Some video iPods infected with Windows virus

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    ...viral marketing!
  • Reply 42 of 46
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Yeah, how ironic considering the Anti-AIDS Red iPod nano: 8)

.................................................. ..............
  • Reply 43 of 46
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Get it? Let's say the iPod Red nano comes with a software virus, Apple prints "Don't get more viruses. Use condoms......" on the iPod Red nanos.......
  • Reply 44 of 46
    All,

I have worked in manufacturing.

Believe me...

You wouldn't believe half the you know what that goes on in a manufacturing facility.

It is amazing that most products seem to work regardless of brand.

Based on the way the iPod works...

They should be placing new/unformatted drives in these units.

The firmare in the iPod itself should format the drive and run a self diagnostic.

I'm thinking that they may run one final test hooked to a PC.

If it doesn't get infected there, then...

I'm wondering if it is only units from non-Apple stores that have this problem.

The reason I'm asking is that many of these third-party vendors open the stuff

up, mess with it, and repackage it. I had a virus on a piece of software I bought

in the late 80's. I had just taken it out of the box and put it in my machine.

A virus message came up while it was loading. It was in a shrink wrapped box.

I called the store, and they confirmed that they get their software from a third party

warehouse and not directly from the vendor. They indicated that this was suddenly a

problem for them and that it would be fixed.

I would think it would be in Apple's best interest to find out if this is the case.

Regards,

Ocriss
  • Reply 45 of 46
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

Get it? Let's say the iPod Red nano comes with a software virus, Apple prints "Don't get more viruses. Use condoms......" on the iPod Red nanos.......

If you have to explain it...
  • Reply 46 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ocriss33324

All,

I have worked in manufacturing...

What kind of manufacturing? Technology equipment? And where at, in the states? China? I'm sure things vary whereever you go and I'm sure that a lot of stupid stuff happens just cause companies are too lazy/ignorant about it. But we know this was a mistake, and I would like to believe that Apple wasn't poising itself for something like this to happen ala:

'Why is there no virus scanner on this test machine? It's connected to the internet.'

'Don't worry about it.'

It prolly could have been prevented if they'd've known to watch for it. But it wasn't something that they expected could happen to them (When is it ever?) and naturally considered all was well and to steam ahead.

The important thing is that it was found early, stopped, fixed, and Apple will not likely allow it to happen again.