Apple MacBook owners organizing class action lawsuit

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by henrikmk

I'm really scared of buying one. Friends of mine have bought macbooks and experienced random shut downs, sending it in for repairs only to have it returned with the same problems again unfixed.

Then again, you don't hear about macbook owners who has one that just works perfectly. Is there anyone in here who has a perfect working macbook and uses it heavily?

I have three people who one anywhere from three weeks to almost from when they first came out, and so far, none has had a problem.

There will always be a certain percentage of people with specific problems. But, Apple has supposedly sold 750 thousand of these things. If a large number have had these problems, I think we would have heard even more.
  • Reply 22 of 63
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    It was just a matter of time but when you have every product made in China,,,,well the rest is history. Im just surprised all those G5 and G5 iMac owners havent gotten together because Apple has had all kinds of issues with G5s. Makes me long for my California Made PowerMac!
  • Reply 23 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by photoeditor

Before ProCare, Apple was that fast for everyone. I sense some backsliding going on here. Of course, their fees for AppleCare warranties haven't gone up in a while, but for non-educational buyers, that's simple a matter of inflation gradually reducing AppleCare prices from outrageous to reasonable; the bottom line is you now have to buy ProCare for what was standard a few years ago, namely reasonable service times. I sense a trend in the wrong direction for Apple standards of service and quality at the moment.

Apple is selling many more computers than ever before. It is always the fact that services lag sales. It's simple to ramp up production, but difficult to hire and train more phone support people and technicians. It also takes time to expand facilities to handle repairs. Companies are understandably reluctant to do that ahead of definitely continued increasing sales. There is a matter of catch-up going on.

Apple is better at this than most. But they aren't perfect.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aurora

It was just a matter of time but when you have every product made in China,,,,well the rest is history. Im just surprised all those G5 and G5 iMac owners havent gotten together because Apple has had all kinds of issues with G5s. Makes me long for my California Made PowerMac!

China has nothing to do with it. The Chinese are capable of producing the highest quality products. That's determined by the company they are producing for. Just like companies all over the world.
  • Reply 25 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by photoeditor

Before ProCare, Apple was that fast for everyone. I sense some backsliding going on here. Of course, their fees for AppleCare warranties haven't gone up in a while, but for non-educational buyers, that's simple a matter of inflation gradually reducing AppleCare prices from outrageous to reasonable; the bottom line is you now have to buy ProCare for what was standard a few years ago, namely reasonable service times. I sense a trend in the wrong direction for Apple standards of service and quality at the moment.

To be fair, the people who were not using ProCare were being quoted very similar times - 2-6 days on repairs. I think this is the first time I've actually taken a computer to Apple for repair, but so far, we've been pleased. I think now that it appears they've caught up with the heatsink demand, the repair times should drop. We can hope anyway.
  • Reply 26 of 63
    WAAAAA!!!

My computer is not absolutely perfect in every way!!!

WAAAAA!!!

Apple says they're better which means they think they're perfect which means this is false advertising which means I'm sueing them for lots of money!!!

WAAAAA!!!

Apple: We recognize that there is a problem with some of our revision A MacBooks. We will replace the defective components as fast as we can supply them free of charge.

WAAAAA!!!

You're not doing it fast enough to apease me!!!

WAAAAA!!!

Me: Typical. For the record my second shipment MacBook 1.83 has performed flawlessly for months now. No discoloration, no shutting down, no plastic on the vents, no heat issues, nothing.

The reason people get the idea that these issues are widespead is cause those few that have the problem are making so much damn noise about it it drowns out the people that are respectfully saying that they are satisfied with Apple's products.
  • Reply 27 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

China has nothing to do with it. The Chinese are capable of producing the highest quality products. That's determined by the company they are producing for. Just like companies all over the world.

I think you have confused China with Japan Japan yes, China.....
  • Reply 28 of 63
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AeronPrometheus

WAAAAA!!!

My computer is not absolutely perfect in every way!!!

WAAAAA!!!

Apple says they're better which means they think they're perfect which means this is false advertising which means I'm sueing them for lots of money!!!

WAAAAA!!!

