iPhone plus dot Mac equals Halo 2

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The iPod plays different types of media, and iTunes plays all of them. The iPod's app is iTunes. The iPhone will integrate with iTunes too, but if it's going to sell anything like the iPod, it has to be a phone first, and an iPod second. The iPod is a music player first, and a video player second. As a result as a phone will need an app to integrate with. So a phone from Apple will integrate with iChat through wireless, and through other unannounced features in iChat 4.0. Why else would they put so much of those features from Photo Booth into iChat, for the kids of course, and for the iPhone of course.

Next two steps:

1. iChat 4.0 to gain full Skype-like VoiP functionality and to integrate seemlessly with iPhone.

2. I would be willing to bet $1Million that Apple will make iChat 4.0 for Windows in 2007. There's not one element of doubt in my mind that this will happen.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis

Obviously the first place to look would be Address Book which already integrates with Bluetooth phones, but if they were looking for Calendar Syncing, iTunes Syncing, and iPhoto syncing (again, away from the bottom line but they know their place) then iSync would likely be the better app to sync with.

Really? You don't think the iPhone syncing with iTunes is very important? Clearly you're missing the point of what the first iPhone will be about then. Who really gives a shit about Address Book.. anyway that's a minor thing.

1. iTunes is the most important app for the iPhone.

2. As with the iPod, the iPhone will get their photo and contact integration through iTunes.

3. iChat will not be for instant messaging through the iPhone, but for oral and video communication. If Apple does this the way I'm predicting, you'll launch iChat on your Mac or PC (with your iPhone if you wish), your Mac or PC's iChat application will see iPhone, and iPhone will take control iChat seemlessly. You select John on your iPhone and choose an option:

1. Call John

2. Text John

3. Call John through iChat

4. Show John's info.

(this list could rotate depending on whether iChat is open or not, and other factors too, like what option you choose most often)

You choose "Call John through iChat", and miracles begin, you can then walk around your house and look at and speak, or just speak to John across the world for a small Skype-like fee.

They could take this a step furthur. When your select "Call John through iChat", john's iPhone could detect the signal, and could launch his iChat if he's near his computer to boost the signal and enable other functions too, provided John has tagged you as a "freind" in his contacts book. If John hasn't tagged you, then he may get a message: "It's Ireland, do you want to launch an iChat, yes / no". If John is not near his computer, then the iPhone will do all the dirty work.

Boy.. I'm excited about the next year, for the first time in years.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

Really? You don't think the iPhone syncing with iTunes is very important? Clearly you're missing the point of what the first iPhone will be about then. Who really gives a shit about Address Book.. anyway that's a minor thing.

1. iTunes is the most important app for the iPhone.

2. As with the iPod, the iPhone will get their photo and contact integration through iTunes.

3. iChat will not be for instant messaging through the iPhone, but for oral and video communication. If Apple does this the way I'm predicting, you'll launch iChat on your Mac or PC (with your iPhone if you wish), your Mac or PC's iChat application will see iPhone, and iPhone will take control iChat seemlessly. You select John on your iPhone and choose an option:

I just about disagree with everything you are saying.

If Apple is to produce a successful phone product then at the heart of the proposition has to be great telephony. If the device is an iPod with telephony, I can't see why it would succeed.

Apple could succeed in this space if it offered a clearly differentiated device. Not by inventing new technology, but by using existing technology in a new way. Coupling a dumb phone client to a smart back end server (like dot mac) and syncing the two over GPRS - would allow a phone to leapfrog over its competitors . It could do stuff like....

* Instant always-on email - accessing your main email account.

* full web browsing - with synced bookmarks and cookies from your main web browser

* Real time RSS feeds

* instant messaging

* live remote syncing with personal data. (Address / Schedule / Files )

I hope if Apple does want to include iChat functionality, they fix iChat first. It's the one Apple application which the tag "it just works" does not apply. The Mac Skype client totally destroys iChat. iChat is based on AIM which is a US only IM protocol, and the AV component trips over on a bunch of firewalls. It just does not work seamlessly (as in without seams)

C.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    This isn't an "either/or" situation. Both of you gentlemen could be exactly right. C- With your idea the syncing of data between your mac and your phone is dealt with through a .Mac back-end server setup, with software running on .Mac and your iPhone simply displaying that info. Add a good browser that interates RSS and a screen that can display a web page properly and you've got your phone.

To truly take over the market Apple must integrate iTunes into the phone. People are starting to realize that carrying around an iPod and a phone is getting annoying, even if they are both small phones. That's why music phones are picking up in popularity. Ireland's VoIP idea and iTunes integration is not too off-the-wall for an Apple product. When you're on the road your phone is self-contained making iChat connections on it's own. When you're home with your mac/PC it makes iChat connections through your computer like a wireless Skype phone. Since the new iPhone will have music integration syncing with iTunes is a must (wireless or not). Otherwise it would be difficult to get your content onto your phone.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage

If Apple is to produce a successful phone product then at the heart of the proposition has to be great telephony. If the device is an iPod with telephony, I can't see why it would succeed.

I can! And by the way I agree with your other points, the GRPS syncing could happen too. As Skwidspawn said they could quite as easily do one of those things, as do them both. I just feel that thus far VioP has yet to become truly mainstream, an Apple has the talent and the opportunity to make that happen.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Home on iphone!

All your shit is right there no matter what computer you use it on.

all your cookies and your private browsing are fed through your iphone and synched with your home computer.

Take a look at the integration of remote desktop in to Leopard.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    But how do get people who are locked in to there network can't get a apple phone with paying a big fee to switch to a apple phone and network?

What about kids who want one can't as there family has a plan with a different net work.