Apple's missing "Home on iPod" feature resurfaces in filing

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacCrazy

This Home on iPod feature is unlikely to appear any time soon as the new iPods do not use FireWire and unless I'm mistaken Macs cannot boot from USB.

The whole point of this is so you DON'T have to reboot. Actually, that isn't the whole point but part of it. The point is... you put your home directory on the iPod. Connect the iPod, login and BAM... all of your settings, preferences, mail accounts are there! All of hte files that have to do with YOU as a user are there on any computer you go to. This isn't a new os we are talking about here... it's a portable user. This is awesome. This is how it used to be back in the old days with terminals. There was a central server with all the users and people would go to a terminal and login with that user that is on the server. Now you don't need the server... the iPod will act as the server. Very cool. Very handy. Now you don't need a specific computer at a job. You can use ANY mac that supports this. An OS should be centric to users, not the other way around.

Score 1 for apple on this one guys.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    that's a 12GB home folder for me... better get a new iPod!
  • Reply 23 of 48
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacGregor

Yes, it has been stated here that the iPod harddrives really only have a life span of continuous use that is measured in tens of minutes, though that doesn't entirely make sense since if you had to erase and refill the thing once or twice, that would hit that limit quickly?!

That's not the problem. The hd's have tens of thousands of hours of MTBF. The problem is that using the hd for more than a few minutes at a time drains the battery too much. That's why video use has such a short battery life compared to using music files which are much smaller and are stored in the machines RAM after a burst of reading from the hd. Classical music has the same problem, long lengths drains the battery as the hd is used much more. The device simply wasn't designed,from a battery life aspect to be used as a portable hd.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    Unless you wanted to share your system and application preferences between computers, I don't understand why anyone would need this. FTP works just as well if you are intent on sharing files from your home folder between computers.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Oh that makes sense I suppose - when I originally heard about Home On iPod (pre-Panther) it was about booting.

Another reason this may have been dropped is the low speed of the iPod harddrives. This would reduce your Mac to below 4200RPM. It is a nice idea though.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    I don't suppose they have solved the problem of having extensions that you need in /Library, or the bigger problem of applications that you need. They would need to somehow kludge up a place to store these things in addition to the contents of your Home folder. And if you do have extensions or Preference Panes that you need, then you need a reboot too. For example, I need USB Overdrive or the mouse tracking speed is so slow it drives me insane. If I had my Home folder on the iPod, and plugged it into some random machine, I wouldn't have USB Overdrive. Or Script Debugger.

So it seems this is mainly for transporting data that use only the standard Apple apps.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy

I don't suppose they have solved the problem of having extensions that you need in /Library, or the bigger problem of applications that you need. They would need to somehow kludge up a place to store these things in addition to the contents of your Home folder. And if you do have extensions or Preference Panes that you need, then you need a reboot too. For example, I need USB Overdrive or the mouse tracking speed is so slow it drives me insane. If I had my Home folder on the iPod, and plugged it into some random machine, I wouldn't have USB Overdrive. Or Script Debugger.

I suppose it would be pretty hard to do fix-ups such that it would work the way you'd like. I do agree on the USB Overdrive. Without it, it messes me up because it would make me think that my hand is numb and unresponsive. I don't even know how Apple can expect anyone use their HD displays with mouse acceleration choices seemingly designed for VGA resolutions.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    My Home folder is over 60 GB. I agree with some people on this thread. Another OS X feature I probably won't use.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K.

My Home folder is over 60 GB. I agree with some people on this thread. Another OS X feature I probably won't use.

So is mine. That is why I have a 100 GB FireLite drive to back it up onto and to sync between my home and office computers. This feature would make my life a lot easier. It is the first feature that has me looking forward to Leopard.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JBL

So is mine. That is why I have a 100 GB FireLite drive to back it up onto and to sync between my home and office computers. This feature would make my life a lot easier. It is the first feature that has me looking forward to Leopard.

Keep in mind that it hasn't been confirmed. This patent too four years to come to light. It may just be an abandoned idea. And now, unfortunately, Apple owns it, so no one else can implement it without paying them. I'm not sure if this is a legitimately patentable idea, but you can say that about many patents these days.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    This is part of Leopard, but it requires that the Mac is bound to the same Open Directory that the user account exists in.

