Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    New York City (2002) 8,008,278

-Bronx 1,332,650 / 44 sq mi = 30k people per sq mi

-Brooklyn 2,465,326 / 82 sq mi = 30k people per sq mi

-Manhattan 1,537,195 / 24 sq mi = 64k people per sq mi

-Queens 2,229,379 / 112 sq mi = 20k people per sq mi

-Staten Island 443,728 / 60 sq mi = 7k people per sq mi

NYC also has 44 million visitors per year who spend on average $500 each.

7 million of those tourists are international.

Each year over 3.5 million people visit the Empire State Building.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by farshad

Yes . Good spot ! Will sell allot of ipods to tourist. I would almost say they should just open a few IPOD only stores in the city . Like one in Times Sq .

I think the mini stores make even more sense as they branch out into cell phones.

They should have mini stores that focus on MacBooks, iPods, iPhones and ACCESSORIES.

At the last keynote Steve mentioned that there are over 3000 iPod accessories available!

Accessories are also a big thing with cell phones.

I hope we will see so well designed accessories right of the bat with the iPhone's introduction.

- Holster

- Bluetooth headset

- travel charger

- car charger

- etc.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella

New York City (2002) 8,008,278

-Bronx 1,332,650 / 44 sq mi = 30k people per sq mi

-Brooklyn 2,465,326 / 82 sq mi = 30k people per sq mi

-Manhattan 1,537,195 / 24 sq mi = 64k people per sq mi

-Queens 2,229,379 / 112 sq mi = 20k people per sq mi

-Staten Island 443,728 / 60 sq mi = 7k people per sq mi

NYC also has 44 million visitors per year who spend on average $500 each.

7 million of those tourists are international.

Each year over 3.5 million people visit the Empire State Building.

And about 20 million, when including those who live in the close surrounding area.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Not Staten Island. Queens.

Ok yeah the one in Staten Island is at the Staten Island mall, which I have never been to.

I did not know there is an Apple Store in Queens.

Quote:

And about 20 million, when including those who live in the close surrounding area.

Yes and millions of those people commute into the city for work, shopping, and entertainment.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    in queens? come on.. it's not even in queens, it's out in nassau.. roosevelt field mall? meadowbrook pkwy?? old country rd not ring a bell?? you people without cars who never leave "the city" (cuz subways don't run there), also there are other parts of new york city besides manhattan.. ugg
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cynikal

in queens? come on.. it's not even in queens, it's out in nassau.. roosevelt field mall? meadowbrook pkwy?? old country rd not ring a bell?? you people without cars who never leave "the city" (cuz subways don't run there), also there are other parts of new york city besides manhattan.. ugg

It's easiest to describe it as Queens, because once you leave NYC, people get really confused if you say Nassau. And it's pretty close in anyway.

I live in Forest Hills, and when I say that, they have no idea as to where I am. I have to say Queens.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

It's easiest to describe it as Queens, because once you leave NYC, people get really confused if you say Nassau. And it's pretty close in anyway.

I live in Forest Hills, and when I say that, they have no idea as to where I am. I have to say Queens.

so you're favoring easy in place of accurate.. i guess i now know how this was perpetuated in the first place..

and i lived in flushing (and people made fun of that name also) but i can live w/ it.. also if they said they don't know where it is, i'd explain it's a (stupidly named) township in queens, which is one of the five boroughs of new york cities (one without skyscrapers)..

i don't want to seem all anal, it's just when people say "oh roosevelt field is in queens", that just makes it seem like you don't know what you're talking about.. it's just as easy (and far more accurate) to say it's NEAR queens.. it's one thing if it's said as a joke (but it didn't seem like that), however when people pass incorrect info off as fact, i feel i gotta speak up..

anyway sorry to beat a dead horse.. hooray for a 3rd apple store.. how about one in brooklyn heights? i guess park slope would make more sense though since it seems a little more trendy
  • Reply 28 of 34
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:

so you're favoring easy in place of accurate.. i guess i now know how this was perpetuated in the first place..

and i lived in flushing (and people made fun of that name also) but i can live w/ it.. also if they said they don't know where it is, i'd explain it's a (stupidly named) township in queens, which is one of the five boroughs of new york cities (one without skyscrapers)..

i don't want to seem all anal, it's just when people say "oh roosevelt field is in queens", that just makes it seem like you don't know what you're talking about.. it's just as easy (and far more accurate) to say it's NEAR queens.. it's one thing if it's said as a joke (but it didn't seem like that), however when people pass incorrect info off as fact, i feel i gotta speak up..

anyway sorry to beat a dead horse.. hooray for a 3rd apple store.. how about one in brooklyn heights? i guess park slope would make more sense though since it seems a little more trendy

Brookyln Heights on Montague would be a much better locale than Park Slope. Better subway access by way of Borough Hall and Court St. stations. Better surrounding shopping.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Flatbush Avenue from the Manhattan Bridge through downtown Brooklyn to Grand Army Plaza is gearing up for a major building boom. Downtown Brooklyn will be radically different over the next five years.

There is also major construction in Williamburg/Greenpoint area and the Redhook/Gowanis area. So its difficult right now to say where the best place in Brooklyn for an Apple store will be.

As for Queens I would be looking at Long Island City as a place for a future Apple store.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell

Flatbush Avenue from the Manhattan Bridge through downtown Brooklyn to Grand Army Plaza is gearing up for a major building boom. Downtown Brooklyn will be radically different over the next five years.

There is also major construction in Williamburg/Greenpoint area and the Redhook/Gowanis area. So its difficult right now to say where the best place in Brooklyn for an Apple store will be.

As for Queens I would be looking at Long Island City as a place for a future Apple store.

Williamsburg has been slowing down as the new "hot" area is Long Island City.

After the big hi end Co-op is finished at the site of the old Pepsi Bottling site we will see even more changes.

A couple of friends of mine, and myself were looking to buy a small building a year ago. We didn't find what we wanted where we wanted one though, so we ended up not buying anything.

But the buildings that were going for around $1.5 million, are now going for two and up. We should have just bought and held it for investment.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan

Brookyln Heights on Montague would be a much better locale than Park Slope. Better subway access by way of Borough Hall and Court St. stations. Better surrounding shopping.

good point.. montague would be great for me too.. it's literally like 3 blocks from where i live, and i have like access to 8 subway stops.. i don't know if montague is trendy enough for apple though (but i'm sure it would improve montague a great bit)..

i don't personally spend much time in park slope so i can't really speak to how trendy or non-trendy it is
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Quote:

good point.. montague would be great for me too.. it's literally like 3 blocks from where i live, and i have like access to 8 subway stops.. i don't know if montague is trendy enough for apple though (but i'm sure it would improve montague a great bit)..

i don't personally spend much time in park slope so i can't really speak to how trendy or non-trendy it is

Apple looks at several things. One, as you mentioned is ease of access. The other is what class of shopping is being done there. The third is what kind of neighborhood it is.

If it's in a mall the last doesn't alway apply, but if it's in a more residential area, it would have to be mid to upper class housing.

GTW failed in part because they didn't adhere to any of those prescriptions.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    Was the Fifth Avenue store not enough?

Edit: Alright, I retract my statement. I didn't realize that the two existing stores were that busy.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrparet View Post

Was the Fifth Avenue store not enough?

Edit: Alright, I retract my statement. I didn't realize that the two existing stores were that busy.

It was also the second store in NYC.