Racism or Non-Issue?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo

What I'm saying is that because political correctness has pushed a lot of latent racism under the surface we don't see all that is there. Then because we don't see all that is there people think the problem is solved, when it not.

So true.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    If you don't like the party, don't show up!
  • Reply 23 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mattyj

... Remember, racism means hating someone because of the colour of their skin and physical differences, it has nothing to do with culture and therefore this is not racist...

Racism is the belief that everyone of a biological group is inferior because of their genetics. The main problems we have in Black and White relations today is a residual of slavery which was based on the argument that Africans and American Indians were subhuman, did not have souls, and did not deserve protection from being treated as other non-human animals. This included owning, beating, and killing at will by Christians,who claimed to have the only souls around. The hate dimension emerged as the racist beliefs were challenged. Was this incident racist? Yes, there is no other way to look at using an African-American theme for Halloween costumes that were supposed to be scary. Adding the lynching can be interpreted as nothing but a statement to Blacks to "Fear This" and "Remember Your Place or else". It may not have been as bad as the Halloween party at the fraternity in Auburn back in '01 but it clearly looks like they were trying to ape their good ol' Alabama Brothers who may be last in almost everything else but sure are up there near the top when it comes to racism. Who, by the way, always say talking about or pointing out racism only makes it worse. Not pointing it out and talking about it only lets the racist be comfortable in their racism. And when I hear someone say talking about it only makes it worse I know I'm listening to some who is made uncomfortable by talking about racism.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Yes of course. Ever known people to use the 'racism card'? It happens all the time, because this is such a 'hot topic', let it go, it's boring already.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    Here's part of the university's response:

Quote:

"It's as simple as this: The adoption of racial stereotyping as a party theme is a repugnant act, and groups that want to consider themselves Johns Hopkins student organizations should understand that the university will not tolerate it."

http://www.jhu.edu/news_info/news/ho...ct06/frat.html
  • Reply 26 of 37
  • Reply 27 of 37
    Here's the verdict.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061121/...alloween_party

What's the point of a punishment like this? This is why I've always believed student councils are a joke. If it was such a big issue, why give a slap on the wrist? Because of public outcry, the university felt they had to do something. They should have done the right thing and simply use common sense. Nothing should have came out of this affair...
  • Reply 28 of 37
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Bling Bling

I thought the punishement was a bit harsh.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    I am so sick of blacks pulling out the race card over every freakin thing. Holywood glorifies Gangters and that way of life and we wonder why things are the way they are. And as far as the NAACP goes, I think they are one of the biggest racist organizations there is. Yea, I said it. This is ridiculous.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Yeah well I talked to the President of JHU's Black Student Union on Tuesday and she said the invitation described Baltimore as an "HIV pit" and that some people came dressed as slaves.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ

Yeah well I talked to the President of JHU's Black Student Union on Tuesday and she said the invitation described Baltimore as an "HIV pit" and that some people came dressed as slaves.

That's fucked up. Creative. But fucked up.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Irish1978

I am so sick of blacks pulling out the race card over every freakin thing. Holywood glorifies Gangters and that way of life and we wonder why things are the way they are. And as far as the NAACP goes, I think they are one of the biggest racist organizations there is. Yea, I said it. This is ridiculous.

How are you qualified to speak blacks and Race Cards? How would the Irish people on campus feel if a group of people put on Irish Kilts and danced around lampooning your culture? How is Hollywood's glorification of Gangsters relevant to this story? How is an organization by the name of National Association for the Advancement of Colore People" racist? Isn't their main purpose to focus on the needs of their cultural ethnicity? Is B'nai B'rith racist for focusing on Jewish affairs? Is the Irish Society racist for focusing on those who are interested in the Irish heritage?

http://www.irish-society.org/mission.htm

Yeah you said it but you really didn't bring anything to the table. I believe the Frat had the right to host the party. It may have been racially insensitive or in poor judgement but unless they specifically barred blacks from attending I see nothing wrong with what they've done. What the school has done is created a link between this stereotype and black culture and that's wrong. There's nothing wrong with whites having gold fronts or acting like pale Lil Jon's. You just just don't see it too often because that shite is tacky.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ

See now that's getting to the point where it's just indefensible. The Frat pretty much was asking for trouble. The "Hood" and slaves are incongruent. Ali G kind of lampoons the whole Hip Hop genre but calling Baltimore an HIV pit and coming as slaves just wrecks any spirit of the party.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Here's more.

Quote:

A small group of black students went to the party and said white students were dressed as pimps, prostitutes — and slaves. Outside the front door of the house in the 200 block of East 33rd Street was a plastic skeleton dressed as a pirate, hanging from a rope noose.

“And then as you walked up to the house, you heard fake gunshots — as if there is a gun fight in this neighborhood every night,” said freshman Blake Edwards, 18. “The noose is extremely offensive and makes a mockery of the minority students that go to school here. Several of the girls I went with left in tears.

Fake gunshots?

Pretty shameful stuff.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    What were the black students dressed as?
  • Reply 36 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison

How are you qualified to speak blacks and Race Cards? How would the Irish people on campus feel if a group of people put on Irish Kilts and danced around lampooning your culture? How is Hollywood's glorification of Gangsters relevant to this story? How is an organization by the name of National Association for the Advancement of Colore People" racist? Isn't their main purpose to focus on the needs of their cultural ethnicity? Is B'nai B'rith racist for focusing on Jewish affairs? Is the Irish Society racist for focusing on those who are interested in the Irish heritage?

es

http://www.irish-society.org/mission.htm

Yeah you said it but you really didn't bring anything to the table. I believe the Frat had the right to host the party. It may have been racially insensitive or in poor judgement but unless they specifically barred blacks from attending I see nothing wrong with what they've done. What the school has done is created a link between this stereotype and black culture and that's wrong. There's nothing wrong with whites having gold fronts or acting like pale Lil Jon's. You just just don't see it too often because that shite is tacky.

I don't seem to see too many Irish American yelling racism and I would hardly call grillz, bling bling, ice ice, and hoochie hoops culture. If the frat was running around in white hoods and burnning crosses then that would be a big problem. and futher more Holywood has a lot to do with when you see this on the t.v. and here it on the radio, I even listen to rap, and i find myself using this slang to joke around and have fun, but in no way do I mean to be racist. I am sick of the hyper-sensitivity, if you will, of diffrent races. If someone who is not Irish wants to dance around in a kilt and listen to Irish folk music, in no way would that offend me. If someone wants to call me a mic, no offense taken. Now if there were people dressed as slaves like was posted, again big problems in my book. By the way I am qualified to speak and have an opinion on any subject I wish, last Time I checked I live in America. That doesn't mean you have to agree.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    No one's lampooning Irish people although some Irish get testy when you equate them to fighting drunkards. It's a stereotype that has little place with today's proud culture. I guess the more appropriate thing to call that stuff would be a sub-culture.

Well I'm a little nonplussed about how Halloween in the Hood has people coming as slaves. The message here's a little unfocused. Yes you are entitled to speak on any subject you wish but your lack of experience as anything other than a person of Irish descent makes your thoughts on other races kind of anecdotal. Trust me ...you're an excellent source for info on the Irish but I doubt you have much experience being a Mexican or an African American or Asian. We can, however, agree to disagree. It's a free country.