Unbox + Xbox360 = iTunes + ????

2»

Comments

• Reply 20 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elixir

i'd actually hold off a bit until after the holidays to get a wii (if thats what you want).

wait until all the hyperbole is flattened, and real opinions start to surface.

nintendo fans are proclaming this the greatest thing to happen to gaming, the return of the Big N to console games, but it could very well end up being the biggest inflated flop of all time.

Oh yah I'm in no rush. My 360 could hold me over for quite a while...maybe until the price is down to about 150-200 range lol. It will either be the greatest thing to ever happen, or the biggest flop in gaming history. It is a big dare on Nintendos part...kind of like the iMac, how it was so revultionary and a great success, while the Newton, while completly revolutionary, flopped. I'm hoping it will surprise everyone though.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    First off, here is the "Mini Wii" thread.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...859#post981859

I think Apple needs to do something, and quickly, to get a handle on the game console market. Because the game console is rapidly becoming a computer for the living room. Anyone should be able to see what is coming, and the companies who fail to enter this new market will lose.

Yes, the Wii is an odd machine, and underpowered. But I think with Wi-Fi and a web browser, it will be a success. They also have so many unique games for the children's market, that many families will buy one.

Sony's new PS3 will flop because they are expensive, and Sony does not have Microsh*t's bottomless pockets to sell PS3s at a high loss (at least $200 per PS3). In addition, production has not ramped up for Sony's new Blu-Ray disc players and this has caused shortages for the upcoming launch.

That leaves the market wide open for Microsoft's Xbox 360. Of course they are leveraging their huge profits from the Windows monopoly to enter and control the game console market. Although M$ loses money one each console sold, they dont care, because they know this is just the beginning.

Sure the Xbox 360 has an internet connection, but the only place on the net you can go is ...Xbox Live. You pay M$ for internet service, and for any services offered from Xbox Live. You pay M$ a cut every time you purchase an Xbox 360 game, so they decide what games you will play.

You really dont own an Xbox 360, any more than you own the set top box from your cable company. You rent it, and you pay your rent to M$.

Microsh*t is installing a propreitary COMPUTER in millions of living rooms, and right now they have no competition. The Wii is to slow to run next-generation games like Oblivion, and there wont be enough PS3s for months. This fight for supremacy in the living room is a serious business because millions of people are spending billions of dollars on game consoles and games.

I just cant understand why Apple Computer cant see this coming.

• Reply 23 of 35
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Populist

I think Apple needs to do something, and quickly, to get a handle on the game console market. Because the game console is rapidly becoming a computer for the living room. Anyone should be able to see what is coming, and the companies who fail to enter this new market will lose.

Microsh*t is installing a propreitary COMPUTER in millions of living rooms, and right now they have no competition. The Wii is to slow to run next-generation games like Oblivion, and there wont be enough PS3s for months. This fight for supremacy in the living room is a serious business because millions of people are spending billions of dollars on game consoles and games.

I just cant understand why Apple Computer cant see this coming.

To a certain extent I agree. If I were a gamer, I'd certainly buy an XBox360 because out of all the machines, it looks to me to be the best value for money. Combining that with Urge makes for a good way to rival the Itunes Music Store. However, that's assuming the people who are music fans are the same people who play games and I'm not sure they are.

Given the current success of the ipod, I also don't think that Urge on the Xbox360 will persuade people to buy a Zune if it's incompatible with the ipod. More likely Urge will flop.

About Apple entering the console market I don't know. I think more attention is needed on OS X games but the games console market is a totally different market from everything Apple is currently in and it looks to me like it's getting stale with repetitive titles.

If OS X could play PC CD/DVD games that you could pick up in a local store, I think that would do more for them than any console market would. Transgaming's Cider is ok but it won't let you play the huge array of PC games out there already nor will it let you play ones where developers decide not to use it.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    Marvin:

I'm not saying Apple Computer needs to make a new console, they need to make their computers better gaming machines. Look at the specs of a Mac Mini compared to the Xbox 360 or the Wii. There is just no reason that the Mii could not come with a controller, and Apple could finagle a few top teir studios to port their games to OS X.

That would create an installed base of good games, which would attract gamers to Macs. As more gamers bought Macs, the market would increase in size, and more companies would port their games to the Mac. It's simple really.

This is a market segment that Apple cannot ignore. As for your comment that people buying music online are not the same people buying games and consoles, are you crazy? This is the youth market, upscale, (or with upscale parents), with disposable income.

Hell the Xbox 360 costs $400, and games run $60 dollars apiece. And people are paying those prices because people love computer games. Again, we can argue what Apple will or will not do, but no one can deny that interactive digital entertainment, (games), is a huge and growing market.

• Reply 25 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Populist

Marvin:

I'm not saying Apple Computer needs to make a new console, they need to make their computers better gaming machines. Look at the specs of a Mac Mini compared to the Xbox 360 or the Wii. There is just no reason that the Mii could not come with a controller, and Apple could finagle a few top teir studios to port their games to OS X.

That would create an installed base of good games, which would attract gamers to Macs. As more gamers bought Macs, the market would increase in size, and more companies would port their games to the Mac. It's simple really.

This is a market segment that Apple cannot ignore. As for your comment that people buying music online are not the same people buying games and consoles, are you crazy? This is the youth market, upscale, (or with upscale parents), with disposable income.

