A glaring dead pixel on my NEW iMac...

Retun?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    put a sticker over it.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    Very irritating, I know - but they probably won't take it back because of just one dead pixel. I would say that if there is anything else niggling you, that now is your chance to sort it out, and getting a pixel perfect replacement would be a bonus.

David
  • Reply 3 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmhtkmhtkmht

What to do?

A glaring dead pixel on my NEW iMac...

Retun?

Throw your iMac out the window!!! I hate dead pixels. It bothers me a lot!! I just feel that the LCD screen should have been an evolution. Dead pixels are reasonably common, but completly unacceptable IMO.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    You should at least try rubbing it lightly with a soft cloth before deciding anything. Sometimes you can revive dead pixels by doing so.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    I have generalized the word "dead" a bit too quickly, apparently, it is technically a "stuck" pixel" - have tried the cloth trick, no avail.

So I was sold a 1919 x 1199 screen as opposed to the advertised 1920 x 1200!
  • Reply 6 of 10
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    Let me be pedantic - it's actually a (1920x1200)-(1/3) - you might want to try one of those 'unsticking' programs/videos that flashes different colours quickly.

David
  • Reply 7 of 10
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmhtkmhtkmht

So I was sold a 1919 x 1199 screen as opposed to the advertised 1920 x 1200!

I can't quite see how one dead pixel could make 3 119 pixels unusable. If that really is the case, you ought to be able to return it.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I had this exact issue with my 12 inch Powerbook. I actually took it back to the Apple store where I had bought it, told them about my dilemma very nicely and they gave me a new one. They definitely let me know they normally don't do that and if the new one had a pixel problem I'd be SOL. One of the many things that sold me on Apple was them doing that for me.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Apple is actually reasonable about stuck [always on] pixels, they are a distracting defect. Dead [always dark] pixels are not "usually" noticeable so they are a lot slower to take those as basis for return. I have never heard of Apple not replacing a monitor with a stuck pixel.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro

Apple is actually reasonable about stuck [always on] pixels, they are a distracting defect. Dead [always dark] pixels are not "usually" noticeable so they are a lot slower to take those as basis for return. I have never heard of Apple not replacing a monitor with a stuck pixel.

My iPod (Photo) had one stuck pixel on it's two inch screen, and it was slightly annoying, but I didn't try to have it replaced because a) it was stuck white so I only noticed it was stuck when the screen was black (aka not most of the time), and two it was at the top in the title bar.