Disney sells nearly a half million films through iTunes

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 71
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun

Okay, found another one with that exact figure from Businesweek...

As the largest seller of DVDs, Wal-Mart accounts for roughly 40% of the $17 billion in DVDs that will be sold this year, a financial lifeline to big-spending studios.

Full article: http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/...831_806225.htm

That's interesting, so I've bookmarked it.

It's very odd though. I did read in the times not too long ago that DVD sales in the US were $5 billion in 2005. As I can't find the article now, I can't go back and see what they meant.

Unless they made a typo, and meant rental totals which were about that number.
  • Reply 62 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

It's very odd though. I did read in the times not too long ago that DVD sales in the US were $5 billion in 2005. As I can't find the article now, I can't go back and see what they meant...Unless they made a typo, and meant rental totals which were about that number.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/...-success_x.htm

August 2004

Has "Total DVD revenue last year (2003) hit $17.5 billion ? $12.1 billion in sales, $5.4 billion in rentals ? according to new industry totals from market tracking firm Adams Media Research. That surpasses the most optimistic expectations and overshadows spending on movie tickets, music CDs and video games."

Other interesting bits:

"Each DVD amounts to a consumer devoting money and time to watching a movie at home, sometimes in lieu of going to a theater or watching TV or listening to a CD. "DVD has become a cultural phenomenon. This season it was the gift to give and the gift to get," says Robert Chapek of the Digital Entertainment Group trade association (which estimates 2003 DVD revenues slightly lower, at $16.1 billion) and Disney's Buena Vista Home Video.

His studio had three of the top 10 DVDs of 2003 ?Nemo, Pirates of the Caribbean and The Lion King Special Edition. Nearly 20 million Nemo DVDs have sold in the past two months at an average of $17 each. In the first week alone, Disney sold 11 million Nemo DVDs. Rentals have generated millions more."
  • Reply 63 of 71
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

C'mon, are you saying the 25 and under crowd can't tell a half-assed deal when they see it? They are probably just downloading illegally or ripping DVDs anyway.

This is the same crowd that made buying $3 ring tones of music that you can buy cheaper into a billion dollar feature.

This group generally has not yet learned the value of money and is more willing to spend it on things they really don't need.

Quote:

Under 25's college kids have less disposable income to spend on puchasing $10-$15 movies. And by the way, I'm 32, who are you calling an old fart?

That is a very desirable group for marketing because they get a lot of money from their parents and they are less conscious of how they spend money.

By the time you are in your late 20' into your 30's generally you are making your own money and are far more conscious and cautious with how you spend it.
  • Reply 64 of 71
    Who do you guys think made Myspace, Flickr, and YouTube so popular?

The 25 and under market.
  • Reply 65 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell

This is the same crowd that made buying $3 ring tones of music that you can buy cheaper into a billion dollar feature.

Good point.
  • Reply 66 of 71
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun

Lastly, the link from the Digital Entertainment Group whom track shipments of DVD's in North America support that dollar amount by showing that there were 1.65 billion DVD's shipped to retailers (in North America) in 2005. I realize that just because a DVD is shipped it is not neccessarily sold, but if you figure an average selling price of $12 x 1.65 billion DVD's, the total revenue is AT LEAST 17 billion.

Are we talking sell price to consumer or the wholesale price? The wholesale price is closer to studio revenue than anything else would be. I think assuming $12 may be a bit much, but that depends on whether a package sale is counted as a DVD sale, or if the number of DVDs in the package is counted, be it a two-pack or three-pack movie or a multi-DVD TV series.
  • Reply 67 of 71
    Quote:

...By the time you are in your late 20' into your 30's generally you are making your own money and are far more conscious and cautious with how you spend it.

