GPS monitoring on iphone

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by European guy

I thought of another GPS behaviour.

Smart lists.

Imagine that your address book is GPS sensible.It loads on the top of the screen ONLY your most dialed out numbers from that location. Of course there will be a learning period , so that after say, a week, the address book smartly preselects your most called contacts as you move about...

When you're at work , it should learn all your called professional contacts....

As you travel to another place, say home, it begins to move your "home contacts" to the top of the list....

So that in each location you're in , it always shows at the top the GPS tagged contacts from your location....

Is this usefull ? I think so....

I'm still waiting for someone to implement the ultimate dating device. Based on a thorough questionaire that the user would fill out online (or through Apple's iDate section of a future iTunes... ) it would pair you up with affinity groups in your area. As long as the other person enabled a "seek" function (anywhere in public, not at their house, not at their workplace) for likeminded daters, it would provide the seeker with a GPS enabled map to their quarry. You can probably tell I've been thinking about this a lot...
  • Reply 22 of 33
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

I'm still waiting for someone to implement the ultimate dating device. Based on a thorough questionaire that the user would fill out online (or through Apple's iDate section of a future iTunes... ) it would pair you up with affinity groups in your area. As long as the other person enabled a "seek" function (anywhere in public, not at their house, not at their workplace) for likeminded daters, it would provide the seeker with a GPS enabled map to their quarry. You can probably tell I've been thinking about this a lot...

What will that function be called? iDogging?
  • Reply 23 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes

What will that function be called? iDogging?

Mmmm.... saucy!
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Mmmm.... saucy!

iStalking !

Why not buy a Zune and advertise music for exchange ? iDorking !
  • Reply 25 of 33
    What about wifi and cellular with GPS.

Apple would let you know when you are near a wifi spot via GPS and thus save you the trouble of looking fpr one.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    the upcoming Nokia N95 will have GPS... and the absolute kicker is: FREE MAPS

Tom Tom, Garmin, and everyone in the GPS business must be crapping themselves since so much of their revenue comes from selling extra country maps (at least here in Europe..)

However, I love the iStalking feature
  • Reply 27 of 33
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    GPS in a phone is so much more useful than I ever thought it was. When I was living in Japan, my 1 yen phone (1 penny!!!!) had GPS and it was great for getting around and just about everything. Everyone has been talking about location-based services, but Apple and Google would be in a perfect position to do it and do it properly.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TKN

GPS in a phone is so much more useful than I ever thought it was. When I was living in Japan, my 1 yen phone (1 penny!!!!) had GPS and it was great for getting around and just about everything. Everyone has been talking about location-based services, but Apple and Google would be in a perfect position to do it and do it properly.

How come 1 penny seems a bit...or a lot more than a bit...cheap for a GPS cell phone?
  • Reply 29 of 33
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shadow Slayer 26

How come 1 penny seems a bit...or a lot more than a bit...cheap for a GPS cell phone?

I haven't paid even a single Queen's Penny for any phone in the last 5 years. It's the £20 a month contract over the next 12 months that pays for the phone.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    The reason 1 penny is cheap is because the US, by allowing private market determination of technologies to be used has split its networks between competing technologies instead of using the prevalent technologies. Then we also decided to use different frequencies.

So basically we live in a backwater hell of cellphone technology because as far as consumer electronics manufacturing goes for cellphones, we have one company: Motorola. And they aren't interested in pushing technology at all, they just make skinny phones.

So in Japan, a 1 yen phone can have GPS, a nice camera, and messaging and be considered basic. It doesn't have streaming video, a TV tuner or high speed networking, which I could have gotten for maybe $50. The best part being the contract is for only 6 months.

We had a chance with UMTS, but then we chose a different frequency yet again. So we will still be in the backwaters of mobile phones for the foreseeable future and still pay too much for phones and old technology.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TKN

The reason 1 penny is cheap is because the US, by allowing private market determination of technologies to be used has split its networks between competing technologies instead of using the prevalent technologies. Then we also decided to use different frequencies.

So basically we live in a backwater hell of cellphone technology because as far as consumer electronics manufacturing goes for cellphones, we have one company: Motorola. And they aren't interested in pushing technology at all, they just make skinny phones.

So in Japan, a 1 yen phone can have GPS, a nice camera, and messaging and be considered basic. It doesn't have streaming video, a TV tuner or high speed networking, which I could have gotten for maybe $50. The best part being the contract is for only 6 months.

We had a chance with UMTS, but then we chose a different frequency yet again. So we will still be in the backwaters of mobile phones for the foreseeable future and still pay too much for phones and old technology.

I think I'm moving to Japan...or Europe lol Someimes I wonder why we think we (as in most the population of America) think we are years ahead of everyone in terms of technology...

Anyways thanks for explaining.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Yeah check out the phones you can get from Dynamism or their competitor for really slick phones. There's a touch screen credit card sized phone from NEC I'd buy if only it was quad band GSM.

America (and Canada) is pretty much dead last in the developed world for modern mobile technology.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZO

the upcoming Nokia N95 will have GPS... and the absolute kicker is: FREE MAPS

Tom Tom, Garmin, and everyone in the GPS business must be crapping themselves since so much of their revenue comes from selling extra country maps (at least here in Europe..)

However, I love the iStalking feature

The price the Tom Tom makes you pay for maps may be less the DATA BILL you get from downloading the maps on your Nokia N95