Proof that there is no god

Comments

• Reply 181 of 233
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Homestar06

I think you're right about that. I don't think God had any intention of deceiving us when He created the universe. If God lies, then He is not God. God cannot lie.

But the more important question is can Satan tell the truth?
  • Reply 182 of 233
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Let me interject and say that really there isn't any such thing as random, just small changes in the conditions in which the experiment or event happens.
  • Reply 183 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celemourn

I hereby declare MarkUK to be slightly addled, and an expert in generating amusing debates and contesting points made by others in ways that tend to strike them silent.

I had to look up addled in the dictionary. , so i thankyou for that.

Mental illness is really a construct of judgement defined from the perspective of your own experiences and education. Infact everyone who has ever done something beyond the norm is displaying signs of mental illness, because it's not a normal state of mind to put in a huge amount of effort, knowing that you will be ridiculed.

Artists, Musicians, poets, writers... theoretical scientists, only ever become someone when they hit upon something unique that they can sell to people who want to buy. Until that time they are ridiculous, and the persuit of the unnatainable goal is not a courageous noble thing, it is a sign of mental illness - because the natural normal thing to do is to seek out the easiest option with the greatest reward. To most people that means earning the most money in the shortest space of time doing as little work as possible so that you can buy the biggest house, have the fastest car, and shag the most beautiful woman you can find. That is actually a normal state of mind.

I wouldn't doubt that the whole of the Scientific realm has been solved by someone, the sheer number of people working on it. Someone has solved the problems, but they're just in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong people and they just fade into ridicule or forget it was too much effort to continue or because the right person wasn't around to buy the idea when they were selling.

But that is the reality of life, most of us amount to nothing, even though under a different set of circumstances the same work or ideas would have made us world famous. Millions of people can play guitar better than most of the signed acts, but were either too ugly, lack ambition, or just not the lucky one. Millions of books have been written that would be multimillion selling blockbusters, but only 1 copy was ever made. A million paintings as good as van gough have been painted, but the artist just wasnt lucky and sold it for 10 bucks to buy some food.

I dont really care about it much. I suppose I could as i've done in the past go off on one and rip homey a new one and convince you all that I know the 'established' science as well as the best of them, i've seen 50 different arguments i could have written an essay refuting each one- but its just too boring - and if you genuinely want to know something, you can quite easily go and find it out for yourself - some people here don't want to know anything - their questions are posed as if to want a debate by pretending that there is an answer you can offer them, but its just a ruse, they're not here to learn anything at all, they dont want a debate, nor are they listening to the answer. Its just a game of posturing that is played to deceive peoples sense of fairness and judgement - im suprised some of the old timers who have gone through all this before still fall for it. frankly there are much better things to do - like solve the riddles of the universe.

Creationism offers nothing - except the chance to go to your grave knowing less than you did when you were born. Why bother? you cant get back those 10 minutes you wasted arguing with them, let them be the ignorant ones - make sure the 10 minutes you spent were doing something worthwhile.
  • Reply 184 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarcUK

I blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah . blah, blah blah blah blah blah .

Mental blah blah blah a blah blah blah blah from blah blah blah blah blah blah blah education. blah blah blah has blah blah blah beyond blah norm is displaying signs blah blah blah , blah blah blah blah normal blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah ridiculed?..

Hey, looks like I hit that one spot on! j/k
  • Reply 185 of 233
    Quote:

But the more important question is can Satan tell the truth?

That's a huge question. He does though. He twists it a little bit and takes it out of context a lot. That's an interesting question to think about. If he can tell the truth, then can he be good? Is he all evil? blah blah blah. That's for another thread, another day. Not one I will participate in.
  • Reply 186 of 233
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

He twists it a little bit and takes it out of context a lot.

Sounds an awful lot like creationist "scientific" evidence against evolution.
  • Reply 187 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shetline

Sounds an awful lot like creationist "scientific" evidence against evolution.

It might be for some. I honestly don't try to twist things so they go my way. I do want to know the truth, just like the rest of us. There is lots of science in the Bible. The Bible explains that the earth is round and the almost infinite number of stars. Many famous scientists were Bible believing christians, such as Issac Newton. We're all after the truth. I'm not in the mood to debate much more. The sarcastic comments and endless attacks wear me out. I'm not downing them in any way, and I still think about each one. They just wear me out.
  • Reply 188 of 233
    Quote:

That's a huge question.

That's a weird way to describe a question...
  • Reply 189 of 233
    Ok, sorry, can't resist one last reply.

A proposal:

Those who believe that evolution is incorrect, and that Creationism is correct, present your SPECIFIC reasons, with as many details as possible, for your current stance as a numbered list, e.g.

1) Some reason.

sub point

2) Another reason.

another sub point.

more sub points.

3) Blah blah blah.

Then, those who support evolution and who oppose creationism will address each point specifically and provide supports for their arguments. Furthurmore, present your SPECIFIC reasons for your current stance as a numbered list, e.g.

