Microsoft's Windows Vista released to manufacturing

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Populist

Thanks for that info sunilraman.

You sound pretty technically informed, so can I ask you, what engine powers Resistance Fall of Man the new game on PS3? It's sure not the Quake/Doom 3 engine is it?

I am not familiar with that game or more so console games. I was just commenting that... I finished Quake4 on PC and played a bit of Doom 3. From a personal-visual-taste point of view I like HalfLife2 (particularly now with HDR) and F.E.A.R. and NeedForSpeed:Most Wanted. These are all on settings that are appropriate for my rig, AMD64 Venice3000 OC'ed 2.15ghz 1GB RAM 7200rpm SATA 6600GT 128mbVRAM OC'ed 560mhz gpu core.

I liked the visual style of LOTR: Battle for Middle Earth (2 I think) but not Age of Empires 3. Although dated, the UT2004 engine is quite nice and fluid on 4xAA and 16xAF... personal taste, again.

I'd love to see what sort of graphics come out of PS3. The Quake4 engine could/may be very beautiful on very high settings driven by the PS3 core(s)...
  • Reply 42 of 45
    I just found out that Resistance Fall of Man runs on a proprietary engine created by Insomniac Games. They created the Ratchet and Clank series for the PS2 before tackling Resistance Fall of Man. Howevr, if this is all the PS3 has in terms of graphics engine support, it does not bode well for Sony's new console.

And of course the Mac is in the same boat.

• Reply 43 of 45
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 44 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis

Or my Favorite for Media Center:

Microsoft Windows Media Center Edition 2005 XP Service Pack 2 Rollup 2

ROFLMAO That totally sounds like you made it up... but you didn't WTF.

Quote:
    • Windows Vista Home Basic

• Windows Vista Home Premium

• Windows Vista Business

• Windows Vista Enterprise

• Windows Vista Ultimate

I read in a reputable Aust. computer magazine there are about eight [8]!!! versions of Vista.

Quote:

Then we go to Office...

Quote:

That's not even including Microsoft Works, which is technically part of Office, or Office Live, or any of the Server components of Office.

Oh boy.
  • Reply 45 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Populist

I just found out that Resistance Fall of Man runs on a proprietary engine created by Insomniac Games. They created the Ratchet and Clank series for the PS2 before tackling Resistance Fall of Man. Howevr, if this is all the PS3 has in terms of graphics engine support, it does not bode well for Sony's new console.

And of course the Mac is in the same boat. ...

AFAIK PS3 is challenging because it's going to take a while for developers to figure out how to use Cell and the cores and all that to the best of their ability. There's a lot of potential. I have no idea what engines/ APIs are out there for PS3.

Mac is kinda OK, in the sense that everything is pretty much OpenGL. Which is the next biggest thing after DirectX, when it comes to PCs and Macs.

Again I'm lost when it comes to consoles. It's a whole 'nother world. Given the PS2's success, if PS3 can match or better it, it will be around until the end of this decade, and games will get better on it (ideally) as developers become more familiar with it.

I am wondering how the dev teams that make games handle all the porting and final builds for consoles, PC, Mac, etc. Unfortunately only the big titles have the funding to do it... Nonetheless, native Mac OSX gaming is still around, and BootCamp offers a lot of possibilities for Macs just doing PC-WinXP2 gaming.

It's interesting.....................What engine does the PS2 use? What sort of APIs? Anyone?