Perennial coffee thread: how do you take it?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I'm very sensitive to caffeine, and don't usually drink coffee. Except on Friday. Now I'm hyper. Even so I'll try to keep it to no more than one cup.

I like taking a fairly strong bean, having it ground very fine, and brewing it turkish style. But when I'm at the office I don't have that luxury. However, I've found that if you pack in a dense little cone of grinds into the bottom of the percolator, and run it in two cup bursts, you can actually get decent coffee out of it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    Well, I add a bit of sugar (quite a bit actually), maybe some milk. Remove the coffee, add some tea...
  • Reply 2 of 56
    Grab mug, grab coffee pot, pour coffee into mug. Done. 8)
  • Reply 3 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne

Grab mug, grab coffee pot, pour coffee into mug. Done. 8)

Do you live in Jupiter? (That is, Jupiter, FL) If so, that's a pretty solid double meaning in your user name.
  • Reply 4 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel

Do you live in Jupiter?

Why yes, I do.
  • Reply 5 of 56
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    I used to use a Newco commercial drip pot with paper filters. I have found that I like machines that keep a reservoir of hot water, because a constant temperature means less bitterness (i.e. the machines that take cold water and heat it up as it flows through the machine taste worse). A paper filter also removes bitterness.

I had the perfect cup of coffee using an unknown type of bean and this setup - the lady who bought the beans went for whatever was on sale that week, and I delayed a couple months asking her what it was. I tried hundreds of kinds of beans - the closest that I could get was organic Kona, and high altitude Mexican (both of which are very rich flavors, with very little bitterness), but I never was able to recreate that total sense of bliss that I got from the original.

I finally gave up, and bought a flavia machine for convenience - I use the Sumatra packs:

www.flavia.net
  • Reply 6 of 56
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    I'm a bit of a contradiction-- I like the darkest roast but I put tons of milk in it.
  • Reply 7 of 56
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Black. Strong. Like Hassan i Sabbah.
  • Reply 8 of 56
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Harald

Black. Strong. Like Hassan i Sabbah.

Hassan is black and strong?
  • Reply 9 of 56
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    And Instant?
  • Reply 10 of 56
    Wow, I figured you guys just went to WaWa or something...

Or maybe because of your busy schedule, you can order it from a touch screen while you're getting gas, cleaning your winshield, and eating a hoagie at the same time...
  • Reply 11 of 56
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Got the Bodum vacuum extraction coffee maker and it's great. You put the coffee in the top and the water in the bottom. The water boils up to the top and when there's none left it gets steamed for a little while. When the heating element clicks off the carafe cools down and the vacuum sucks the brewed coffee back down. There's a screen in the upper bowl to keep the gowns out. The best part is that the first cup is very hot and the rest a pretty good. It's the best coffee I've ever had at home.

I take my coffee with cream and sugar unless I'm eating a muffin or something and then I put less sugar in it.
  • Reply 12 of 56
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Fresh ground beans, French Press. No drop off in convenience or quality when I go traveling or camping.
  • Reply 13 of 56
    I have my coffee with milk and 3 teaspoons of sugar.
  • Reply 14 of 56
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood

Or maybe because of your busy schedule, you can order it from a touch screen while you're getting gas, cleaning your winshield, and eating a hoagie at the same time...

Go for it! Let the WaWa Wars begin anew!
  • Reply 15 of 56
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
  • Reply 16 of 56
    I have usually a cup every morning. More than that and I get nervy. On the way to work I pass two Starbucks (nuh uh, not going there) to The Last Drop, one of the finest cafes around Philly. Get a cup with sugar and half & half. By the time the bus drops me off to work the cup is half full and a little cold. I get a refill at work to remedy that. But that's it. More than that I'm walking walls.
  • Reply 17 of 56
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Lately it has been constant coffee for me in any way that I can get it. Prefer with a touch of cream and two packets of sugar/splenda. But black will do just fine for sipping. Total daily intake is probably close to 6-8 cups... I know, way too much, but its so good and I have to admit that I am so much more focused with the caffeine on board.
  • Reply 18 of 56
    Today I started with an Uganda Organic Bugisu strait single shot ground with a Mazzer Major and pulled with a crotchless Andreja. It was roasted a week ago Friday so it was past its prime but still has a lot of body with rustic notes and some fruit flavor that I can't identify. Made my wife a triple shot capuchino of a Nicaraguan Matagalpa-Pacamara Peaberry roasted to City + and rested three days. Made pancakes for the grandson and made myself the same capuchino I made my wife, but I add a little sugar, and drank it with the pancake and sausage breakfast. This is a much brighter cup and has a real coffee taste that is almost hidden by several complex secondary flavors. After the pancakes I took the grandson and the dogs for a walk in the woods and came back to the last of the capuchino. It was quite cool and exploding with flavors that haunted my mouth for hours.

I'm serious about my coffee.
  • Reply 19 of 56
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    You are *so* making that up.

I mean come on... *pancakes*?

• Reply 20 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood

I don't live in WaWa territory anymore. Even so, there's not touchscreen for the coffee. It's self-service. You order your hoagie on the touchscreen, and while it's being made you pour yourself some coffee.