1) Some reason.

2) Another reason.

3) Blah blah blah.

Shocking to think about, but this might acutally end up as a productive exercise and stimulate actual DEBATE, rather than the ever so fun, but hardly effective or usefull Flame War. Sound like fun? Homestar06, you're first! And as extra incentive, be aware that there ARE some of us out in the peanut gallery who would like to hear both sides, in detail. Thinking is fun. Figuring out whose arguments hold water and whose do not is even funner.

Instigator
  • Reply 190 of 233
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Do you ever get the feeling, when reading what others have to say, that they're extremely certain about something which you know to be wrong?

What if they're getting the same feeling about you? How do you know who is right?

You can't both be right, so someone must be wrong... Unless of course, logic, being a construct of man, is wrong, and two conflicting realities can exist concurrently. Either that, or it's utterly pointless to argue over this silliness.
  • Reply 191 of 233
    Quote:

That's a huge question. He does though. He twists it a little bit and takes it out of context a lot. That's an interesting question to think about. If he can tell the truth, then can he be good? Is he all evil? blah blah blah. That's for another thread, another day. Not one I will participate in.

well, if God is only permitted to tell the truth, then Satan is more powerful than God if Satan is permitted to tell lies and truth.

Lets make an analogy...

You come to 'life's' crossroads, one path leads to heaven and one path leads to hell. There are two people at this crossroads who you are allowed to ask a question of - obviously the question is to find the path to heaven rather than hell.

The two people are God and Satan, you know not who is who

Can you formulate a question that will allow you to determine which way is the path to heaven knowing that God is going to tell you the truth and Satan will try to trick and deceive you.

It is possible - but only if Satan MUST tell lies - but if the intent of Satan is to deceive you - it is possible that Satan will tell you the truth, but you will still end up in hell.
  • Reply 192 of 233
    Quote:

contesting points made by others in ways that tend to strike them silent.

strike me down now and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine

Quote:

blah blah blah.........

My presence of mind is so great I can turn anyone into a blabbering idiot
  • Reply 193 of 233
    MarcUK,

It's obvious you are into Math and Science, so I'm sure you already know this...

Those beautiful pics that you displayed are NOT random.

Even a "Random Number" generator isn't really random.

Like I said...

I'm sure you already know this, so it makes me wonder why you are

using it as an example.

Regards,

Ocriss
  • Reply 194 of 233
    Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

contesting points made by others in ways that tend to strike them silent.

strike me blah blah blah i will blah blah powerful blah blah blah blah imagine

Quote:

blah blah blah.........

My blah of blah is so blah blah blah blah anyone blah blah blabbering idiot

blah blah blah blah blah
  • Reply 195 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ocriss33324

MarcUK,

It's obvious you are into Math and Science, so I'm sure you already know this...

Those beautiful pics that you displayed are NOT random.

Even a "Random Number" generator isn't really random.

Like I said...

I'm sure you already know this, so it makes me wonder why you are

using it as an example.

Regards,

Ocriss

hehe, shall I do a series of reading comprehension lessons for dummies next time?

• Reply 196 of 233
    Quote:

blah blah blah blah blah

• Reply 197 of 233
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Quote:

You come to 'life's' crossroads, one path leads to heaven and one path leads to hell. There are two people at this crossroads who you are allowed to ask a question of - obviously the question is to find the path to heaven rather than hell.

The two people are God and Satan, you know not who is who

Can you formulate a question that will allow you to determine which way is the path to heaven knowing that God is going to tell you the truth and Satan will try to trick and deceive you.

It is possible - but only if Satan MUST tell lies - but if the intent of Satan is to deceive you - it is possible that Satan will tell you the truth, but you will still end up in hell.

IF one of the people is God and the other Satan, AND God tells the truth and Satan lies, THEN...

Use a simple YES/NO question to determine the road to heaven, thus...

Point to one of the paths and to ask either of the two...

"Would the other man confirm that this was the path to Heaven?"

It is the path to Heaven if, and ONLY if, the man answers "no".
  • Reply 198 of 233
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Man, this debate/flame war is really dragging on a bit...

Mods, MOVE THIS DAMN THREAD ALREADY!

• Reply 199 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MiMac

IF one of the people is God and the other Satan, AND God tells the truth and Satan lies, THEN...

Use a simple YES/NO question to determine the road to heaven, thus...

Point to one of the paths and to ask either of the two...

"Would the other man confirm that this was the path to Heaven?"

It is the path to Heaven if, and ONLY if, the man answers "no".

It only works if Satan can ONLY tell lies - but if Satan can say whatever is 'necessary' to maximize the possibility of you choosing the path to hell, then it is possible that Satan telling the 'truth' would preferable for his agenda to get you to go to hell.

Therefore - it serves no purpose for God to be telling lies also to try to deceive you into taking the path to heaven or to counteract the possibility of Satan telling the deceitful 'truth' - because that makes him as dubious as satan - what is his real intent if he is prepared to use lies and cunning even if his intentions are good?