Apple: We recognize that there is a problem with some of our revision A MacBooks. We will replace the defective components as fast as we can supply them free of charge.

WAAAAA!!!

You're not doing it fast enough to apease me!!!

WAAAAA!!!

Me: Typical. For the record my second shipment MacBook 1.83 has performed flawlessly for months now. No discoloration, no shutting down, no plastic on the vents, no heat issues, nothing.

The reason people get the idea that these issues are widespead is cause those few that have the problem are making so much damn noise about it it drowns out the people that are respectfully saying that they are satisfied with Apple's products.

Shut up.
  • Reply 29 of 63
    Just another Apple does no wrong fanboy. Apple could package cow dung and he would be telling folks its better then chocolate.
  • Reply 30 of 63
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AeronPrometheus

If that is really the case, it wouldn't take so damn long for them to repair the Macbook and there wouldn't be any class action lawsuit.
  • Reply 31 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aurora

I think you have confused China with Japan Japan yes, China.....

No I don't. Japan has most of their factories in China now as well.

Why don't you look up who manufacturers in China? You will be surprised.

Don't be prejudiced here, learn about it first.
  • Reply 32 of 63
    That was a worthless response. You could have argued otherwise.
  • Reply 33 of 63
    donlphidonlphi Posts: 214member
    The turn around time for my repair was 2 days, which is pretty impressive. NO PROBLEM HERE. Maybe I should testify on behalf of Apple... because they need that.

Oh well... I'd say some people need to stop getting their panties in a bunch. This country is LAW SUIT CRAZY!!!

I guess if you can't make money by working hard, take somebody elses because they made a HARMLESS mistake. It isn't like people DIED because they can't use their macbooks.

I wish I would have waited so I could get some of that cry baby action.
  • Reply 34 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123

If that is really the case, it wouldn't take so damn long for them to repair the Macbook and there wouldn't be any class action lawsuit.

I think you're a bit off here too. The reason it could be taking so long is simple manufacturing issues: Apple probably didn't have tens of thousands of extra heatsinks laying around. That, and it took some time for them to diagnose the problem.

That said, at least from my experience, the wait time is definitely improving - two days in my case. That's not too bad.

Moreover, if you think that a class action lawsuit is automatically a valid signal of massive widespread problems...well...you may want to rethink that. Even as a law student, I realize that not all class action lawsuits have merit.
  • Reply 35 of 63
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Just to add another possitive comment. The MacBook 13" white with extra RAM and larger HD I bought my wife has run day and night since September 1st without any problems.
  • Reply 36 of 63
    Quote:

No I don't. Japan has most of their factories in China now as well.

Why don't you look up who manufacturers in China? You will be surprised.

Don't be prejudiced here, learn about it first.

Yup, everyone outsources to China now. Great prison/slave workers and other cool things like that.

But now, China is starting to outsource to Vietnam. Go figure.
  • Reply 37 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave

The word should be "recedes." Trust me, I am intimately familiar with that word!

Haha, well said! May I recommend hair plugs?

Oh yeah, I have a black macbook and had it repaired for a faulty isight. Not one random shutdown yet (before or after repair), I've had it for 5 months now.
  • Reply 38 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove

Yup, everyone outsources to China now. Great prison/slave workers and other cool things like that.

That's a good joke, but it's rather overstated. There is no labor of that kind going into multinational products.

It isn't exactly as if labor practices in the USA or Europe are perfect there either. All countries use prison labor to turn out some products.

Quote:

But now, China is starting to outsource to Vietnam. Go figure.

Costs are rising fast. Wages are zooming, as are working condirions and benefits. There is a labor SHORTAGE in the factory towns as the situation in the countryside is improving, and labor stays there, or returns.

What else is new?

Inflation in China is part of the cause, as is labor awarness that they have increasing power despite the legality of independent labor unions.

Vietnam, and other places, are cheaper.
  • Reply 39 of 63
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

That was a worthless response. You could have argued otherwise.

The reply was appropriate for the original post. Thanks for your input, though.
  • Reply 40 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco

The reply was appropriate for the original post. Thanks for your input, though.

It was a bit over the top. But he made some good points with it.