I would be cautious not to mistake *what* is purchased with the actual *purchasing power* of the late 20s to 40s crowd. The older crowd has a significantly higher purchasing power, that is, they spend more, definitely, then the teenagers and early-20-somethings. They just spend it on different things, like Macs, Plasma/LCD TVs, Houses/Apartments... Yeah they don't buy ringtones, anyone older than 25 has *got* to know that's a bunch of bollocks. 8)
  • Reply 68 of 71
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

Are we talking sell price to consumer or the wholesale price? The wholesale price is closer to studio revenue than anything else would be. I think assuming $12 may be a bit much, but that depends on whether a package sale is counted as a DVD sale, or if the number of DVDs in the package is counted, be it a two-pack or three-pack movie or a multi-DVD TV series.

If you look at the sales brochures packed with the weekend newspapers, you will see quite a few DVD's at $11.95, $10,95, $9.95, and even below that. Go to Blockbuster, or Best Buy, and you will find older DVD's going for $8.95 and $7.95.

I don't know what the percentage of each catagory is, but they certainly do bring the average price down. $12 average is not out of the question.
  • Reply 69 of 71
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

If you look at the sales brochures packed with the weekend newspapers, you will see quite a few DVD's at $11.95, $10,95, $9.95, and even below that. Go to Blockbuster, or Best Buy, and you will find older DVD's going for $8.95 and $7.95.

I don't know what the percentage of each catagory is, but they certainly do bring the average price down. $12 average is not out of the question.

Not only that, but I've seen pretty big $6 bins at Wal*Mart and Sam's Club, and that's mostly Hollywood titles after a few reprices, not the the very cheap or old stuff from studios no one has heard of, which can go for even less.

I was suggesting that the $12 assumption might be above the real average, not below. And if the sales are counting individual discs rather than packages that may or may not contain multiple discs, then $12 a disc might be way above the real average.
  • Reply 70 of 71
    Quote:

I would be cautious not to mistake *what* is purchased with the actual *purchasing power* of the late 20s to 40s crowd.

No I'm not mistaking the two. I'm saying that people 25 and below generally are less responsible with money than the older demographics who have to actually work and pay bills.

Some points from an article:

The average American teen spent more than $104 a week in 2001, according to the marketing research firm Teenage Research Unlimited -- up from $78 just four years ago. Last year, American teens spent over $129 billion on retail purchases, according to a Rand youth poll. Surveys show that part-time jobs and generous parents provide typical teens with monthly shopping budgets that approach $400 on the average. That makes teenagers a marketer's dream.

Now the frenzy has reached an all-time high, with marketers zeroing in on Baby Boomers' sons and daughters, 32 million in all. In sheer numbers, they are the largest cohort of teens in the nation's history. In the past five years, teenage spending has gone from $122 billion a year to $172 billion, according to Teenage Research Unlimited.The result is a huge machine marketing directly to children. Advertisers hawk Blue's Clues Macaroni and Cheese and Heinz green ketchup to little kids, and everything from snowboards to Jeeps to older teens.

If the must-spend habit persists into adulthood, today's teenagers may find themselves headed for trouble, says psychologist Ted Feinberg, assistant executive director of the National Association of School Psychologists.

Feinberg said teens need more guidance where money is concerned."If we don't teach our children that delaying gratification has some value, then we are giving them a false message that the stream of discretionary dollars will always be there," he said.

Some of the consequences are already clear. The fastest-growing group of bankruptcy filers is people age 25 and younger, according to Manning, the author of "Credit Card Nation."
  • Reply 71 of 71
    Quote:

No I'm not mistaking the two. I'm saying that people 25 and below generally are less responsible with money than the older demographics who have to actually work and pay bills.

No worries. 8) I get your points re: 25 and older.... Here in Austrayylieer I just got offered a MasterCard increase in my credit limit from $4400 to $7500 because I was hardly using it at all the past 2 years - it's just for emergencies after I blew the full $4400 in 2003-2004 and had to get my parents to help to slowly pay it off in 2005-2006. Along with some important tax refund I was getting. Good times