doesn't. Shouldn't the MBP always have all the features at the higher dollar amount? Perhaps Apple may eventually decide to offer additional features to the MBP, though they don't seem to be rushing or anything to make that happen. While having access to the hard drive is a great thing, having access to a spare hard drive slot is even better.

I can assure you that the moment it happens, this MBP is gone, and I'll drop the money (regardless of how expensive) on a MBP that offers some serious internal storage.
  • Reply 75 of 107
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755

[snip]Could anyone here accept the transition away from aluminum for their pro notebook?

I can.

At least if I am able to get a Black One
  • Reply 76 of 107
    I would actually prefer a black annondized aluminum if I was offered the choice.
  • Reply 77 of 107
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

I think your piece made sense, and I agree. However you are aware that the correct way to say that is: I couldn't care less.

In other words, you care so little about it, you couldn't care to a lesser extent.

When you say "I could care less about the money". That means you do care, and you could care less. If you could care less, then why don't you?

Thank you so much for this. It bugs me no end when I hear "could". It just doesn't make any sense that way people! (Unless of course you're threating: "Oh yeah? Well I could care less what you think!" (in other words, "You'd better be careful, or I will start caring even less about what you think"). But I think we can all agree that that's not what anyone means to say.
  • Reply 78 of 107
    I've read elsewhere that the Core2Duo is cooler than the CoreDuo. Does anyone know just how much cooler they are? I know my MBP actually benefits from the cooling abilities of aluminum. I could see them anodizing aluminum to make the MBP have colors, but I think that would only lessen the visual distinction between pro and consumer models.

One additional thing I'd like to see, as has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread, is a Firewire 800 port.

Perhaps two Firewire 400 ports as well, considering that camcorders use the one FW400 slot to connect to either iMovie or FCP/Express, and yet you also need a FW400 or FW800 to connect your external hard drive. Currently, I have to pack a Firewire hub (and it's accompanying power cord) just to allow the connection of both the camcorder and the external hard drive at the same time. For a pro model, this simply shouldn't be the case. There ought to be enough ports for in-the-field connectivity.
  • Reply 79 of 107
    Quote:

I've read elsewhere that the Core2Duo is cooler than the CoreDuo. Does anyone know just how much cooler they are? I know my MBP actually benefits from the cooling abilities of aluminum. I could see them anodizing aluminum to make the MBP have colors, but I think that would only lessen the visual distinction between pro and consumer models.

One additional thing I'd like to see, as has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread, is a Firewire 800 port.

Perhaps two Firewire 400 ports as well, considering that camcorders use the one FW400 slot to connect to either iMovie or FCP/Express, and yet you also need a FW400 or FW800 to connect your external hard drive. Currently, I have to pack a Firewire hub (and it's accompanying power cord) just to allow the connection of both the camcorder and the external hard drive at the same time. For a pro model, this simply shouldn't be the case. There ought to be enough ports for in-the-field connectivity.

What? How do you use both a camcorder and an external hard drive and not drop a billion frames?
  • Reply 80 of 107
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Currently, I have to pack a Firewire hub (and it's accompanying power cord) just to allow the connection of both the camcorder and the external hard drive at the same time.

What terrible external hard drive doesn't have two FireWire ports?