There is a piece of wisdom to be learned here - This question was put to me as a simple mathmatical problem - and is easily solvable by what is essentially a double negative equalling a positive - but it is flawed in the sense that it leads you to think that it is possible to 'outsmart' satan.

If finding out the truth serves to reinforce our beliefs and keep us on the same path - as finding out a lie would make us question our path and maybe lead to reverse it - then it is perfectly within character of Satan to keep telling us the truth after we have made the wrong decision on which path to follow. In this case, if you unfortunately chose the path to hell at the crossroads, Satan is going to fall over himself not to give us a reason to question this path - which means he is going to tell the truth from herein out, to reinforce our belief that we chose rightly.

In this case telling the truth only serves to cause us more harm and speed up the process of arriving at hell.

The wisdom here is that at all times, one must continually question the path one is on because it is impossible for us to know that the path is the correct one, and impossible for us to outsmart satan.

God, knowing this problem - would have absolutely nothing to fear from people questioning him our their minds - as it would maximise the chance of people realising they were susceptible to being deceived and lead more people to his door.

Satan on the other hand would 'pretend' to have nothing to hide - but would cause us to be arrogant and hubrant in our initial decision, he wouldn't want us to constantly evaluate our initial decision becuase then his agenda could be 'outed' and he would lose souls to God.

Yet, we are told not to question God or his decisions and accept it blindly as his will, and deal with the consequences of it as being part of the sin against ourselves committed by Eve - and whatnot other zombieminded bollocks.

So, where do the evangelicals, fundies, republicans, creationists, islamists, fit theologically into the above 3 paragraphs -

A whole lot of the last two and very little of the first.
  • Reply 200 of 233
    Quote:

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah...

<BLAH>

See, that started out as blah blah, and I didn't see where you were going with it. but it ended very nicely with a solid piece of logic. Still rather blah blah, but I agree with the message. IF god exists, I imagine that he would punish most severely those who made no effort to use the faculty of intelligent discrimination that he gave to them. After all, every religion out there says, "We're right, and everyone else is mistaken!!!" I say, "Why?" They reply, "Because this little black book says so!!!!" So, since everyone has their own little black book, the simple fact that it exists is not sufficient evidence to base your existence on. Neither is tradition, or profound religious emotions. I have had a profound religious emotion while taking a crap. It's called catharsis. It comes in many forms, especially in the theatre.

I cannot trust what is written in your book, because every religion has a book which says precisely what yours says, and which claims to be the truth, and that yours is a lie.

I cannot trust what you say, because practitioners of every religion (almost) say precisely what you say, but claim that they are right and you are not.

I cannot trust my own internal feelings, because the catharsis I feel, the "Gods hand", I have felt in situations totally unrelated to religious thought, some of which are completely contrary to any good religion. Understanding the nature of the human brain, as revealed through our study of it, and realizing that everything that goes through my mind is simply a series of well timed chemical or electrical signals, I realize that it is not prudent to only trust myself.

What then can I trust, in my search for truth? I know that I can be wrong, that I can perceive incorrectly from time to time. So let me base my decision on something which others can also DIRECTLY observe, and DIRECTLY verify. Let me base my beliefs on that which when tested consistently produces the same results, regardless of who does the test. Let me base my beliefs on a hypothesis which COULD be proven false, but which no one has yet been able to disprove. Let me embrace logic and reason, and reject the basest of human emotions: fear, hate, greed, and tribalism. Let me keep my mind active, and reject claims made by those who are too tired to think for themselves about the claims they make. Let me take no one else’s word as the absolute truth, and be rigorous in testing my own conclusions. Let me not fall victim to the wiles of a pretty picture, but rather, let me maintain vigilance against the plethora (yeah, bitches, I just said PLETHORA!! MUHAHAHAHAAA!) of incorrect and unbeneficial ideas and beliefs which constantly assail me.

For you, theist, faith may be enough. If it is, then I wish you happiness and safety in your beliefs. But do not pretend for even one second, that you have any scientific basis for what you believe. Do no pretend, for even one second, that your faith is based on anything other than faith. And, most importantly, do not EVER lie to someone else and try to convince them that there is even the slightest scientific basis for your beliefs. Question your beliefs all you care to. Question our beliefs all you care to. Find GOOD QUESTIONS, and let us all discuss them, and be open to CONSIDERING the answers we provide, asking for clarification in those places which do not make sense. But don't ever try to pretend that you are doing science when you are not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocam%27s_razor

I have no problem with people beliving what they want to. If someone wants to believe in God, that does me (generally speaking) no more harm than if they want to believe in Yetis or Aliens, or the Lach Nes Monster. So long as you do not attempt to inflict yourself upon others, I have no complaint with you. Just remember, at all times,

"JUDGE NOT LEST YE BE JUDGED YOURSELF."

</BLAH>