Apple reseller, Apple retail to open shops in Glasgow

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Scotsys this week will officially take the wraps off Scotland's first Apple Premium Reseller outlet in Glasgow, which will be followed some time down the road by one of Apple Computer's own retail shops.

The Scotsys premium retail outlet, which will open to the public on Saturday November 4th at 164 Great Western Road in Glasgow, will mimic the shopping experience of Apple's own retail stores by showcasing the full line of Apple Macs and iPods in a customer-friendly environment.

Visitors to the store will be treated to the same hands-on experience offered at Apple's boutiques, including the ability to test-drive the company's newly designed MacBook and MacBook Pro, as well as its holiday lineup of iPod digital music players.

The reseller plans to host a number promotions and special deals that will be available as part of the grand opening, including a free iPod nano to this first ten shoppers and a grand prize drawing for a new Intel-based iMac.

"The inroads made by Scotsys within Scotland is underscored by this major investment into our Glasgow retail outlet," said John McAleenan, Scotsys Managing Director. "It is great to be a part of Apple's ongoing success with our new Apple Premium Reseller store."

Like Apple's retail stores, knowledgeable sales staff at the Scotsys location will offer service and advice for both consumer and professional users. It will also host in-store demonstrations and expert training to help customers get the most out of their new Mac purchases.

Meanwhile, plans for the first Apple-run retail store in Glasgow are also coming to a head this week. As first hinted in an AppleInsider report for earlier in the year, the Cupertino, Calif.-based Mac maker has been shopping for as many as 20 additional UK-based retail store fronts.

Site of the future Apple Store Glasgow

A building planning application filed with Glasgow's Planning and Development agency reveals that Apple hopes to renovate a building at 147 Buchanan Street in the city’s primary shopping district, turning it into a two-story retail outlet.

According to the filing, Apple is looking to remove the location's existing mezannine floor and replace it with a new stone floor. It also plans to adorn the shop's rear wall and ceilings with stainless steel panels.

Inside, the company has proposed a glass spiral staircase to the left of the main entrance that will connect the ground and mezzannine levels. Genius and iPod bars will be located on the upper level, according to the filing, while the basement will be used for storage.

Apple hopes to begin the renovations, which will cost an estimated £1,1,68,000, in February. An estimated completion date has been set for July.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    This is nice and all but whats the relevance for us in the states (i drifted through the article) and dont tell me the only relevance is more money for Apple here in the states.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    As someone who has recently moved to Glasgow I'm really looking forward to this!! It's about time we had some retail presence up here and what a great location for it.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Caribou Killa

This is nice and all but whats the relevance for us in the states (i drifted through the article) and dont tell me the only relevance is more money for Apple here in the states.

I would think a lot ofpeople in the UKprobably say the same about new stores opening in the US!
  • Reply 4 of 36
    Its good to see more real Apple Stores in UK but we need one in Wales

Cardiff, Wales, Uk should be the next Apple Store, the are makeing a new shopping center, it could go in there!

u could see Apple in there!
  • Reply 5 of 36
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timmillwood

Its good to see more real Apple Stores in UK but we need one in Wales

Cardiff, Wales, Uk should be the next Apple Store, the are makeing a new shopping center, it could go in there!

u could see Apple in there!

That looks like a great spot, and the right crowd. It is easy to picture an Apple store there somewhere.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    Quote:

Yeah, they must have forgotten that Rome hasn't burnt down (yet).
  • Reply 7 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimbo123

I would think a lot ofpeople in the UKprobably say the same about new stores opening in the US!

Indeed we do! It's nice to have some news from our side once in a while.

As a native of Edinburgh however, I'm really pissed off that Glasgow is getting TWO fairly sized Apple Stores (one official, one Scotsys) while we have to make do with zero! There's a little Scotsys in town, only about the size of a newsagents and I only buy cases for things from there myself, keeping the real stuff for Apple online.

A great big Princes Street Apple temple would be quite nice. Here's to idle speculation in the true spirit of the Apple rumour mill.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    That building in Glasgow could do with a good sand-blasting. Freshen it up a bit for Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sirron

That building in Glasgow could do with a good sand-blasting. Freshen it up a bit for Apple.

Har! My first thoughts seeing that slimy building. Hell, rebuild the entire site.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Scotsys this week will officially take the wraps off Scotland's first Apple Premium Reseller outlet in Glasgow, which will be followed some time down the road by one of Apple Computer's own retail shops.

The Scotsys premium retail outlet, which will open to the public on Saturday November 4th at 164 Great Western Road in Glasgow, will mimic the shopping experience of Apple's own retail stores by showcasing the full line of Apple Macs and iPods in a customer-friendly environment.

Visitors to the store will be treated to the same hands-on experience offered at Apple's boutiques, including the ability to test-drive the company's newly designed MacBook and MacBook Pro, as well as its holiday lineup of iPod digital music players.

The reseller plans to host a number promotions and special deals that will be available as part of the grand opening, including a free iPod nano to this first ten shoppers and a grand prize drawing for a new Intel-based iMac.

"The inroads made by Scotsys within Scotland is underscored by this major investment into our Glasgow retail outlet," said John McAleenan, Scotsys Managing Director. "It is great to be a part of Apple's ongoing success with our new Apple Premium Reseller store."

Like Apple's retail stores, knowledgeable sales staff at the Scotsys location will offer service and advice for both consumer and professional users. It will also host in-store demonstrations and expert training to help customers get the most out of their new Mac purchases.

Meanwhile, plans for the first Apple-run retail store in Glasgow are also coming to a head this week. As first hinted in an AppleInsider report for earlier in the year, the Cupertino, Calif.-based Mac maker has been shopping for as many as 20 additional UK-based retail store fronts.