Hell the Xbox 360 costs $400, and games run $60 dollars apiece. And people are paying those prices because people love computer games. Again, we can argue what Apple will or will not do, but no one can deny that interactive digital entertainment, (games), is a huge and growing market.

And Microsoft is losing billions of billions of dollars on it.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    True, but Apple is not charging $400 for a Mac Mini, so Apple makes money.

• Reply 27 of 35
    Well, maybe instead of Apple allowing iTunes on a Wii, maybe Apple should try acquire a license to put an official Wii emulator on a capable Mini complete with USB controllers.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dancm2000

Well, maybe instead of Apple allowing iTunes on a Wii, maybe Apple should try acquire a license to put an official Wii emulator on a capable Mini complete with USB controllers.

Or, someone could just buy the Wii itself.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    I've harped abot this before on the Mini Wii thread, and another series of posts where I argued that Apple MUST get competitive in the computer game market. Here are some facts from the President of Transgaming, the company that ports Windows games to Linux and has developed the same technology for the Mac:

Here are some interesting facts that most people might find surprising:

* Electronic Arts (the largest video game publisher in the world) is the fourth largest software company in the world, by market capitalization, after Microsoft, Oracle, and SAP.

* Electronic Arts' The Sims franchise has sold over 60 million units; The Sims franchise alone is valued at over 1 billion dollars.

* In 2005, over 228 million units of video games were sold in the United States.

* Sony has sold over 100 million units of the PlayStation 2 globally.

From a desktop perspective, video gaming is attributed to one of the top three reasons why consumers adopt a new desktop. Studies have shown that gaming comprises 18% of all desktop usage while surfing the Internet accounts for 35.5%. That being said, it remains unclear as to what percentage of web related usage is associated with playing on-line games. Thus, if one third of all web surfing, conservatively, was to play on-line video games, gaming becomes the number one application for overall desktop usage.

Apple Computer MUST become competitive in games to be competitive on the desktop or in the living room.

• Reply 30 of 35
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elixir

yeah they did, but of course they deny it.

No they didn't they've publicly amired and compaired themselves to apple for a while now.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

To a certain extent I agree. If I were a gamer, I'd certainly buy an XBox360 because out of all the machines, it looks to me to be the best value for money. Combining that with Urge makes for a good way to rival the Itunes Music Store.

How come people always bring that up? You want to be able to buy songs in your living room and download them to your console? You just sit in your living room and listen to music doing nothing else?

I just don't see a point of living room music stores. Someone has to decide between:

"Buy an xobx and then use urge to download to my tv, then put it on my zune! or download itunes for free, put on my ipod"

Even if urge or whatever the f MS wants to call their next iteration of the same concept, computers is where the battle is the hottest, who cares if I can use urge on my xobx, that's what makes urge better than itunes?

That seems like retarded logic.

And then all apple would have do is create 1 or 2 things to combat it:

1. an itunes web app, order from itunes without having to download a program, your library is stored online for you and you can play it from itv, any console with a browers, and can download a perminant copy to your tv.

2. an itunes widget offered free for Wii and PS3 users allowing them to purchase stuff from itunes onto their wiis and ps3s.

Being able to download music onto a console is no big deal, especially when you consider the hasle of transfering it to a computer, the reverse is much easier and already possible so who cares wars will not be won and lost on console music downloading.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    According to today's headlines, Microsoft just announced an 80GB hard drive for the XBox plus a new HD quality video download service. Apparently leaving Amazon out in the cold. All it needs is a TV tuner and a DVR.

Apple is going to respond with a box for similiar price that just plays movies?
  • Reply 33 of 35
    Ecking you said:

"2. an itunes widget offered free for Wii and PS3 users allowing them to purchase stuff from itunes onto their wiis and ps3s.

Being able to download music onto a console is no big deal, especially when you consider the hasle of transfering it to a computer, the reverse is much easier and already possible so who cares wars will not be won and lost on console music downloading."

You are suggesting tha Apple make a deal with Sony or Nintendo to put itunes on the console. Then you say downloading music onto a console is "no big deal". This makes no sense.

If Apple becomes dependent on another console, how does the Mac benefit? If M$ offers the capability of iTV on a console that rocks at games, which product do you think is going to sell more? Apple could introduce a "Mini Wii", or some such device that combines iTV, the Mini, and a game console into one box, and it would sell millions.

Even though it would be more expensive than an Xbox 360, it would still be competitive. Because this machine would be a computer, as well as a console and an iTV.

• Reply 34 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Apple will never work with any other game console either, so by that logic, you might as well close the thread.

I second the motion.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking

No they didn't they've publicly amired and compaired themselves to apple for a while now.

yeah? i dont recall anything of the sort, i could be wrong.

dance- do you have a link to the 80gb drive announcement?

Gears of War dropped today to critical acclaim, this is the killer app the 360 needed.

Gamspot- 9.6 out of 10

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/acti...&click=topslot

Yahoo Games- 4.5 out of 5

http://videogames.yahoo.com/gamerevi...e=1&eid=491455

DailyGame- 9 out of 10

http://www.dailygame.net/news/archives/006085.php

1up.com 10 out of 10

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3154958

G4tv 5 out of 5

http://www.gamingbits.com/content/view/1285/2/

IGN 9.4 out of 10

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/744/744356p1.html