I think It's Time for Andy Reid to Go

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood

Haha, I'm a Sacramento Kings fan. I know all about being pissed off.

The thing about being in California, most fans here are very forgiving. Midwest and East Coast fans aren't like that. They're for the most part extremely knowledgable (sometimes too knowledgable), and will be the first to point out imperfections rather than positive contributions. But then again, when you're cooped up in cold weather for half the year, there's nothing to do other than boil over at your teams...

I'm actually not even mad in all seriousness. I'm just coming to a conclusion based on the facts I see.
  • Reply 22 of 50
    Well, fuck, I am.

Goddamn Kings, SF Giants, and Niners...
  • Reply 23 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood

Well, fuck, I am.

Goddamn Kings, SF Giants, and Niners...

Yeah, not so good!
  • Reply 24 of 50
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Raiders, Warriors..... (just to rub it in)
  • Reply 25 of 50
    Anyone watching the game? Reid isn't calling plays...again...and they're down to the fucking Titans 24-6. McNabb is out with a knee injury and no update.

Despite last week's win, I repeat my call for Reid to go. It's not bittnerness or anger or freaking out. They suck. Penalities, dropped balls, missed tackles, the head coach as relinquished play calling. It's unacceptable in the NFL, especially with all the talent this team actually has.
  • Reply 26 of 50
    How Bout 'dem Niners????!?!?!?!

Woooooo!!!!!
  • Reply 27 of 50
    eh, I think the Eagles talent on defense is over-rated. They're aging, have had injuries and free agency losses and it shows.
  • Reply 28 of 50
    Well...another week, another pathetic loss. They gave up 200 yds rushing for christ's sake.

Reid must go. Now.
  • Reply 29 of 50
    Your whole team must go...
  • Reply 30 of 50
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    #1 - A run stuffing DT or two. These lightweight guys may be athletic and good at rushing the passer, but they are getting eaten alive by the opponent's OL week after week.

#2 - A power back who can close games and punch it in from short yardage. Passing on 1st and Goal from the 2? Please! Westbrook is one of the better all purpose backs in the NFL right now, but he can't keep the chains moving and the clock running when opponents are expecting the run.

#3 - Somebody who can teach the defense how to tackle!!

As for getting rid of Reid, I can't decide if this year's woes are a result of poor coaching, key injuries (McNabb, The Freak, etc.) or a tired team with 'worn out' players. Reid has been one of the few consistent winning coaches so far this decade, it'd be hard for management to boot him without back to back poor seasons, with McNabb in the lineup.

In the Colts game, I was glad the offense kept it respectable until the defense folded for good that last Colt drive and that lucky strip of Garcia. At least they were able to move the ball well and score with Garcia running the O, which was something I was worried about.
  • Reply 31 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPoster

#1 - A run stuffing DT or two. These lightweight guys may be athletic and good at rushing the passer, but they are getting eaten alive by the opponent's OL week after week.

#2 - A power back who can close games and punch it in from short yardage. Passing on 1st and Goal from the 2? Please! Westbrook is one of the better all purpose backs in the NFL right now, but he can't keep the chains moving and the clock running when opponents are expecting the run.

#3 - Somebody who can teach the defense how to tackle!!

As for getting rid of Reid, I can't decide if this year's woes are a result of poor coaching, key injuries (McNabb, The Freak, etc.) or a tired team with 'worn out' players. Reid has been one of the few consistent winning coaches so far this decade, it'd be hard for management to boot him without back to back poor seasons, with McNabb in the lineup.

In the Colts game, I was glad the offense kept it respectable until the defense folded for good that last Colt drive and that lucky strip of Garcia. At least they were able to move the ball well and score with Garcia running the O, which was something I was worried about.

Look, I like the guy too...but really. Remember 4 years ago when they started 0-2 ? Remember three losses in the NFC championship? The Super Bowl that they should have won? Consecutive false starts? Dropped passes and missed tackles? Not being emotionally ready to play?

If this was only the second year of this stuff, I'd agree with you. But even when the team has been better, this stuff has still been happening. Think about the clock management in the Super Bowl. That was ALL Andy Reid. Now look at the Garcia decision. Why in the hell would he be put in? He's old and certainly won't be the guy for camp next year, so why play him? Put the younger guy in and let him develop a bit.

As for what they need:

1. A new head coach and defensive coodinator

2. A healthy MNabb

3. A power back

4. Bigger D-line
  • Reply 32 of 50
    SDW, isn't the third guy in line AJ Feely, a former Eagle retread? There's nothing to develop, IMO.
  • Reply 33 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001

Look, I like the guy too...but really. Remember 4 years ago when they started 0-2 ? Remember three losses in the NFC championship? The Super Bowl that they should have won? Consecutive false starts? Dropped passes and missed tackles? Not being emotionally ready to play?