A building planning application filed with Glasgow's Planning and Development agency reveals that Apple hopes to renovate a building at 147 Buchanan Street in the city’s primary shopping district, turning it into a two-story retail outlet.

According to the filing, Apple is looking to remove the location's existing mezannine floor and replace it with a new stone floor. It also plans to adorn the shop's rear wall and ceilings with stainless steel panels.

Inside, the company has proposed a glass spiral staircase to the left of the main entrance that will connect the ground and mezzannine levels. Genius and iPod bars will be located on the upper level, according to the filing, while the basement will be used for storage.

Apple hopes to begin the renovations, which will cost an estimated £1,1,68,000, in February. An estimated completion date has been set for July.

My first thought is what happens to an independent like Scotsys when Apple opens there too?
  • Reply 11 of 36
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:

This idiotic comment is amazing. I guess this guy hasn't worked out the internet is available in the rest of the World. Lucky for him the Brit that invented the internet (Tim Berners-Lee) didn't keep it in the UK
  • Reply 12 of 36
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Take your pick Apple:

• Reply 13 of 36
    Sorry to Hijack this one but I suppose it's loosely related!

Any one know when the Apple store Southampton is due to open it's doors? I have applied but not heard anything!

\
  • Reply 14 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ronn

Har! My first thoughts seeing that slimy building. Hell, rebuild the entire site.

I quite agree, we've too many Victorian buildings in Britain that still haven't been cleaned up properly after the pollution decreased (and we shipped all that heavy industry to China!)

The problem is a lot of people here aren't so much conservationist as plain old closed minded and would probably kick up a storm about an AMERICAN (and therefore vile, evil, capitalist, global) company wanting to spruce up a long mistreated piece of architecture for its new life as a boutique of their fine wares. Silly buggers. It's not like it was that soot covered and plain dirty when it was built in the first place, but you know what pressure groups can be like...

The glassy thing in Cardiff looks like a sweet idea. I hope Apple don't miss that one, give Wales a chance!

Oh and Ireland too. (Dublin is so asking for it.)

And France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Sweden, Poland, Portugal, Finland, Greece, Israel, Korea, Singapore, Brazil ... you get the idea.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips

This idiotic comment is amazing. I guess this guy hasn't worked out the internet is available in the rest of the World. Lucky for him the Brit that invented the internet (Tim Berners-Lee) didn't keep it in the UK

I agree with your sentiment, however and I know this might be semantics, but, Tim Berners-Lee can be credited with inventing the World Wide Web, not the Internet. DARPA was inventing the Internet starting in the late 50's. Berners-Lee was born in 1955.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    Looks like the resellers already have Beijing covered:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...006/10/31/5803

China and India and other developing nations are obviously tough, tough markets for Apple. Though its nice to see the boutique crowd there can at least have a bite so to speak.

The real market Apple is currently letting down is Europe as a whole and the other advanced and properly policed nations outside of North America, Japan and Britain. Korea, Singapore, South Africa (well, the wealthy parts), UAE (Dubai) and Australia and New Zealand come to mind but I'm principally talking about Europe. It's a point I've made before but let me yell it again:

The EU has a LARGER population than the US, similar or superior living standards in the west especially, has a BIGGER economy, and has far LESS Macs. It's a market screaming out for exploitation. Dell and HP and the rest have been milking it for years. Ignoring it is as stupid as if Apple were to forget to open stores or ADVERTISE Macs in any state east of Illinois!
  • Reply 17 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacCentric

I agree with your sentiment, however and I know this might be semantics, but, Tim Berners-Lee can be credited with inventing the World Wide Web, not the Internet. DARPA was inventing the Internet starting in the late 50's. Berners-Lee was born in 1955.

Indeed. And he did it on an American computer (a NeXT Cube) in Switzerland (working at CERN). I think that's a pretty global credit for discovery.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    Quote:

Wow, you are the type of person who makes Americans look bad to the rest of the world. That you think that anything that happens outside of the country you live in is unimportant reflects a truly closed mind. This is AppleInsider, not AppleInsiderUS, therefore anything that happens related to APPLE has a place on this site. I am an American and I personally am interested in Apple's global ventures and I agree with many of the posters who live in other countries who feel that Apple should increase their retail presence globally. As long as the profits per store are comparable, I can see no reason why Apple shouldn't expand their presence in those countries. They should set up stores especially in the capitals or busiest trade cities of every first world country so that there is at least an opportunity for people to get to know the products which Apple offers first hand.

Also, take a look at this quote from Apple's latest earnings press release:

"International sales accounted for 40 percent of the quarter's revenue."

That's a huge deal, Apple is a global company, and AppleInsider wouldn't be a comprehensive web site if they neglected 40% of Apple.

Now these ads for Verizon Wireless written in Spanish appearing on this site which is written in English are stupid. I doubt people who can't read English will spend time visiting a site which is written in English.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuyutsuki

Oh and Ireland too. (Dublin is so asking for it.)

And France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Sweden, Poland, Portugal, Finland, Greece, Israel, Korea, Singapore, Brazil ... you get the idea.

You forgot the USA?
  • Reply 20 of 36
    Good to see an Apple store in Glasgow finally.

In response to the comment about Glasgow v Edinburgh, I can reassure you that the scotsys store in Glasgow is just the same size as the one in Edinburgh. It is the same size after the refit as before, but looks very modern and trendy now - very apple.

I'm sure Edinburgh will get an apple store soon - George Street or that new trendy posh shopping street beside the St James centre perhaps?

Finally, just another vote for UK articles too. I don't complain whenever there is an article about any America store, so why should anyone complain about a UK store? Thanks for the info appleinsider.