Start with C or C++ to get to ObjC/Cocoa?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy

Right. What I couldn't figure out was how to change that NSTextField (which comes in as type IBOutlet; internally it is type NSTextField) to an NSMutableString so that I could do string methods like "length" on it directly. I suppose I could just do a

NSMutableString *myString = [JumbleWord1 stringValue];

to cast it, and use myString from then on. I don't know if that is the preferred way of doing it though.

IBOutlet isn't a type, it's a keyword that is ignored by the compiler but scanned by Interface Builder.

That is the only way to do it. NSTextField doesn't handle stuff that NSString is responsible for.

Also, you're not casting anything (well, actually, you are, but you shouldn't be and I'll get into that in a bit). You're just accessing the text field's string value, and storing it. The string is a completely different object than the text field.

About the your accidental casting: stringValue doesn't return an NSMutableString, but an NSString. That code should generate a warning on compile, but either way, you're not getting a mutable string back, just a regular string. So if you pass any message that an NSString can't handle, your app is gonna throw an exception (and/or crash).

So your code should either be

Code:

NSString *string = [jumbleWord stringValue];

-or-

Code:

NSMutableString *mutableString = [[jumbleWord stringValue] mutableCopy];

(using the latter, of course, only if you actually need a mutable string)
  • Reply 42 of 47
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Cool. Thanks for the explanation. I'm gonna go make the code more elegant now.

I do need a mutable string because I need to sort the letters in the word alphabetically as a hash, and I have to either make it all lowercase or all uppercase before sorting (in case the user enters mixed case text) so that the letters will sort properly. I chose to lowercase it, sort the letters and then uppercase it for output.

That could be made simpler I suppose by some filter function on input to force uppercase, or failing that, by just uppercasing it before sorting and leaving it that way through the output. Amazing the improvements you always find no matter how many times you go back and re-look at code.
  • Reply 43 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy

Cool. Thanks for the explanation. I'm gonna go make the code more elegant now.

I do need a mutable string because I need to sort the letters in the word alphabetically as a hash, and I have to either make it all lowercase or all uppercase before sorting (in case the user enters mixed case text) so that the letters will sort properly. I chose to lowercase it, sort the letters and then uppercase it for output.

That could be made simpler I suppose by some filter function on input to force uppercase, or failing that, by just uppercasing it before sorting and leaving it that way through the output. Amazing the improvements you always find no matter how many times you go back and re-look at code.

Also, don't forget that you can call lowercaseString or uppercaseString on an NSString.

I'm still not sure exactly what you're doing, but you might also be interested in NSCharacterSet.
  • Reply 44 of 47
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    I'll check it out. I need to sort the letters in a word into alphabetical order - this is my hash for retrieval. It works fine using a separate heap sort routine, but I am always fiddling with it and wonder if there is any way to transfer a string's characters as elements of an NSArray (so that I can then sort the array) without looping through the string character-by-character. Once I get the characters in an NSArray, it's a one-shot deal to sort the array - the problem is assigning a string to an array such that the array elements are the characters of the string. It's just fiddling to see if there is something else I can learn - it works fine as is, and it worked fine in the first iteration when I used NSEnumerator to loop through the string and assign the array elements one at a time.
  • Reply 45 of 47
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Well looky here what I ran across...

http://cocoadevcentral.com/articles/000081.php

"This tutorial explains the parts of C you need to get started with Cocoa."

And it's even on topic!
  • Reply 46 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha

100% agreed - that's the beauty of it. Need to optimize away some of those method calls? Realize you *can* get away with raw functions in speedy speedy C? Do it. Being able to drop back to C at a moment's notice is a godsend.

Otherwise it's just Smalltalk.

Back in the day you would program in C and if you needed speed you would use Assembly, but now you use Obj-C and if you need speed you stop using objects.
  • Reply 47 of 47
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Or, since it's just C, you can *STILL* drop into assembly if necessary. Objects down to hardware, you get to pick.