Mac OS X Intel posts significant share gains in October

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple Computer's Intel-native Mac OS X operating system posted one of its largest share gains during the month of October, according to data released this month by market research firm Net Applications.

Based on the firm's calculations, Mac OS X for Intel was the only computer operating system to see its share rise beyond 10 basis points and was also one of only four to post positive gains, which included Mac OS X for PowerPC-based systems.

According to the data, Mac OS X Intel saw it share rise sharply from a 0.84 percent share in September to a 1.12 percent share during the month of October. Similarly, Mac OS X for PowerPC rose from a 3.88 percent share to 4.09 percent share.

The only other operating systems to increase their share of the OS usage market were Windows XP, which inched up 0.06 percent to 84.62 percent, and Windows Vista (beta), up 0.03 percent to 0.09 percent.

Windows 2000, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, and Linux all reflected slight share loss during the month. Of the five, Windows 2000 saw the largest decline from a 6.08 percent share to a 5.79 percent share.

Apple's Mac OS X Intel share gains underscore the company's extremely successful transition to Intel processors, which began in January and wrapped up during the first half of August.

During Apple's last fiscal quarter ended September, the Cupertino, Calif.-based company said it shipped a total of 1,610,000 Macintosh computers, the most ever during a three-month period in its corporate history.

Net Application's October operating system data would indicate that sales of Macs continued at a record pace during the month, in excess of 600,000 new systems.

Sales are Apple's Intel Macs during the 2006 holiday quarter are expected to best those posted during the December quarter when Apple releases its next set of quarterly results in mid-Janaury.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Quote:

Mac OS X for PowerPC rose from a 3.88 percent share to 4.09 percent share.

How the heck is that even possible? Were there that many more PCs than Macs taken out of service last month?
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Maybe it's professionals who still need PowerPC apps (e.g. Photoshop), who took advantage of people selling their G5's to buy Mac Pro's.

Edit: No wait, that would make it stay the same. Maybe it's the advertising campaign and the iPod halo effect then. Remember that Apple's store is still selling PowerMac G5s.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Sorry for that, but I have to smile when I see the last graph. From 0% to 1% ... ok, it is "sharply", but ... ahem ... lets say it's still not too much
  • Reply 4 of 17
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerLurker

How the heck is that even possible? Were there that many more PCs than Macs taken out of service last month?

I think it could be the systems that used to be used for Pro apps at work being sold off and a more conventional user uses it for web stuff more than the previous user. I was one of those people, I bought a dual G5 from a local publishing house for $450 a couple months ago.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    If the graph continues exponentially like that we'll have 3% share in January. Let's hope.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    It's a slow rise, but the curve is accelerating quicker than I ever would have thought...
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by running

Sorry for that, but I have to smile when I see the last graph. From 0% to 1% ... ok, it is "sharply", but ... ahem ... lets say it's still not too much

It's already well ahead of Linux (Ubuntu and all) which isn't too bad for a standing start and under 12 months! We're talking about measured as a % of all web active computers as well. That's a huge amount. 1% is much more impressive than it sounds.

My theory on the rise of PPC: it's a statistical fluke. I reckon it's the extra web use (since that's what these numbers are based on as I recall from previous issues) us PPC folks have been putting in on the Mac Web for nice new Intels to drool over before we buy!
  • Reply 8 of 17
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

I think it could be the systems that used to be used for Pro apps at work being sold off and a more conventional user uses it for web stuff more than the previous user. I was one of those people, I bought a dual G5 from a local publishing house for $450 a couple months ago.

It's mostly school sales. They don't measure the sales, or movements, of used machines.

Several school systems around the country are still buying iBooks from Apple.

Two reasons. The first is money. iBooks were less expensive than MacBooks are, and likely Apple is giving an even bigger discount.

Two is that schools move very slowly. They have older software and peripherals. Many schools are still on System 7 through 9. It's only been a few years since IIE's have been removed from classrooms.

Even here in NYC, we have several thousand All-In-One Mac's still in operation.

The only thing I don't get, is why the overall numbers here are so much lower than the current estimates for marketshare, which are around the 6% mark.

I'd love to read the entire report to understand how they are measuring this.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    OS X for Power PC share increased. Could that simply be OS 9 users upgrading to Mac OS X?
  • Reply 10 of 17
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    In the States? Worldwide?
  • Reply 11 of 17
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Well if this measured from what they gather online, maybe more osx ppc are using their computers for the internet these days instead of pro work where I know some people don't like to have their pro machines ever touch the net.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

The only thing I don't get, is why the overall numbers here are so much lower than the current estimates for marketshare, which are around the 6% mark.

Could this mean that of the 6% market share that is Mac, that 1% is Mactel and 5% is still PPC? I don't know. It would be good to see a table of the rest of the data.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacGregor

Could this mean that of the 6% market share that is Mac, that 1% is Mactel and 5% is still PPC? I don't know. It would be good to see a table of the rest of the data.

People think that these things measure Safari usage. And for a short while I did as well. That would explain the difference to a degree. But it doesn't. Every time you go to a site they not only know your browser, but the OS, and IP address as well. So that couldn't be it.

The other thing that may seem to be strange is that we like to think the percentage of Mac users is LARGER than the marketshare of currently selling products. But here, it is LOWER. If it's for the US, a problem. If for the world, it looks good.

An anomaly? Perhaps our estimates are wrong after all.

http://switchtoamac.com/site/apples-...ates.html#more
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Count me In I have made the switch!.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

People think that these things measure Safari usage. And for a short while I did as well. That would explain the difference to a degree. But it doesn't. Every time you go to a site they not only know your browser, but the OS, and IP address as well. So that couldn't be it.

The other thing that may seem to be strange is that we like to think the percentage of Mac users is LARGER than the marketshare of currently selling products. But here, it is LOWER. If it's for the US, a problem. If for the world, it looks good.

An anomaly? Perhaps our estimates are wrong after all.

http://switchtoamac.com/site/apples-...ates.html#more

There could be any number of reasons. Without access to the methodology and the data it's really hard to say. I sure as heck can't find this data or the report. It could be a sites in question are a domestically targeted site but has a good international user base.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hugodrax

Count me In I have made the switch!.

Thank you!
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

There could be any number of reasons. Without access to the methodology and the data it's really hard to say. I sure as heck can't find this data or the report. It could be a sites in question are a domestically targeted site but has a good international user base.

You'll have to pay for the report. Their customers know where the numbers came from.