Apple's share of U.S. PC market jumps to 6.1 percent

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 88
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign

A couple of people I know with MBPs and MBs noticed the temperature dropped dramatically with a replacement battery. I had the same with an iBook that had a replacement battery under the recent battery replacement program.

That's interesting. Was the heat coming from the battery itself, or do you think it was power management, as sometimes that gets screwed in with the computer in the batteries?
  • Reply 82 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea

Heh...not on my MBP...thing runs hot but not hot enough that I want to wipe it to replace with another.

I wish mine had a heat issue. It's fucking freezing today. :/
  • Reply 83 of 88
    anybody have links or info as to what the Mac OS vs Windows Marketshare Analysis is? Just wondering.
  • Reply 84 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

That's interesting. Was the heat coming from the battery itself, or do you think it was power management, as sometimes that gets screwed in with the computer in the batteries?

Difficult to tell. A bit of both I think. Usually it's the hard disk that's the hot spot on the left hand side but it was generally hot all over.
  • Reply 85 of 88
    Quote:

Difficult to tell. A bit of both I think. Usually it's the hard disk that's the hot spot on the left hand side but it was generally hot all over.

One other thing. did you get this before, or after, Apple told about the piece of plastic film covering the exhaust slot? Do you remember that one? That was causing heat problems around the top of the keyboard. A friend had that left on, and removed it. It helped.
  • Reply 86 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

One other thing. did you get this before, or after, Apple told about the piece of plastic film covering the exhaust slot? Do you remember that one? That was causing heat problems around the top of the keyboard. A friend had that left on, and removed it. It helped.

It was on an iBook G3 500Mhz bought in 2001 with a replacement battery I'd bought almost a year ago. The battery recall affects batteries going way back.

The 500Mhz iBook is usually blissfully cool to touch except for the hard disk which was slightly warm. I don't use it often but my partner noticed it after the battery upgrade and now with the replacement it's back to ice cool again.
  • Reply 87 of 88
    Quote:

It was on an iBook G3 500Mhz bought in 2001 with a replacement battery I'd bought almost a year ago. The battery recall affects batteries going way back.

The 500Mhz iBook is usually blissfully cool to touch except for the hard disk which was slightly warm. I don't use it often but my partner noticed it after the battery upgrade and now with the replacement it's back to ice cool again.

Hmm. Was that by any chance a Sony battery? Also Lithium, I suppose?

Lithium batteries have a problem of micro shorts that cause premature battery drainage, and excess heat.

This also causes havoc with the controllers built into them. When the shorting gets to a certain level, the battery can't dump the excess heat, and wham!