It's Portable Home Directory Extreme

Unfortunately it's useless to most Mac users.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

I suppose it would be pretty hard to do fix-ups such that it would work the way you'd like. I do agree on the USB Overdrive. Without it, it messes me up because it would make me think that my hand is numb and unresponsive. I don't even know how Apple can expect anyone use their HD displays with mouse acceleration choices seemingly designed for VGA resolutions.

Wouldn't it be a hoot if it turned out that a survey of shoppers to the Apple Stores revealed that the #1 reason non-buyers gave for not purchasing a Mac was that the mouse cursor didn't move fast enough? LOL

Ever since OS X DP3 I have been amazed at how Apple hasn't increased the maximum mouse tracking setting. How anyone can use it the way it comes out of the box is beyond me.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    Quote:

Wouldn't it be a hoot if it turned out that a survey of shoppers to the Apple Stores revealed that the #1 reason non-buyers gave for not purchasing a Mac was that the mouse cursor didn't move fast enough? LOL

Ever since OS X DP3 I have been amazed at how Apple hasn't increased the maximum mouse tracking setting. How anyone can use it the way it comes out of the box is beyond me.

Good point. I can't tell you how many new-to-Mac users at the University where I supply tech support have complained about that, not having any clue that it can be adjusted.

Then there's the whole right-click disabled thing... The last thing the "enterprise" wants is to spend needless cycles turning on features that are expected by the mass of users out there (and let's face it, the mass is entirely populated by new and potential converts).
  • Reply 34 of 48
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    This is a great feature and should be reenabled.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

That's not the problem. The hd's have tens of thousands of hours of MTBF. The problem is that using the hd for more than a few minutes at a time drains the battery too much. That's why video use has such a short battery life compared to using music files which are much smaller and are stored in the machines RAM after a burst of reading from the hd. Classical music has the same problem, long lengths drains the battery as the hd is used much more. The device simply wasn't designed,from a battery life aspect to be used as a portable hd.

Good! I was concerned that there was some physical limitations to the hd itself.

As for this added functionality, I really want the ability to carry a few files, one or two apps (like Keynote) and the appropriate Library files and prefs. If melgross it correct then, as long as the iPod is getting power, there is no problem with using it as an external hd, so power consumption shouldn't be an issue most of the time. THAT is where FW means fewer cords and I hope Apple reconsiders this.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    -cj--cj- Posts: 58member
    This seems like it could be useful. Especially without a .Mac account. But doesn't the home folder host most people's Music Library? So moving the home folder to your iPod would essentially be carrying around your music, twice. I suppose you could have iTunes access your music library from a different location, which would surely decrease the size of large Home folders. And taking my mail settings to work is great, if work doesn't have a firewall preventing me from accessing a different mail server.

I'm sure there's some benefit to this feature and will help some folks. I think it would require some reconfiguring on my own settings but could prove useful.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by godrifle

Good point. I can't tell you how many new-to-Mac users at the University where I supply tech support have complained about that, not having any clue that it can be adjusted.

Then there's the whole right-click disabled thing... The last thing the "enterprise" wants is to spend needless cycles turning on features that are expected by the mass of users out there (and let's face it, the mass is entirely populated by new and potential converts).

Right-click is disabled? I wouldn't know since I install USB O immediately. When did this happen?
  • Reply 38 of 48
    Quote:

Right-click is disabled? I wouldn't know since I install USB O immediately. When did this happen?

I think it's disabled by default on the Mighty Mouse, not on standard mice. I think it's supposed to be that way so a dimwit can still use it as a single button mouse without having to change settings, but more advanced users can just change the setting.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    YOU CAN ALWAYS BOOT OFF USB in Mac OS X on Intel or otherwise. I've done it for every single freaking OS.

Stop stating incorrect facts. USB is just as viable as firewire, and more compatible with other computers, i can boot leopard, os 10.4, windows xp, and windows vista all from ONE usb drive...
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

I think it's disabled by default on the Mighty Mouse, not on standard mice. I think it's supposed to be that way so a dimwit can still use it as a single button mouse without having to change settings, but more advanced users can just change the setting.

also right click is NOT disabled by default on the mightmouse.... geeze. this thread is full of lies.