If this was only the second year of this stuff, I'd agree with you. But even when the team has been better, this stuff has still been happening. Think about the clock management in the Super Bowl. That was ALL Andy Reid. Now look at the Garcia decision. Why in the hell would he be put in? He's old and certainly won't be the guy for camp next year, so why play him? Put the younger guy in and let him develop a bit.

I agree with you on the inconsistencies of the team, but what I meant was that until he starts consistently having losing seasons with otherwise healthy teams, or never makes it back to the Big Show, it will be hard for the management to admit they were wrong and fire him.

As for the QB's, behind Garcia is A. J. Feeley (meh) and some rookie that was a walk on, IIRC.
  • Reply 34 of 50
    You've been kinda quiet SDW since you've gone on a little winning streak. Has your approval rating gone up in the last few weeks? He's been calling some pretty good game plans as of late...
  • Reply 35 of 50
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    ZOMG when they run the ball they win games!
  • Reply 36 of 50
    Coaching Coaching Coaching.

Just look at the New Orleans Saints. Sean Payton came in an cleaned house with staff and players. 90% of the team is average at best, especially defense.

However, I strongly believe that coaching makes the difference. Those guys believe in the coaching staff and put it on the line for them when they play and it shows.

No different in Philly. Reid is a good guy, but I dont see the team going out there and willing to die for this guy. And I don't see him motivating them in any way on the sidelines either. \

Dallas, well they just enjoy loosing right now. I don't see Philly going deep in the playoffs anytime soon.
  • Reply 37 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trailmaster308 View Post

Just look at the New Orleans Saints. Sean Payton came in an cleaned house with staff and players. 90% of the team is average at best, especially defense.

However, I strongly believe that coaching makes the difference. Those guys believe in the coaching staff and put it on the line for them when they play and it shows.

No different in Philly. Reid is a good guy, but I dont see the team going out there and willing to die for this guy. And I don't see him motivating them in any way on the sidelines either. \

Dallas, well they just enjoy loosing right now. I don't see Philly going deep in the playoffs anytime soon.

I think Payton has shown himself to be a real good coach thus far, but I think you're perhaps giving him a bit too much credit. Talent matters, and the Saints added LOTS of talent during the off-season. The upgrade of Brees over Brooks simply cannot be overstated. Brooks started out promising but regressed into a god awful quarterback. Reggie Bush, although it took a good half a season before you started seeing him make some big plays, dictates the defense on almost every play he's out there. AND they struck gold nabbing what may be the best receiver from the '06 draft in the seventh round. On defense, they revamped their terrible linebacker group with not anything special, but competent players. I've got to say, the NO coaching staff has done an excellent job getting the most out of a defensive group that isn't particularly talented.

This is not a knock on Payton at all. I'm just saying that their offensive talent is most definitely a fair amount above average. You've seen time and time again over the history of the league how the addition of one or two elite players (Bush in this case) combined with a couple upper echelon players (Brees and Colston) and not having any glaring liabilities (covered up fairly well on defense) can completely turn a franchise around. Favre in 92 and White in 94 to the packers comes to mind.

Does Payton have GM duties as well, or do they have a separate GM? If he's the GM too, well he does deserve a ton of credit.

Sideline motivation by a coach is way over-rated IMO. Big rah rah coaches (Tom Coughlin for example) invariably wind up losing control over their teams.
  • Reply 38 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trailmaster308 View Post

Come on...

This is coming from a guy who lives in Lousiana. You are a bit too bias. Of course the Saints defense is average. They win because they have the #1 offense in the NFL. If they didn't have Brees they wouldn't have over 5 or 6 wins. Payton's cleaning house was not the difference. Drew Brees was. Quarterbacks are key, not coaches. Ask Nick Saban. The Dolphins would be a completely different team with a healthy Dante Culpepper. As for Saints, they have played an easy schedule, and it shows because if you look at their wins, the only two quality wins have come against Dallas and Philly. I wouldn't even call the Philly win quality because 9 weeks ago they were fuckin' terrible. Just read above or ask S-Dee-Dub.

The Saints record is deceiving. It's a feel good story, yes, but it probably won't be a happy ending. They do have a chance to get to the Superbowl since the NFC is so weak. But any team could fuckin' make it there. Arizona would have a goddamn chance if they were allowed into the playoffs. Now, back to the topic.

I'm sorry, but if the Eagles make the Superbowl again, I don't want to hear a goddamn word about Andy Reid. I'm sick of hearing how much of a boob he is when year after year his team is in the playoffs, much less usually in the NFC Championship game. I can think of 24 other teams that would love to be in the position where the Eagles are. If it takes poor clock management, the Garcia decision, consecutive false starts, to make it the playoffs every year, where the fuck do I sign up?

EDIT: Damnit Flounder you beat me to it!
  • Reply 39 of 50
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Everybody knows Philly ain't winning any championship 'cause of Billy Penn.
  • Reply 40 of 50
    I will not get my hopes up!

So....any bets on a QB 'controversy' next summer?