13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 42 of 46
    Welcome, and brilliant work Slewis.
  • Reply 43 of 46
    Yes, Slewis, very good post. None of that idealistic non-specific vague bull shit.

I would definitely recommend the MacBook Pro over the MacBook by the way. Upgrading with laptops is difficult and the MacBook Pro is the perfect amount of features at a decent price and the technology will last you longer.
  • Reply 44 of 46
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 45 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis

Thanks

I sort of have a habit for making posts longer then they need to be though

Well I was thinking about the Macbook Pro, but then I thought about how much I would need the dedicated GPU, then I thought about the HDD, then the one who originally talked me into getting a Mac thinks I might be better off with a Macbook, though I kind of take his opinion with a grain of salt because 1) He's an Absolute Fanboy blind to anything that may sully his Mac and 2) We got into an Argument about Bonjour, which he used to think was just a Messenger in iChat AV (which it obviously isn't)

I was also worried about Core Image and Core Animation though when browsing the forums here I had those questions answered.

See, an overly long post already. heh heh

Currently Listening To: Zanarkand-Final Fantasy X OST-Nobuo Uematsu

Nah, this post isn't took long. I've had some extremely long posts before. Anyways, it's not really about whether you need the GPU now (you probably don't unless you are a gamer or are into graphics), but the real question is, will you need it down the road, and the answer is YES. You always want the most up-to-date GPU because the next generation of whatever will require it, including core technologies in Mac OS X (not Leopard, but after it). Apart from GPU, there are other advantages to the MacBook Pro. 15" screen is a huge one. Also, the screen is brighter than the MacBook. My sister has a MacBook Pro and she loves it.
  • Reply 46 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TednDi View Post

What do you think we will see then?

Maybe an eye interface that will allow you to use it like a mouse plus speech recognition so that you can look at five different windows on one screen in Expose mode, focus on a particular window, and close it by saying, "close." Say "Space five" and switch to that space. Look at the "Get Mail" icon in the tool bar and say "Dot" (for a single click) or look at a particular message and say "Reply." You have a bunch of tabs open in Firefox, and you want to close all but two tabs. Look repeatedly at two tabs (might be 10 tabs apart) back and forth and say "close all except" (meaning close all but tabs you are looking at repeatedly. Look at a spam message in Mail and say "Junk."

In a few years, we might see people standing staring into nothing when really they're talking to someone on their iSpeak (which would supercede the iPhone) via a speech neural network installed in their heads. Or they might ignore you when you try to say hi or approach them. Problem is, a conversation can go like this:

iSpeak rings. Everything is said mentally via a speech processor in the iPhone. Remember that.

"Hello?"

"Hi, this is David at XYZ."

"Sigh. What does he want now."

"Uh, excuse me? Is something wrong."

"I'm sorry, it's just I'm at the mall right now."

"Well, something came up, and we need you to come in to fill in a shift for someone."

"Oh crap man. I'd wish he'd leave me alone on my days off."

'Suzanne, we need you to come in and we need to have a talk with you about your attitude."

At the end of the conversation (because this device is being tested and Suzanne is not yet very good at parsing personal thoughts into the "thought bucket" (bit bucket - get it? So certain thoughts are not being transmitted to the iPhone)), Suzanne forgets to think "hang up," and thinks "F*** A**."

"Fine. We will discuss your termination when you get here."

I'm not sure I want this... Remember - resistance is futile.