Apple to optimize screen space with "multi-panel scrolling"

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

They are trying to get around the Creative license settlement for future products... I think.

I don't think so - the settlement was a one time payment only to use the rights indefinitely.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    re: option-command-[space bar]...I never knew about that! Thanks. Macs are awesome, so are Mac users. Ya learn something new every day!
  • Reply 23 of 25
    Quote:

Sort of like 4d, I know it exists hypothetically, but I can't really wrap my mind around the implications.

I'm a pretty big fan of Apple's innovation, but I gotta say I don't think sync'd up panel scrolling quite approaches the whole 4-D discussion.

Personally, I think having each panel scroll at a different speed as you move the scrollbar, so each panel would reach the end at the same time, regardless of content length, would be much more useful than one of the panels just stopping while the others continued to the end. If the latter were the case, then scrolling back the other way would be confusing. When would the "shorter" content in the "frozen" panel start scrolling again as you went back toward the top?
  • Reply 24 of 25
    Mm, correct me if I'm wrong, but the way the Spotlight window behaves may not always be preferrable. For example, let's say you've got some content exceeding both left and right panes. You're currently looking at something on the bottom of the left pane and would like to now compare it to something in the top of the right pane. Naturally, you scroll up using your handy dandy Mighty Mouse. Oops, the information at the bottom of the left pane has also scrolled up and is no longer visible. Don't believe me? Open up spotlight, do a search, show all, and shrink the window a little. Now try to view the bottom of the left pane and the top of the right pane both at once. Tricky? Ah, there's the rub.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MuncyWeb

Mm, correct me if I'm wrong, but the way the Spotlight window behaves may not always be preferrable. For example, let's say you've got some content exceeding both left and right panes. You're currently looking at something on the bottom of the left pane and would like to now compare it to something in the top of the right pane. Naturally, you scroll up using your handy dandy Mighty Mouse. Oops, the information at the bottom of the left pane has also scrolled up and is no longer visible. Don't believe me? Open up spotlight, do a search, show all, and shrink the window a little. Now try to view the bottom of the left pane and the top of the right pane both at once. Tricky? Ah, there's the rub.

Yep...that's one of the caveats.